PDA

View Full Version : volume swells, pedal or volume knob?

Meritone Music
August 2nd, 2011, 05:06 AM
Hi

I love using my volume swell alot - some people have suggested that I can do what I do with a volume pedal too... what's yr preferences?

Here's a jam using volume swells and slap back delay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAK929gAAQ

jpfeifer
August 2nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
I love the way you are doing the volume swells with your right hand. That's a great sound you're getting! I've never had a guitar where the volume knob is in an easy-enough position to use it in this way. But I can see huge benefits in being able to do it this way. Currently, I use a volume pedal to do my swells but I'd never be able to use it fast enough to get these sounds that you're getting. Very cool! You have inspired me!

--Jim

hubberjub
August 2nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
I have pretty small hands and have never had an easy time doing volume swells with the knob. I use volume pedals almost exclusively. I'm also a pedal steel player so a volume knob isn't even an option. I use a Goodrich volume pedal with my steel and either an Ernie Ball or Morley Little Alligator for six string.

ZMAN
August 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
I have toyed with the idea of a volume pedal but I am always turned off by the string they have to activate them.
Are there any issues with this? Also what would be a good pedal to get?

Eric
August 2nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
I have toyed with the idea of a volume pedal but I am always turned off by the string they have to activate them.
My only experience is with an Ernie Ball Jr. It works well and I got it for $50 off of craigslist, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. It's added weight and I don't find myself using it all that much after I get dialed in. I'm going to give it some play in live situations and see how I feel after that.

jpfeifer
August 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have the Ernie Ball volume pedal also. I've had it on my pedal board for a few months now after my older DeArmond pedal started breaking down.
The Ernie Ball pedal works great.

--Jim

hubberjub
August 3rd, 2011, 07:11 AM

I haven't had any problems with the string. I've heard it's made of kevlar. My Morley has no string and I like it's sound better than the Ernie Ball. The Morley, being active, doesn't cut the highs when you back off the volume like the Ernie Ball does. My favorite, of the volume pedals I have, is the Goodrich. It's swells are really linear and it has a low-profile design.

R_of_G
August 3rd, 2011, 07:32 AM
I've tried it a bit with the knobs but I feel I have more control when I use the pedal.
I have a Digitech multi-effects unit but most of the effects I use are built in to my amp I wind up mostly using that pedal as a volume pedal.
Of course, I don't always bring that pedal with me if I play away from home so I'm trying to get smoother at doing it with the knobs.

Teleman77
August 4th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I've always used a Volume Pedal to get swells and for steel licks. I either use an Edwards 120, or the internal pedal in my Vox Yonelab SE.