PDA

View Full Version : Agile LP copy vs. Kit guitar... Thoughts?

Katastrophe
December 14th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Okay guys, here's the scenario...

I'm going to be selling off some unwanted items around the house in order to purchase another guitar. Here are my options:

1. Agile AL3000 Natural Spalted LP clone: The link is here: http://www.rondomusic.net/product514.html . What a good looking guitar! I've read the Agile related posts here and have seen numerous positive reviews of this guitar on the 'net. The price is right for the features offered, and from what I've read, it looks like a good buy.

2. Carvin Bolt Guitar Kit (sorta kinda Strat type clone): Roughly the same price as the Agile (with the options I want), and I've seen some beautiful examples around the 'net. Assembly is no problem, and my Dad is hyped about the idea of helping with the finish (he used to have a furniture stripping/refinishing business, and knows how to work with wood stains and different matte and gloss finishes). Found at www.carvin.com under "Guitar Kits."

3. Frankencaster parts guitar built off of the 'Bay. Assembly costs should be about the same, I think.

4. Squier Strat,Tele or '51: Cheaper than options 1-3, and I can add/mod parts at will with the savings (new tuners if needed and/or different pups).

The guitar will be dedicated for country music. I have a lot of sentimental value in my other guitars (Ibanez was bought for me by my Grandmother, Charvel was the first guitar I bought on my own, the ESP my first Custom guitar), and just can't seem to get rid of them. They are all from my metal days, and while they all still sound and play great, they all don't cut the mustard as far as clean tones go, as the pups are just too high output and come out a little dirty.

So, what do you think? I'm very intersted in hearing everyone's opinion...

Also, we're auditioning drummers on Friday. We'll have a full line up by then, and I've got a gig waiting as soon as we're ready!

marnold
December 14th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I've heard great things about the Agile, but I have no experience with it. If I were looking for an LP clone I'd definitely take a look at their Black Beauty. I've looked at Carvin kits too. I think that has the same appeal as my plan to mod/upgrade my Charvel Model 7. I guess it really depends on how much time you want to spend with assembly, staining/painting, etc. instead of playing :) My reasons are similar to yours too in that I wanted some cool single-coil blues tones that I just can get from my single humbucker Fender.

Katastrophe
December 15th, 2005, 12:38 PM
The hard part is that I don't have examples of each to play (with the exception of the Squiers), to see if I'm gonna like 'em!

Tone2TheBone
December 15th, 2005, 12:56 PM
What I'm wondering about the Agiles are the maple set in necks. Would they make the body feel too heavy? I wouldn't spend too much more for the mahagony neck models though, I'd just as soon get an Epi or something if I was going to pay more. Other than that I wouldn't mind having a really nice tiger maple top Agile LP.

Katastrophe
December 15th, 2005, 04:12 PM
I dunno... My ESP and Charvel are both on the heavy side (the ESP has an all maple body, I believe), but I don't notice anymore, unless I strap on the Ibanez. All of the solid body LPs/clones I've played have been tanks, with the exception of the Studio models... Heavy guitars are comforting though. They make a good shield to hide behind if you miss a note!:D

The 3000 series looks to have a nice, thick maple cap on top, which would be good for brighter tones...

This is a good dilemma to have!:R

Tone2TheBone
December 15th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Hey K,

You're right. Always nice to have a problem like yours. :)

Get the one that slaps you in the face as far as looks and features. Thats the right guitar for you.

Spudman
January 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
I own an Agile AL2000 with P90's. I love it and will probably always keep it. I got it new from Rondo Music and have had no problems with it. It came with Grover tuners. I hang it on the wall next to my Epiphone LP with humbuckers. They both have the cherry flame sunburst finish. Very identical guitars except for...the binding is better and more of it on the Agile. The Agile is heavier so get a wide strap. The Epiphone has a little better resonance but it is 10 years older. The jack plate on the Agile is plastic onthe Epi it is metal. The fretboard markers on the Agile look 10 times better. Otherwise, close to the same.

There is some info for ya. All in all the Agile is a great guitar for the money and as of 1-1-2006 Rondo Music is letting some go for around $200 plus shipping. Pretty good deal. The humbucking versions might be better for country. I don't think the P90 that I have does country very well.

Bloozcat
March 29th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Of those that you've mentioned, I'd definitely go with the Agile.

I own a '51 and love it and I've played the Carvin Bolts and found them to be very solid guitars. Parts and pieces is parts and pieces. You may get lucky and all of the parts you pick up may all go together and make a decent guitar, but it's still a Frankenstein.

The Agile on the other hand, has a mahogany body, a set mahogany neck, upgraded electronics (including pickups), good tuners, and a beautiful maple top. An AL3000 Agile out of the box will smoke the other choices you've mentioned in terms of beauty, function, and overall quality.

I'm not trying to put down the other choices, but IMHO the Agile is just at a level above the others.

