PDA

View Full Version : Leather strap squeaky noise...

Robert
July 29th, 2011, 10:52 AM
My leather strap is making squeaky noises when it's rubbing against the finish on my guitar. It's annoying.

How to fix?

Slab some unsalted butter on the back of the strap? :socool

Eric
July 29th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Do you mean it rotates on the strap buttons and squeaks when it does that? If that's the case, I'd suggest strap locks. If not, could you elaborate on the issue?

bcdon
July 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Otaypanky would be the man to ask about that.

Tig
July 29th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Try a small dab of hand lotion to the area.
Bob may have a better solution, as Don mentioned.

Spudman
July 29th, 2011, 03:24 PM
This works good for lube...plus it smells real good too.

http://www.mexicanbacon.com/images/bacon.jpg

Or Chapstick or something waxy like that. The bacon is definitely the best case scenario for the starving artist/athlete.

Robert
July 29th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Do you mean it rotates on the strap buttons and squeaks when it does that? If that's the case, I'd suggest strap locks. If not, could you elaborate on the issue?

Yeah sort of, but it's actually touching the finish on my guitar, and then it squeaks.

Strap locks sounds like it might work. Or bacon grease. :)

Bookkeeper's Son
July 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Talc?

stingx
July 29th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I get squeaks with strap locks on two of my guitars. Might not be the answer. I don't hear anything over the sound of my amp though.

otaypanky
July 29th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Is it the one I made for you Robert? Are you sure it's not your old and worn 'runner' joints?
If it's the strap and you can determine where it's coming from, a touch of leather conditioner should help. I've never heard that with any of mine ~

Robert
July 29th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Is it the one I made for you Robert? Are you sure it's not your old and worn 'runner' joints?
If it's the strap and you can determine where it's coming from, a touch of leather conditioner should help. I've never heard that with any of mine ~

Yep, it's your high quality leather that makes some squeals against my Suhr's finish. :)

It coming from the back of the strap rubbing against the guitar's finish, where the strat button is screwed in.

Some sort of material between the strap and the guitar's finish should work, if I can figure out how to attach something.

otaypanky
July 29th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I think it must be the inferior finish on the Suhr ~ :notme

Only kidding of course.
I've just never heard this from anyone before. I think I'd wipe down the guitar with a lightly damp cloth as well as the strap in the contact area. I wouldn't bet that would make it go away but it's probably worth a try.

Eric
July 29th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Yep, it's your high quality leather that makes some squeals against my Suhr's finish. :)

It coming from the back of the strap rubbing against the guitar's finish, where the strat button is screwed in.

Some sort of material between the strap and the guitar's finish should work, if I can figure out how to attach something.
Couple of ideas:
1) As stingx said, strap locks can squeak, but it's more of a metal-on-metal thing that I think can be oiled to go away. If you're worried about finish wear, that would be an option.
2) Have you ever seen those felt/cloth 'washers' that are sometimes under strap buttons? Maybe if you cut your own and configured it to sit under the squeaking bit, you could use that -- put it under the strap button and use the strap button to secure it in place. Not sure if it's clear what I'm talking about, but I can try to elaborate if it's not clear and you want me to clarify.

Robert
July 29th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Great idea Eric. Wonder where to get those?

stingx
July 29th, 2011, 08:45 PM
The simplest thing is to change straps. I just popped a different one on and now no more squeak. Of course, now there's squeak on the different guitar I attached it to :)

Tig
July 29th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Great idea Eric. Wonder where to get those?

I've heard of people using the rubber gasket from Grolsch bottle tops to keep straps from slipping off. That might work as well, but placed on the other side of the strap. I suggest drinking the beer first.

You could always just cut some felt to size. Stock felt pieces can be barely seen since they are the same size as the button, so you'd have to make the custom one larger to buffer the strap from the finish.

Personally, I'd go with strap locks, especially on a nice Suhr. I use them on all my electrics, which are worth no more than 20% of a Suhr. :cool:

http://drinksreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Grolsch_Large.jpg

Eric
July 29th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I've heard of people using the rubber gasket from Grolsch bottle tops to keep straps from slipping off. That might work as well, but placed on the other side of the strap. I suggest drinking the beer first.

You could always just cut some felt to size. Stock felt pieces can be barely seen since they are the same size as the button, so you'd have to make the custom one larger to buffer the strap from the finish.

Personally, I'd go with strap locks, especially on a nice Suhr. I use them on all my electrics, which are worth no more than 20% of a Suhr. :cool:
Yep, I agree with all of this. A big +1.

Duffy
July 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I like the leather conditioner idea best as a first try. It is made to rejuvenate and protect leather and I think it is the same stuff cowboys use on their saddles to keep them from breaking down, squeaking like crazy, etc. Even a touch of carnuba wax might not hurt. Oil could soften the leather and cause it to stretch at the pin, making it loose. I doubt it though, on one of those nicely made super cool straps, but I would still avoid oiling the leather at the squeaky point. I would try to use the right stuff and protect the paint on the Shur from getting damaged. I think the best thing to do, as usual, would be to listen to the maker. Should be be a simple fix using the right stuff.

There ought to be a lot of cowboys up there in Alberta you could ask about this. They have a lot of experience in maintaining leather that is put to demanding use.

otaypanky
July 30th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I was just taking a wild guess about the conditioner Duff, I've have never heard anyone say their strap squeaked. A touch of conditioner may improve things, but the leather lining the back of Robert's strap is pretty nice stuff, not dry or stiff.

Eric
August 22nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
What's with the spam lately? I think it's been 3 different guys within the past 24 hours. Strange...

bcdon
August 22nd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Or you could build yourself a Super Deluxe Custom One Of a Kind strap @ www.poerava.net!
Good Luck!!

It already is a 'super deluxe custom ...' strap made by Otaypanky at Brookwood Leather. :) BTW, welcome to The Fret, StingRay2! :dude

bcdon
August 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
What's with the spam lately? I think it's been 3 different guys within the past 24 hours. Strange...

I thought it looked like spam but wanted to give the benefit of the doubt for a new poster. Were the other three postings to the same site?

Eric
August 22nd, 2011, 06:04 PM
I thought it looked like spam but wanted to give the benefit of the doubt for a new poster. Were the other three postings to the same site?
Hmm...I can only find two of them at the moment:
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/18873-Leather-strap-squeaky-noise...?p=212578&viewfull=1#post212578
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/14628-How-can-I-improve-my-finger-speed?p=212543&viewfull=1#post212543

I'll post the other one if I bumble across it.

Update Here's another one
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/18472-You-Rock-MIDI-Guitar?p=211207&viewfull=1#post211207

I think the other one I was thinking about was about a vlog that seems to have been deleted.

sunvalleylaw
August 22nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Strap locks sounds like it might work. Or bacon grease. :)

You live in Canada. You're going to have to change that to backbacon.

Robert
August 22nd, 2011, 10:42 PM
I put some vaseline on there, and it worked! I use vaseline on everything. :)

marnold
August 23rd, 2011, 08:32 AM
I put some vaseline on there, and it worked! I use vaseline on everything. :)

I'll take TMI for $1200, Alex.

Robert
August 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM

Too Much Information?

marnold
August 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Too Much Information?
Bingo :)

otaypanky
August 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM