PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Planet of the Apes

Robert
August 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I like this movie. The story is quite decent, and good acting overall. Perhaps not full of high energy action, but I actually prefer that to non-stop action movies. Very worthwhile seeing, in my opinion. By far the best of all the Planet of the Apes movies, me thinks.

Story:

A female ape, nicknamed ‘Bright eyes' leaves behind a baby ape, in Gen-Sys, a San Francisco-based company, which specializes in advancements in medicine and scientific research. Will Rodman (James Franco), the lead genetic engineer adopts the baby ape, calls him Caesar and gives all that possibly his own mother could have never given.

Caesar, unlike other apes is smart and intelligent, with very high I.Q. All thanks to ALZ-112, a drug manufactured to cure Alzheimer that Will administered on Bright eyes. At age five, Caesar develops intelligence much beyond normal human's capability. With this very intelligence, Caesar when exposed to ill-treatment to his own kind at an ape sanctuary, prepares other primates to take over humans in a war for supremacy.

http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/00749/11NXG_APES_749601f.jpg

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbCoDf44oCE

Tig
August 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM
The trailers and commercials turned me off. They made the movie look like yet another slack-jawed action movie. An overall positive range of reviews pushed me to give it a chance so I just got back from the theater.

Luckily, it turned out to be a well thought out story, making this an excellent movie. It is so much better than first anticipated.

sunvalleylaw
August 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Ok, if you two like it, I am going to go see it.

Katastrophe
August 10th, 2011, 07:44 PM
One of the good things about not having cable is that I'm not exposed to all the hype surrounding movies these days. If I get the cash, I'd like to go see it, just based on Robert and Tig's recommendations. I've seen the trailer, and it looks really cool.

sunvalleylaw
August 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM
My oldest son wants to see it. I may go with him. I'll have to look at the reviews and parent guide to see if his younger brother (11) can come.

Tig
August 10th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I like checking the Yahoo Movies viewer ratings (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810204226/user). The critic ratings for this movie average a "B" and the user ratings (only 1050 so far) averaged an "A-", which makes it worth a viewing for me. So called critics have to maintain their so called credibility by not liking popular movies too much, so they are usually lower than the citizens.

I'd give it between an A- and a B+ since the ape CGI was a little weak.

RottenTomatoes.com has an 82% critics and 90% audience "like" rating.

Tig
August 10th, 2011, 08:52 PM
My oldest son wants to see it. I may go with him. I'll have to look at the reviews and parent guide to see if his younger brother (11) can come.

I took my 10 and 15 year olds so see it, and depending on a kid's sensitivity, 10 or 11 might be as young as I'd recommend. They both loved it, BTW. The preview for "Paranormal Activity 3" was much scarier than anything in the apes movie.

FrankenFretter
August 10th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I haven't seen the trailers, nor any type of ads for this. I will still watch it, because it is PLANET OF THE APES!!!!!!! Yes, I am a fan from way back, even the lame TV series. Yes, I will be watching this and any other PotA films that follow. Even if they suck.

deeaa
August 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Ah...gotta see this too...I love dystopian films :-)

I see it's just in the theaters so I probably should soon be available as 'free download' too...I've pretty much thrown the idea of paying for media on one-off basis in the bin (rather pay my ISP $100 a month and get everything free then), and I can't stand movie theaters...why should I go in a small space with a lot of noisy and sneezing people and not feeling comfortable going to toilet in the middle or get a snack and can't pause the picture either...It's a dead concept...especially now that you get better sound&picture at home easily and can just download the films easily and 'free' anyway...

But, sounds like my kind of film for sure! Hardly ever there's a good SciFi film available.

sunvalleylaw
August 10th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I always liked the series (movies and even the show) as a kid too. I liked the Bradbury-esque sci-fi what if quality of the stories. If the film is not all action and has some story and theme as you who have seen it say, I will probably like it.

deeaa
August 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I see it's on in the local theater...I thought about going to see it, haven't been to a movie theater in aeons...BUT...

I dunno how much are tickets over there, but I see here they are $15 apiece. That's just damned crazy...30 bucks plus babysitter plus popcorn etc...can't go see a movie under $50 it seems. That's just plain too much, you can order a Blu-Ray for half of that...sheesh...

FrankenFretter
August 11th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I see it's on in the local theater...I thought about going to see it, haven't been to a movie theater in aeons...BUT...

I dunno how much are tickets over there, but I see here they are $15 apiece. That's just damned crazy...30 bucks plus babysitter plus popcorn etc...can't go see a movie under $50 it seems. That's just plain too much, you can order a Blu-Ray for half of that...sheesh...

Tickets run around $10 here. And yeah, about $50 for a movie for us, too. That's why we're pretty picky about what we see in theaters.

Rockermann
August 12th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Same here. We go to about one, maybe two movies at the 'theater' each year. The rest of the time, we watch 'em on BluRay in OUR theater:

http://steve-mann.com/theater.html

Tig
August 12th, 2011, 12:59 PM
The rest of the time, we watch 'em on BluRay in OUR theater:

http://steve-mann.com/theater.html

Nicely done! :thumbsup I like the clever access to the back of the AV equipment, too.

Rockermann
August 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks! We love it and spend a LOT of time there.

I still need to tidy up that wiring a little bit too. :)

deeaa
August 12th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I've seen the pics before, but that sure is something to be proud of Steve...really quite awesome! I'd NEVER go to movies if we had a place like that. Never.

Rockermann
August 12th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks, Dee. We are very proud of it. One of the best investments we've ever made. If we ever have to move, it's going to be hard to leave that behind.