Katastrophe
March 29th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Great info, Blooz... After getting on the Agile forums and lurking a bit, I found a good amount of info on Agiles, and I'm leaning heavily in that direction!

r_a_smith3530
March 29th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Kat, add me to the list of those who would choose the Agile, only I'd be playin' 'Da Blues on that. Hope you enjoy whichever one you do decide on.

Tone2TheBone
March 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM
I smell an Agile with my name on it............*snifffffffff*

Katastrophe
March 30th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I smell an Agile with my name on it............*snifffffffff*

THAT'S what that smell was! I thought it might be Warren making naked pancakes again...er...uh...sumpin' like that.;) :eek: :D

Katastrophe
March 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Hey all, I sent an email to Rondo just now asking if they'll have any AL2800s in either natural flame or black w/ gold hardware anytime soon! I also pimped the site, and advised that they may wanna take a look at our little area of the world sometime soon...:R

Tone2TheBone
March 31st, 2006, 08:40 AM
The Natural flame model has me by the *ahem*.......almost as bad as 'lil momo girl.

Katastrophe
March 31st, 2006, 04:01 PM
It sure is a good lookin' guitar, ain't it? You know, the more I look at the Agiles, the more that stubby horn and headstock grows on me...

I got an email response from Kurt at Rondo. No plans on the AL2800 in Natural or Black w/ gold hardware, but he is getting those finishes in AL3000 trim in sometime in May. SWEET! Time to start saving pennies!

hindmarsh
January 9th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I got an email response from Kurt at Rondo. No plans on the AL2800 in Natural or Black w/ gold hardware, but he is getting those finishes in AL3000 trim in sometime in May. SWEET! Time to start saving pennies!

Did you ever get that AL-3000? If so, I'm very interested in your thoughts after having played it for a while.

Brian Krashpad
January 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
What I'm wondering about the Agiles are the maple set in necks. Would they make the body feel too heavy? I wouldn't spend too much more for the mahagony neck models though, I'd just as soon get an Epi or something if I was going to pay more. Other than that I wouldn't mind having a really nice tiger maple top Agile LP.

I haven't noticed any big differences with my Agile SG (Valkyrie II) having a maple neck instead of mahogany. Reportedly maple makes for a more stable neck anyhow. Also I'd note that some actual Les Pauls were made with maple necks in the Norlin era of Gibson. While the purists decried this departure from tradition I have never heard that the maple necks were problematic in any way.

Had the OP not said this guitar was going to be for country I might have sided with the Agile, but I'm a traditionalist and will disagree with Spudman and say that single coils are better for country than humbuckers. Of the non-Agiles I'd go for the Carvin Bolt as the most versatile and reliable option with a single in the bridge.

Which is kinda funny as I'm an Agile owner and have never been particularly big on Carvins.

Fwiw, ymmv.

t_ross33
January 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM
...I'm a traditionalist and will disagree with Spudman and say that single coils are better for country than humbuckers.
I agree, as far as "traditional" country goes (that's why I HAD to have a Tele :D) , but while many lament the state of the genre these days, it IS closer now to country rock/southern rock/pop and as such a thicker, heavier tone is often called for. You can't push with a rope, you need the right tool for the job.

Heck, check out this video from the 70's of Don Rich with a LES PAUL :eek: WTF? But it still sounds great :bravo:

9MWdTw5Dl9w

As soon as I nail down my Strat I'm gunning for something LP-ish and Agile is on my radar. :dude:

Trev

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM
One of these days . . . that or a hollow/semi hollow. Something Gretsch or Hagstromish if I went that way. As the question is posed, an Agile all the way. I don't have the time for doing those kit projects well enough, and for the price, my time is worth more.

Brian Krashpad
January 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I agree, as far as "traditional" country goes (that's why I HAD to have a Tele :D) , but while many lament the state of the genre these days, it IS closer now to country rock/southern rock/pop and as such a thicker, heavier tone is often called for. You can't push with a rope, you need the right tool for the job.

Then what you do is getcha one of these:

http://static.flickr.com/25/64208937_f659426fdf_o.jpg

The HB can be split, has 5-way switching (neck HB/neck split/neck HB + bridge/neck split + bridge/bridge). Pretty much covers all the bases.

t_ross33
January 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Been there, almost did that with the Vintage Mod SH Tele. Just need to pop in a 5 way switch and I'm diggin' ya brother :beer:

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Then what you do is getcha one of these:

http://static.flickr.com/25/64208937_f659426fdf_o.jpg

The HB can be split, has 5-way switching (neck HB/neck split/neck HB + bridge/neck split + bridge/bridge). Pretty much covers all the bases.

So when split, it still gives that characteristic tele spank I presume? Looks really cool, though I still like the idea of the blonde/black PG like your other one. :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
January 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM
So when split, it still gives that characteristic tele spank I presume? Looks really cool, though I still like the idea of the blonde/black PG like your other one. :AOK:

Thanks, the Tele spank really comes from the bridge pup which is a single here anyhow, so no splitting necessary. But if you split the neckbucker you can get vague approximations of the Tele "both pups" and neck settings.

mrmudcat
January 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Yea I love that S.D. mini bucker hot rodded tele model that came out its sweet!!!:master:

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0100232850

Not sure your budget O.P. but the nashville and nashville power tele is perfect me thinks for your target genre:beer:

Brian Krashpad
January 10th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Yea I love that S.D. mini bucker hot rodded tele model that came out its sweet!!!:master:

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0100232850

That's a very cool guitar, but pricey.

