PDA

View Full Version : TheFret.Net CD project

Robert
November 24th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Since there is a strong interest in home recording on TheFret.Net, and from the responses from Nelskie's CD thread, here is my idea. TheFret.Net could coordinate home recordings by our members, and provide them on a CD for purchase. These are my thoughts, and please provide your feedback.

Assuming these members wants to be part of a CD, here's the process:
1. Develop a backing track, or use a track that you have permission to use, as well as permission to publish onto a CD.
2. Record your own stuff on it until you are happy enough with it.
3. Email it to Robert.
4. Robert puts each recording on a page for everyone to view and listen to.
5. The first XX number of songs/recordings that will fit end up on the CD. If there are more than XX number of recordings, then a second CD can be made if there is interest.
6. CD art work can be a TheFret.Net contest - those who are interested in creating the art work submits their work to Robert, they are put on a page and members vote on the one they like the best. This one will be used on the first CD (repeat process for next CD, etc). If no interest in this part - a basic CD cover will be used.

To have a chance of covering the costs of coordinating all of this, creating and mailing the CDs, etc, the cost would be $10.00 plus shipping for each CD.

IMPORTANT: We can not use cover songs or any material that some other artist created. We will need to take copyright issues seriously, as we don't want to risk getting sued by anyone.

Let me know your thoughts! I think this could fun for beginners as well as experienced players. Our own Fret.Net CD...

ted s
November 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Sounds like an excellent plan to myself Robert.

SuperSwede
November 25th, 2006, 04:38 AM
A good idea Robert. But making a ISO (or similar ready-to-burn format) CD with a PDF CD art work would be the most cost-effective and easy way to distribute the CD.

Robert
November 26th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Well, the lack of responses seem to indicate this isn't such a great idea after all. I figured it might be fun and simple for the "home recorders" to just send the recorded material to me and eventually a CD full with fretter's recordings would show up in your mailbox.

That's okay, just sharing all the files via this board works great too.

SS, your suggestion would work too, but may be more technically challenging for some.

zeusse
November 26th, 2006, 09:49 AM
This is a great idea Robert and 10 bucks will that be in Canadien loonie format? Cause that's a good deal then.

Justaguyin_nc
November 26th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Well, the lack of responses seem to indicate this isn't such a great idea after all.
SS, your suggestion would work too, but may be more technically challenging for some.

Im sure there is still interest Robert.. Creating the Forum for it might bring it out before this post gets buried under all the new activity.
Maybe a combination of both ways.. An ISO and Art to Download from the Fretnet and a Purchased version for those that are challenged. I think with this Forum about anyone can be walked through the process if they have a CD burner , which in this day and age most do have with some kind of software.

Hogfullofblues
November 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Hopefully there is enough interest to keep this idea alive. Maybe a seperate forum/topic category would help if that is possible. I know I have been searching for a way pull off some drums and bass for a song without copyright infrigement or actually buying and learning how to play those! But as long as there are no deadlines, no reason not to work towards it.

Robert
November 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I am anticipating a time frame of around 6 months before the CD would be ready. We all need time to come up with some recordings.

The art work idea doesn't have to be a contest, that was just a suggestion from me. Give me input on this - maybe one or two members want to be in charge of this art work job for the CD?

Justaguyin_nc
November 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM
=RobertThe art work idea doesn't have to be a contest, that was just a suggestion from me. Give me input on this

I don't think anything is wrong with a contest.. voted on.. you know maybe the fretnet could come up with what we cheerish most here... A "CHEAP" prize.. just for the fun of it.. say a Danelectro FAB pedal $20.00 or less of their choice..... one for best song and one for best art.. judged by who else.. the best forum members on the net... everyone here... maybe come close to the end of the CD you can put up numbers to the Artwork without the persons name... only you and the artist will know .... that might be harder to do for the song... but its still just for fun.. and just a thought.

Robert
November 26th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Well, I never meant the recordings would be voted on. Instead, it would be the first 20 songs or whatever fits that would be on the CD. First come, first serve.

Voting for the songs might be too much pressure and all that. Risk for feeling discouraged if the song doesn't end up on the CD. What do the rest of you think?

I thought the art work could be a contest since it is really secondary - the goal is for the CD to have our recordings. I personally don't care what it looks like. I also assume there would be far fewer art work submissions than recording submission, so we could put the first artwork on the first CD, 2nd artwork on 2nd CD and so on. These are still just ideas.

Also, nothing will happen with this unless I get sufficient support on from the Fretters, so please clear your throat and tell me your thoughts.

PassIt
November 26th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I think it sounds like a great idea but Im a little confused about the songs. Is it just only a backing track with just rhythm and bass and drums or a full song with leads and stuff?

Robert
November 26th, 2006, 07:49 PM
The idea is to make your own recording, something you are willing to submit for being on the CD. If it has leads, chord melody, rap - you name it - is up to you.

I mentioned that you can't use copyrighted tracks as we could then get in trouble. The best thing is to do 100% yourself, but you may be able to find a backing track somewhere on the net that you get permission to use. It's up to you. I am sure there will be plenty of backings made by our members to share for this project.

Lev
November 27th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Hey Robert, I'm 100% behind this project - I'd love to submit a track & would be happy to pay $10 either for a CD or an ISO download. Sorry for not posting earlier to voice my support, I was busy writing and recording :)

R_of_G
May 13th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Looks like there hasn't been a post in awhile, but I happen to think it was a good idea. Would have said so then too, but I've only been here a week. Anyway, if you have any thoughts of reviving the idea, I'm game. You know, if only a few people are interested, call that number X, and if you need Y total contributions, than perhaps each of the interested parties can do multiple tracks. When you said backing tracks, I also thought that you meant, and if not it is a good idea as well, that if possible, some of us might be able to record something, pass it on to others here to record another part onto, etc, and ultimately send the final result back to you for the cd as a non-simultaneous collaboration. Just a thought. Also, as far as artwork goes, a contest would be cool. I am a graphic designer by trade, so I relish the challenge. I have just really gotten into recording my playing in the past few months, and am getting more and more comfortable wit the sound I am getting [I love my mac]. If only a few of us are interested in a fret.net cd, than let the few of us proceed. perhaps that will generate more interest among the other members and we could put out a second, third, etc.

Robert
May 17th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the support. I would like to make this happen, but it seems to be hard to find the time to get everything organized. I will need to dig into this harder soon. Please bear with me as I try to get this under way.

R_of_G
May 18th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Take your time Robert. I have actually just gotten to the point in my playing where I am comfortable recording myself, so I imagine it will take me a bit longer to get comfortable recording for others to hear. Nonetheless, I think your original idea was good and I am glad to hear you are trying to revive it. Anything I can do to help feel free to let me know. As I stated, I am a graphic designer by day [and a damn good one in my opinion] so when it comes time to artwork and layout for these I would be more than happy to do it for you as you and the others have made me feel very welcome at the Fret.

ted s
May 18th, 2007, 07:25 AM
your a good man R_G

R_of_G
May 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM
your a good man R_G

I have my moments.

zeusse
August 4th, 2007, 04:41 PM
If anybody needs a backer of a certain style I can always help out and make one so your personal riffs can be added or anyone interested in a colaboration project I'm always interested in that sort of thing whatever I can help with just let me know:)