PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jani Lane

Lev
August 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I know they weren't eveyone's cup of tea and I think he struggled all his life to be considered a 'credible' song writer. Sad to see him pass though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHK_SS9C9ec&feature=related

http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/11/warrant-singer-jani-lane-dead-dies-died-hotel-ventura-los-angeles-cherry-pie/

Eric
August 12th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Huh. He was pretty young still. That's too bad. I feel like there are probably more Warrant haters out there than there are fans, but so be it. I can't say I loved them, but I guess they were okay.

I noticed in a picture that he was rocking the bald-guy Bret Michaels bandana.

Katastrophe
August 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
The sad thing is, Lane was a good songwriter... "Uncle Tom's Cabin" is a great song. It's unfortunate for the band that the record company took "Cherry Pie" and turned it into quick cash, at the expense of the band's future career.

RIP, Jani.

Eric
August 12th, 2011, 08:54 AM
It's unfortunate for the band that the record company took "Cherry Pie" and turned it into quick cash, at the expense of the band's future career.
Not having been around during 80s hair metal (or at least not having been old enough to have paid attention to it), can I ask you to expand on this a little bit? How did they turn the song into quick cash and how did it compromise the future of the band?

stingx
August 12th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Sad news :( I wasn't a huge fan but I did like 'em. Saw them twice live and thought the shows were great. 47 is way to young to be checking out.

Commodore 64
August 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Cherry Pie is my last favorite Warrant song. Jani was a good vocalist and song writer. I'm gonna put Down Boys and Heaven on my playlist right now.

Katastrophe
August 12th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Not having been around during 80s hair metal (or at least not having been old enough to have paid attention to it), can I ask you to expand on this a little bit? How did they turn the song into quick cash and how did it compromise the future of the band?

Jani has said in interviews that when that he wanted "Uncle Tom's Cabin" to be the focus of the record... After "Cherry Pie" was written, the record company went overboard and soon Warrant was playing at cherry pie eating contests, and the like. The bands image got so tied up in that song that it didn't matter after that what they released... Effectively the song, and all the hype surrounding it, killed the prospect of future success for the band (well, that, and the whole Nirvana / grunge thing, too).

Eric
August 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Jani has said in interviews that when that he wanted "Uncle Tom's Cabin" to be the focus of the record... After "Cherry Pie" was written, the record company went overboard and soon Warrant was playing at cherry pie eating contests, and the like. The bands image got so tied up in that song that it didn't matter after that what they released... Effectively the song, and all the hype surrounding it, killed the prospect of future success for the band (well, that, and the whole Nirvana / grunge thing, too).
That's hilarious about them playing at pie-eating contests (whether that actually happened or not). Grunge was a growing freight train that probably would have killed that no matter what, but wasn't Warrant one of the worst offenders of the preening, glossy pop metal that bordered on boy-band territory with their white suits and what not? I feel like that made it easier for grunge to look so much more legit.

stingx
August 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
They were nowhere near as bad as Poison, musically or visually.