I have the hundred dollar beater Frankentele version:

http://static.flickr.com/43/90598563_113a47e647_o.jpg

Same neck SD mini though. :AOK:

mrmudcat
January 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Oh hell yea id have that anyday over the fancy smancy!!!:bravo: :master:

Brian Krashpad
January 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Oh hell yea id have that anyday over the fancy smancy!!!:bravo: :master:

Well, if I didn't have to pay for it, I'd get the real deal! :AOK:

This one sorta fell into my lap. A buddy needed cash to finish up a recording. He'd previously lent the guitar to his son (also a gigging musician), who had "townshended" it pretty good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/FrankenteleTopSmaller.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/FrankenteleRearSmaller.jpg

The guitar is very "DIY"-- the seller put it together out of parts and made a toploader into a string-through with his handy-dandy hand-held drill (no ferrules!; since the body is soft basswood, he got out a tinsnips and crudely cut a metal plate to hold the string-ends, with 6 holes punched through for the strings, then dug an indent in the back of the guitar with a chisel to hold the plate!). I spent another $50 US replacing the nut and knobs and getting a setup, but now I have a playable guitar that I can literally drop to the floor onstage and only worry about denting the floor. ;)

Spudman
January 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Had the OP not said this guitar was going to be for country I might have sided with the Agile, but I'm a traditionalist and will disagree with Spudman and say that single coils are better for country than humbuckers.

I didn't mean it that way. I was referring to the P90's that are in the Agile I have and if you want an Agile LP, which is what we are talking about, that I would suggest the humbuckers as being the better of the two. The Agile LP's don't come with single coils as I'm sure you know. The Agile P90's are not very single coil sounding in this guitar other than the hum and they aren't that bright either.

For country get a Telecaster.

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM
For country get a Telecaster.

What about a big Chet Atkins type box like a Country Gentleman?

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6122-1962&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/chetatkins/CountryGentleman.html

Spudman
January 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM
What about a big Chet Atkins type box like a Country Gentleman?

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6122-1962&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/chetatkins/CountryGentleman.html

That wont work. Those are only for music. Country requires a Telecaster.:D

Katastrophe
January 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Did you ever get that AL-3000? If so, I'm very interested in your thoughts after having played it for a while.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner... I ended up getting a Fender MIM Standard Strat (see avatar pic). I'm still GASsing for a set neck, double 'bucker guitar, a Tele, and a Hollowbody, and about two or three different amphs.

GAS is a cruel mistress to serve sometimes.:master: :D The problem is I have champagne tastes on a beer budget.

sunvalleylaw
January 13th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Sorry I didn't respond sooner... I ended up getting a Fender MIM Standard Strat (see avatar pic). I'm still GASsing for a set neck, double 'bucker guitar, a Tele, and a Hollowbody, and about two or three different amphs.

GAS is a cruel mistress to serve sometimes.:master: :D The problem is I have champagne tastes on a beer budget.

LOL, I have a very similar GAS list. Down to the T! A tele with either the Peavey EX setup, or one like Krashpad has with the bucker up top, a set neck paul type, and either a big Gretsch type hollow (most likely type) or a semi-hollow. I probably would be able go make do on only 1 or 2 more amphs though. LOL!!!

kiteman
January 14th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I have an agile al3000 in black. It's a good player guitar and I improved it with my own setup work. I regulated the nut, dressed and recrowned the frets. This way I got close action. I also put EMG 81-60 in it. I had it for three years and it still jams.

Problem is, it's heavy. Since I got my new custom made guitar I haven't played it anymore. In fact I'm going to sell it cheap because I butchered it by making a forearm relief.

If I have a choice I'd take the carvin kit. It's supposed to quality stuff there and individually made, not out of the stock. Just tung oil the body and the neck and you're done.

Sblack
January 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I would go with the Carvin Kit. If country is your thing, then opt for a maple fret board. The standard SSS pick guard includes a mini-switch that allows you to turn the bridge single coil on or off, giving you tele-like tone options.

I built two kits about five years ago and loved them. The Carvin kits have very high quality USA made parts with exact tolerances and a tight fit. Both guitars were very resonant and played like butter. Unfortunately, I sold both in order to fund a more expensive guitar that I ended up hating -- sorrowful mistake. The big commitment, however, is the time it takes to finish the body and neck (weeks to do it right). You can pay Carvin to finish the body and neck for you. Then, all you have to do is assemble the kit. In order to customize a kit with almost any option, you simply call and state such options to the sales guy/gal. I really miss my Carvins and am considering building a kit this summer if the funds are available.

Good luck with your new guit. :)