PDA

View Full Version : Let's hope I don't screw this up

Eric
July 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I've had a couple of auditions within the past week after posting a demo and ad on craigslist. The most recent one was last night, and it was for kind of a new-wave-y indie pop/rock group. Right now it's comprised of the main singer/writer/guitarist and a bassist.

I'm not so sure I aced that one. It's kind of non-straightforward music, and what I was playing was only working on one or two of the songs. We'll see about that one. It would be an interesting project, but he says he has 4 to 5 more guitarists coming in to audition next week, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

However, I have been offered a position in the other band I auditioned for, which is an 80s indie pop/rock band from...the 80s. It's basically just the original front-lady (who writes and sings all of the music) and another singer at this point. I'm apparently the first cog in the rebuilding effort, and we will be auditioning bassists next week. The music is sort of quirky and guitar-based, and usually pretty catchy.

So that's that. Neither of these groups are my dream groups, but they are both decent experience and you have to cut your teeth somewhere. I'm looking forward to the practice next week and getting some songs worked up.

Wish me luck!

Brian Krashpad
July 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Break a leg!

Monkus
July 27th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Good Luck!

Tig
July 27th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Great news, Eric! I'm sure once you get going, you'll have a great time as well as learn from the experience.
:rockya

Spudman
July 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Good luck if you go with the 80 project. Starting from scratch with just singers can be a little more than challenging at times. Best wishes either way. Playing music is fun!

NWBasser
July 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I hope this works out well for you Eric.

There's not much more rewarding (or frustrating!) than playing with other musicians. It really opens up your playing.

Keep us posted and we'll be rooting for you.

PS - I don't know about your area, but bass players are in very short supply around here.

Eric
July 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Good luck if you go with the 80 project. Starting from scratch with just singers can be a little more than challenging at times. Best wishes either way. Playing music is fun!
I told her yes, and the main singer plays synth/keys and has a ton of experience, so I'm hoping to avoid the usual pitfalls of singers-only. I feel like she knows what she wants, so I think that will help a lot.

Eric
July 27th, 2011, 01:29 PM
PS - I don't know about your area, but bass players are in very short supply around here.
Well, she already has two or so lined up for next week, so I'm optimistic. I actually volunteered to play bass in the band and let the other guitarist she auditioned serve as the guitarist, but she said she wants me on guitar. Time will tell, huh?

NWBasser
July 27th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Well, she already has two or so lined up for next week, so I'm optimistic. I actually volunteered to play bass in the band and let the other guitarist she auditioned serve as the guitarist, but she said she wants me on guitar. Time will tell, huh?

Playing bass in a band isn't the worst thing that could happen.:socool

Eric
July 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Playing bass in a band isn't the worst thing that could happen.:socool
Oh I know! I kind of want to, actually. It would mean it's time to buy a bass rig, but I'm not opposed to that. But more than anything, I want to get out and play with some people, with some sort of purpose. More pressure than running finger exercises at home, but a lot more fun too.

guitarhack
July 28th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Good luck, Eric! I hope everything works well for you.

stingx
July 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Best of luck, Eric. Remember, if you aren't having fun then it's time to run.

otaypanky
July 30th, 2011, 08:42 PM
While the music selection is really important, I'd much rather be playing material that wasn't exactly 'right down my alley' with a bunch of people I really dug as compared to playing my favorite stuff with people I didn't get along all that well with ~

Your first instincts are usually correct.

Duffy
July 31st, 2011, 10:15 PM
Quote OP -

"... you have to cut your teeth somewhere."

Did you know Neil Young played, early on, in Rick James' band? Doesn't that sound funky? Who knows, it might have been fun.

stingx
August 1st, 2011, 09:21 AM
I would have loved to have hung out with Rick James! "Drink up! It's a celebration, b|tches!!!"