PDA

View Full Version : Our daughter's best friend in a coma after accident

Robert
August 12th, 2011, 09:42 AM
We got this devastating news last night. Our daughter's long time and best friend was in a serious car accident yesterday and is in ICU. Late last night we were informed that she is in a coma and on life support. She was on a road trip to Vancouver with some friends, and she is in a Vancouver hospital right now (far away from home, where we are, Edmonton area).

We are shocked and sad.

Earlier in the day, both our older daughters had had a tough and long and sad day at the funeral of her grandfather (they are my step-daughters).

This girl is a wonderful 18-year old who has babysat for us many times. A very dear friend of our whole family.

Our daughter is in deep shock and despair.

Tig
August 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Very sad news. Your family must feel so helpless and hurt. I hope she pulls through.
It is amazing how the body can overcome with the help of good medical treatment.

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I am sorry to hear this bad news. I hope and pray for the best for her and her family.

Robert
August 12th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the support.

I feel lost. Not sure what to do.

Eric
August 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Wow. I'm really sorry to hear that. I sincerely hope she comes out of it with no lasting effects.

Beerman
August 12th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Life changes in just an instant but it takes a very long time to get over things. Hopefully, she will pull through.
Your step daughters, sadly, are having to learn what us older folks have to and that's that life is fragile and you can never be fully prepared for what life gives you.

Seeing your child in pain or hanging on to life is something I can't even grip my mind on nor do I want to. I've heard so much bad news lately and hope for good news. i do believe that prayer makes a difference and she's got mine as do your daughters.

bcdon
August 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Very sad news, Robert. I'm in Vancouver so if there is anything you, or their family, need done locally just let me know.

mapka
August 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
She'll be in my prayers tonight Robert

Robert
August 12th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone, the support is greatly appreciated.

Katastrophe
August 12th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Sorry to read this, Robert. Prayers of comfort for you and your family, and prayers of a quick, full recovery for your daughter's friend.

MAXIFUNK
August 12th, 2011, 08:33 PM
SORRY TO HEAR THIS Robert my Prays go out to your friend and both yours and her's families.

piebaldpython
August 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM
So sorry to hear about her Robert. If she is in a "medically induced" coma, let me assure you that is the best place for her to be given the trauma she has undergone. I have more than a passing knowledge of how they work. It gives the body a chance to rest and recover without having to expend energy to exist. Best wishes for the young lady.

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I feel lost. Not sure what to do.

All I can think of is to be there for your daughter, and offer whatever support you can to her friend's family. Being there for your daughter, for whatever she needs, it the most important I would think.

progrmr
August 12th, 2011, 11:08 PM
This is definitely going to be a shock for your daughters. When I was young I always felt invincible, that feeling reinforced by the fact that no one I knew died.

I hope they can work through it over time and live life knowing just how fragile our existence can be.

otaypanky
August 12th, 2011, 11:43 PM
'Hoping for the best and a full recovery for her, Robert. Her youth may be her best strength in getting through this. It's shocking how life can change for any of us so drastically in a nanosecond. Keep us posted

FrankenFretter
August 14th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Very sorry to hear this, Robert. I hope everything turns out alright.

Jipes
August 15th, 2011, 03:16 AM
We got this devastating news last night. Our daughter's long time and best friend was in a serious car accident yesterday and is in ICU. Late last night we were informed that she is in a coma and on life support. She was on a road trip to Vancouver with some friends, and she is in a Vancouver hospital right now (far away from home, where we are, Edmonton area).

We are shocked and sad.

Earlier in the day, both our older daughters had had a tough and long and sad day at the funeral of her grandfather (they are my step-daughters).

This girl is a wonderful 18-year old who has babysat for us many times. A very dear friend of our whole family.

Our daughter is in deep shock and despair.

All my thoughts and good wishes are with you and your family Robert, car accidents are devastating. I'll pray for her !

Duffy
August 16th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Best wishes and prayers for all touched by this.

Robert
August 16th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Thank you.

She is undergoing another surgery today, to relieve some of the pressure from the swelling of the brain.

Our daughter is there now. She and some other people drove 14 hours to get there to see the girl. We are all praying and hoping for her and her family.

duhvoodooman
August 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Prayers for the best possible outcome to this tragic situation.

street music
August 16th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Robert , I just read this thread, I hope your friend can pull through this with a full recovery. I hear and see so much of this stuff going on and when it close to our own homes the hurt is hard to deal with.

Tig
May 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM
Robert, any good news on this girl's condition?

Robert
May 2nd, 2012, 08:18 AM
Yes, thanks for asking. A little while ago, I went to see her at her home. She was moved from Vancouver to Edmonton a few months ago. She started doing better so they transferred her to a smaller city, where they now work on rehab. She gets to come home on weekends.

Her leg and knee is problematic, and she just recently learned to walk again. There's a lot of re-learning for her.

I am so glad she is back with us, but she is also so much different of course. Her memory doesn't work like it used to, because of the head trauma she received.

Her jaw may need redoing - she has pain and the doctors think it will get worse. A lot of dental work need to be done too.

She was always such a happy personality, and she still is. She smiles a lot!

She has a long road of recovery, both emotional, physical and mental, ahead of her, and her dreams of university studies will likely have to change. That makes me sad, but I keep thinking "she survived and is with us" - that's the most important thing of all.

Her website is at http://kristalena.ca and thanks for all the support, everyone.

poodlesrule
May 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the update, and best wishes for progress in therapy.

Does she have, or had an interest in making music?

I am thinking about it, as I tool around with my new ukelele, and it may be the right instrument here, compact, easy "starter" chords, etc.

Robert
May 2nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
poodles, she used to play piano. I don't think she is able to anymore.

sunvalleylaw
May 2nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Thank you for the update Robert. And thanks for asking Tig! It is wonderful to hear she still has some of her sunny disposition. Hopefully, she can recover to live an enjoyable life, even if it will not be the same as it might have been before her injury.