PDA

View Full Version : It's Official

NWBasser
July 25th, 2011, 03:17 PM
:reallymad:I'm an idiot.

For years I laughed at the stories of people driving into their garages with the bikes on the roof and the resulting damage.

So what did I do on Saturday afternoon?

:mad:flamemad::reallymad:

I'll give you one guess...

I broke the wheel tabs off my very expensive Fox fork and shredded the rear wheel holder on the rack.

The only consolation is that I haven't seen any damage to my Titus frame, which is really expensive.

Spud, Tig, Steve - Any recommendations for 5-inch travel fork for not too much $$?

Tig
July 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Sorry to hear this. :thwap I'm way out of touch on forks.
An old teammate of mine is the Titus marketing guy, but I doubt he can help on this.

Spudman
July 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I don't have any recommendations for forks, but I would recommend a sign hanging down at eye level from your garage ceiling that reminds you that you might have a bike on the car.

If you find a fork that you like and are internet shopping check here for price comparisons http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/

S (http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/)orry about your destruction. Great story though. Welcome to the club.

Ch0jin
July 25th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Pix or it didn't happen :)

NWBasser
July 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Pix or it didn't happen :)

Wait a minute!

If I don't take any pics, then the whole disaster never happened??!!

I'll burn my camera to have my fork back!

FrankenFretter
July 25th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I'd recommend a RockShox Mag 21. Old school, baby!

Seriously Jason, that's a shame. I think I'm just lucky that I never had a garage to pull into. I did almost do some damage one time pulling into the parkade on Railroad in Bellingham; luckily I was going slow enough that I heard and felt the handlebar touch the clearance warning bar before any damage was done.

Good luck on your fork hunt, brother!

Eric
July 25th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Yikes! Sorry to hear about that, but I'm more than a little relieved it didn't have anything to do with musical equipment!

Spudman
July 25th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Yikes! Sorry to hear about that, but I'm more than a little relieved it didn't have anything to do with musical equipment!

...but dude. it's his BIKE! :thwap:cry:

NWBasser
July 26th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Unfortunately, in a tangential manner, it does.

A new fork will cut seriously into my music gear funds. I had my eye on a new bass amph head that will now have to wait.

marnold
July 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I'd like to mock you, but as someone who injured his hand in a running snowblower . . .

I guess it does give new meaning to the term "the fork in the road."

As a matter of fact, when you recognized what you did, a word remarkably similar to "fork" probably came to mind.

Ch0jin
July 26th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Wait a minute!

If I don't take any pics, then the whole disaster never happened??!!

I'll burn my camera to have my fork back!

It seems my comments clearly fell in to the "Too Soon" category huh.

It does suck about your bike. I have RockShox on the front of my MTB, but not the terribly expensive kind. In fact I'm lucky that apart from a couple of scratches from where I've laid it down (once at some speed, and once as a result of a car running into me while I was stationary) and a rear tyre that got a serious flat spot due to some hectic emergency braking, I've been lucky.

Dragon Rider
July 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM
on the bright side, you did get the car into the garage
so you can feel better by comparison

http://www.stilllifecafe.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/weinermobile-crash.jpg

http://www.carunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Ford-pickup-truck-smashed-into-Ferrari-in-parking-garage.jpg

Spudman
July 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM
:rollover I'm glad I don't have a garage...sometimes.

NWBasser
July 27th, 2011, 01:05 PM
It seems my comments clearly fell in to the "Too Soon" category huh.

It does suck about your bike. I have RockShox on the front of my MTB, but not the terribly expensive kind. In fact I'm lucky that apart from a couple of scratches from where I've laid it down (once at some speed, and once as a result of a car running into me while I was stationary) and a rear tyre that got a serious flat spot due to some hectic emergency braking, I've been lucky.

Nah, I should have put some smilies in there to get the jibe of it across better.

I was just kidding with ya'.

NWBasser
July 27th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I'll be taking it into the shop today.

The great news is that the damage would be covered under my homeowner's policy.

The bad news - $500 deductible, which is about what a new fork will be.:thwap

I'll likely go with a 120 mm Fox Float RL.

The Rockshox Reba is also comparable, but I've hated every Rockshox I've ever had. My last RS fork came stock on a Stumpjumper I used to have and it was downright scary. It would rebound/bounce so fast that it would throw the front wheel off-track! It was more a pogo stick than a suspension fork. That was a serious POS.

Marzocchi's are nice too, but aren't any cheaper than a Fox and I know I like the Fox.

NWBasser
July 27th, 2011, 01:21 PM
:rollover I'm glad I don't have a garage...sometimes.

It seems with all the snow there, that a garage would be requisite in Eastern Idaho.

I'm in quite a minority by parking my car in my garage. Most people around here park in the driveway and fill the garage with garbage.

Tig
July 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Most people around here park in the driveway and fill the garage with garbage.

My side of the garage is filled with bikes and tools! :thumbsup
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6015/5982552272_d73028106a_b.jpg

NWBasser
July 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM

:socool

FrankenFretter
July 28th, 2011, 07:29 AM

Hmmm...what's with the road frame with no top tube, Doug? Is that just a rear triangle?

Tig
July 28th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hmmm...what's with the road frame with no top tube, Doug? Is that just a rear triangle?

Ah, that's my old Tommasini frame that died in a crash many years ago. Rear triangles make great stools.

