PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Salad

Robert
November 24th, 2006, 08:09 PM
No, I'm not talking bout food! Yesterday, I eBay'd a little swirly Danelectro mini-pedal with this poultry-fied name. I haven't got it yet, nor have I ever tried one, but I'll tell why I bought it.

I so much love the sound from uni-vibe pedals. "Machine Gun" - Hendrix & Band Of Gypsys, isn't that a fabulous sound or wha?! So, instead of spending three hundred bucks or more on a boutique one, I read good reviews of this super cheap little mini-pedal. Some tone-suckage will probably happen, but the vibe tone could be there. I am dying to find out. :cool:

Will report more once I get it. Oh, and it's around 15 bucks on eBay...

Rabies
November 24th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I'm not making any promises, but I bet you'll love it. But, I'm a Dano pedal fan, so I'm probably a little biased. You just can't beat what these things give you for the money.

Tone2TheBone
November 25th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Rob I've heard great things about that pedal and it's "vibe". +1 I think you did a good thing. :) I too am a DanE fan.

Robert
December 4th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I just got this orange poultry salad pedal - it looks pretty beat up and well used - I hope it works! I'll try it out tonight and report back later.

oldguy
December 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
15 bucks sounds like a deal. That's about what you'd pay for a guitar cord, and "no effects included":D .

Robert
December 5th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I got the pedal yesterday and I plugged it in right away when I got home.

It's awesome! It does a very cool swirly Vibe sound - not exactly like Jimi's Uni-Vibe, but close enough for me. It's got its own vibe - pun intended! :)

Love the sound, I couldn't stop playing last night. Between this one and the Leslie-like Arion Chorus, I'm set for the "Swirly Sounds Gigs"! ;)

Iago
December 5th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I almost bought that one, but heard that it sucks batteries really quick so I gave up... then I bought the Phase 90.. which is a phaser (duh!) but can get close to a "vibe" sound.

Robert
December 5th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I'll try and find time for a video demo! It reminds me of a phaser sound this pedal, but it also sounds like a vibe. Kinda it's own thing, this pedal. Me likey.

I use a One-Spot Adapter so that battery suckage problem is not an issue for me.

Robert
December 12th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I posted a video of my messin' with the chikn - check it out at http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-26.php

I am using Das Fuzz here too. Gotta have some fuzz for "hairy tone" ! :D :D

Tone2TheBone
December 13th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Hey that sounds cool. A little Robin'y/Robert action yeahhhhh. Sounds good with the DAS Fuzz too. How fast does that puppy go?

Robert
December 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM
It goes pretty fast, but a vibe should go quite slow.

Thanks for the comments!

Tone2TheBone
December 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Jimi did some fast vibes at Woodstock bro and it kicked! The Chicken Salad sounds pretty neat. I might have to try that sucker out.

Spudman
December 13th, 2006, 06:24 PM
That has a really nice sound for a budget vibrato.

SuperSwede
December 15th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Sound nice Robert! I really like Das Fuzz.. it really shines when paired up with other effect units.

Spudman
July 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I went to the restaurant and ordered the Chicken Salad.

I had to get one after hearing Robert's demo. I have to say that this pedal has pretty good mojo for a budget swirly vibrato pedal. I also like how the metal base is heavier than the whole rest of the unit. That must be so that it lands right side up after you throw it at the drummer.

Mine doesn't sound right with a battery though. It might be an old battery and I haven't tried another, but it works great on AC and that is usually what I use anyway.

Good job Danelectro.

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Ok so I Ebay'd another Chicken Salad. How easily could I have let go of an authentic design! Photocells, lightbulb and all. Barry I hope you still have yours. :)

I still have the EX-7 but now I can wah along with a vibe. Thanks to the boss man for his inspiration....JMH.

Thanks also to Robert Renman. ;)

M29
August 23rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
You bet ya I still have it Tone! Now I feel bad that you had to get another one..............It is a nice pedal, I just need to get better on the gitar....:D

M29

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
Oh it's all good man I'm glad you got it. Share the joy!

Duff
August 23rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
I don't have that pedal but I bet it is a nice item. I have a corned beef reverb that at first I didn't like but shortly later I realized that it is really great sounding, just not a typical reverb pedal. Kind of counter intuitive. The knobs work inversely, kind of, but the sound is great with some delay and reverb and fuzz. It is one of the only pedals I use with my multipedals.

Also, Robert, I watched a couple of your youtubes with the SX the other night. Awesome dude. You can really play. I especially liked that riff you did that SRV used to do, not sure if he originated it or not but you sounded great, plus some of the other stuff was outstanding.

That SX sounded so good with those custom shop fifty four fender pups, I think they were? Do you still have them pups in the SX strat copy? Awesome strat sound, super chimey and overall great sounding pups, of course embellished by your great playing. Has your Fender eclipsed the SX?

How's the chicken salad sound? Like a tremolo pedal? I have a Boss tremolo pedal that sounds great. But I know Danelectro throws a curve ball at you with their pedals and they sound unique, if my corned beef is a typical example. That is one great little pedal. One of the only pedals I use in conjunction with my Korg Toneworks AX5G. That little toneworks is awesome. I want to get another one because it looks like they are being discontinued, or the big internet places are dropping them. I want to get the bass one as well now that I have the interface down fairly well.

Also, Robert, did you notice the inexpensive prices on the Crate V series amps at MF? The thirty three watt head is one seventy nine. Class A. The V fifty is fifty watts of class AB power with an American sound, two channels one ninety nine US. Look like some possibly good amps. What is your opinion?

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.