FrankenFretter
July 28th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Ah, that's my old Tommasini frame that died in a crash many years ago. Rear triangles make great stools.

Hey, way to make lemonade out of lemons, Doug! That's cool. That must be the official Racing Stool?

NWBasser
July 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Well, I ordered a Fox Float 120 yesterday. Fortunately, my homeowner's insurance will cover some of the costs.

Rockshox had some cheaper models, but given my past experiences, I couldn't do that.

The mechanic said that Marzocchi's have gone down in quality since they went to Asian production.

I've always thought Manitous were cheap plastic, so no go there.

I know I like Fox, even if they are pricey.

Tig
July 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Well, I ordered a Fox Float 120 yesterday. Fortunately, my homeowner's insurance will cover some of the costs.

Rockshox had some cheaper models, but given my past experiences, I couldn't do that.

I'm not up on the latest models, but Fox is likely the best choice.

For Rockshox, the Reba line is my favorite.

deeaa
August 2nd, 2011, 06:33 AM
I have a garage but I've never kept my car in it. It's too much work to drive the car in, plus it'd be too expensive to keep it heated to sufficient heat, and unless it's downright hot, well, the worst thing you can do to your car in the winter is drive it till it's nice and snowy and base caked with road salt if you're lucky, and then drive in into a garage that is warm enough for the snow to melt but not hot enough for it to dry out quick...makes a car rust like nothing else on earth, constantly rinsing it with melting water & condensing water in and out the chassis structures.

I'd be nice to have an open garage though, so there wouldn't be so much snow on the car every morning to clear off. I might build one on my yard some day.
Another nice thing about a roof over the car would be less birch etc. sap all over the surfaces in the spring. But I'd not want to keep my cars behind doors etc, I like to be able to just jump in and start driving when need be, no need to hassle with garage doors etc. that's why I don't necessarily always keep the car doors locked either.

sunvalleylaw
August 2nd, 2011, 07:42 AM
I am late to this. Lots of people I know like their Floats. I love my REBA too, and am considering a longer one. It is nice and plush, not pogo'y, and fits my price point better. Mine is a 4 inch 29'er fork. My shop guys really respect the Rockshox Rebas, but many seem to pop for the Fox's if they have the extra $$. I don't think you will go wrong with either one. Sorry this happened! My brother did it to his original mountain bike that he just loved (Fisher Montare) and dented his top tube, ruined a saddle, and dented the roof of his car. I did it once but my Alfa was low enough that other than scuffing the saddle, there was no damage.

Here is another one I just did: on this trip back to WA for our family visit and my Dad's services, we had a stop, and I needed in the back of the car. I dropped the softride hitch rack to get in. drove back out, dragging my son's front tire on the ground for at least a mile before someone honked at me. Grrrrr. At least the only damage when I took it in to the shop to be sure was the tire. I bought him a new one. He got a slightly larger front out of it so he is happy.

sunvalleylaw
August 2nd, 2011, 07:46 AM

Your side of the garage? I see a jersey on the other side from the bikes. :AOK

NWBasser
August 2nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Hey Steve, 'bout time you showed up!

I've heard that the RockShox have been significantly improved since the SRAM takeover. The Reba seems to get quite good reviews and I was very tempted to get one.

However, the last RS I had (can't remember which one) was a real pogo stick and I can't quite bring myself to trust one just yet.

I'm hoping the LBS will get the shock from Fox and onto my bike before our vacation at the end of the week. I'd like to bring my Titus rather than my hardtail VooDoo to Bend.

Have any of you guys ridden Bend?

I was there years ago and I think the wife and son will really dig Phil's Trails.

Tig
August 2nd, 2011, 11:35 AM
Your side of the garage? I see a jersey on the other side from the bikes. :AOK

Ah, the jersey hanger is still on that half of the garage, just above the table saw.

FrankenFretter
August 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM

I've heard that the RockShox have been significantly improved since the SRAM takeover. The Reba seems to get quite good reviews and I was very tempted to get one.

However, the last RS I had (can't remember which one) was a real pogo stick and I can't quite bring myself to trust one just yet.

I'm hoping the LBS will get the shock from Fox and onto my bike before our vacation at the end of the week. I'd like to bring my Titus rather than my hardtail VooDoo to Bend.

I was there years ago and I think the wife and son will really dig Phil's Trails.

Unless the Deschutes brewery is on a bike trail, I wouldn't need a bike in Bend. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....beer...........

Spudman
August 2nd, 2011, 03:50 PM

I took my bike last June but I was so busy I didn't find time to ride other than around town. I know there are some good trails though. I think SVL has ridden there too, or some other place in Oregon maybe not Bend.

sunvalleylaw
August 2nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Yes I have ridden in and around Bend. Really great biking. Can be dusty this time of year, but still really good I would think. Lower Whoops and upper whoops is awesome fun with jumps, tables, banked turns and such. Tumalo Falls and Creek trail (or something like that) was my favorite. At least a couple different ecosystems, great trail, and fun descent with some features here and there. McKenzie River is supposed to be really cool, but we did not do that one. I hope to go back there this fall. And we drove to the Deschutes Ale house, but I was not driving, as it was my birthday. ;)

The Titus would be more fun, especially on the features. There is some rock (volanic and river) in the area and sometimes in the trails too. The riding is nice also in that you usually don't have huge climbs to get your descents. Here in SV, we typically climb quite a while first. Fun place!