View Full Version : Oops I did it again

Spudman
August 12th, 2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liPMyBeTzV0&feature=related

http://www.magdonmusic.net/media/08/a20791d12fc05e10488c13_m.jpg

Tig
August 12th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Can't blame you. I love 'em! :drool

Is it on order, or has the eagle already landed?

Spudman
August 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Can't blame you. I love 'em! :drool

Is it on order, or has the eagle already landed?

It will start a short tour next week ending up at the final stop on the tour...my house.

You know, Britney really had potential when she was that age.

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Hmm, I thought something else was landing first. Congrats though!

Spudman
August 12th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Hmm, I thought something else was landing first. Congrats though!

Well...the perfect deal came up so I had to jump on it or hate myself forever. I played another one this week locally and got all giddy inside again. I have my fingers crossed that it's a good one. I've liked the feel and sound of every one that I've played so far. If I don't like this one I can flip it and come out smelling like a rose.

stingx
August 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Nice! You leaving it stock?

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Cool! Let me know how you like it. I think one of those could be a serious contender for Derek if he gets serious about it. It would be ideal if it was routed for a minihum in the neck, but even stock I bet it will rock.

bcdon
August 13th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'm sure the guitar is great buy you picked the wrong version of that song! :-) :dude
K84j7CJIUKU

Spudman
August 13th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Nice! You leaving it stock?

Most likely. The stock pickups so far on the ones I've tried will get me the sounds that I want. If it fails to do so I may opt for the Richie Kotzen setup with a Chopper T in the bridge and a Twang King in the neck.

I really seriously love the alnico 3s in my CV Strat, but this Tele has alnico 5s. The 60's CV Strat has the 5s too. My thinking was that instead of getting another Strat, which I have plenty of, that the Tele would cover the 60s tones for me. Plus, I really like how these sound acousticaly. They are snappy and loud and seem to have a lot of sustain unplugged. The necks have all felt good so far too. I was pretty sure I wanted this model. I'd just been waiting for the right deal to come along and it did.

bcdon - Britney is much better to look at succa. But if guys are your thing I'm okay with that. :poke:rollover

I don't think that song really works for CoB. It's like they did it just as a gag. They don't sound sincere.

Eric
August 13th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Congrats, Spud. The Britney Spears stuff reminds me of this one:

2fyjK1gGhJw

bcdon
August 13th, 2011, 12:12 PM
bcdon - Britney is much better to look at succa. But if guys are your thing I'm okay with that. :poke:rollover

LOL. Nope, I don't bat for that team!
9ild8w0rHQU

Spudman
August 23rd, 2011, 03:35 PM
She just showed up today and she's everything I expected. Brand new and no flaws that I can find so far. I've played quite a few of these and I've liked every single one. This one seems great as well. I'll play it Thursday while we record so that you guys can hear it.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/IMGP2263.jpg

Tig
August 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Damn you and your GAS inducing thread!
:mad
That looks really nice. I love these guitars.
:socool

Robert
August 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Sweet, congrats! I dig those too, perhaps I should get one, :D

sunvalleylaw
August 23rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Those do look cool. I kinda jones for a different stain on the body or maybe a paint job, but I bet it plays and sounds sweet!

Katastrophe
August 24th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Congrats, Spud! What a beauty!

NWBasser
August 24th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Very nice, Spud.

HNGD!

stingx
August 24th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Damn! I really like the look of that guitar. Squire's are just kicking all kinds of ***.

Spudman
August 31st, 2011, 04:16 PM
The latest one is a LTD EC-256 Honey Sunburst. This has a flame maple top, tummy bevel on the back, coil taps and came with a groovy and heavy duty Bodyglove gig bag and leather strap. I just opened it and haven't had time to do anything with it. I'll clean it up and get a report out later tonight I hope. These come stock with a pre-stressed finish. No gloss on this baby.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/IMGP2273.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/IMGP2270.jpg

marnold
August 31st, 2011, 05:38 PM
The latest one is a LTD EC-256 Honey Sunburst.
You just got one because I got an LTD bass. Copycat. ;)

Seriously, though, HNGD! I'd be interested to hear how that one compares to the Ibanezes.

stingx
August 31st, 2011, 07:27 PM
Berry nice! I like that particular model.

Spudman
August 31st, 2011, 10:34 PM
I'm having a hard time putting this guitar down long enough to write something about it. Just a moment.......

Okay, I'm back. Hold on......
Now I'm definitely back. I've been trying to think of all I want to say about this guitar...but I keep picking it up and playing and forgetting about any review.

To start - this is a very well constructed guitar. It looks worn but the spots don't feel worn or abused. Kind of neat however they did it. The whole guitar has a silky, satin finish and feels like an old friend when I strap it on. The neck is perfectly smooth in spite of the worn look. And speaking of necks, this is going to be in my top 5 as far as feel goes. It's fast due to the lack of gloss and the frets are a bit tall so the action is comfortably low, but it's still easy to get under strings for bends. It's also narrow side to side and fits my hand perfectly. There is plenty of room to maneuver on the neck and not cramped feeling one bit.

All the hardware has an aged look to it. It's like chrome that has satinized (become satin/dull in sheen). The pickup covers are bright chrome though. All the neck binding and pickup rings are aged yellow too. Nice finish to the neck as well. The back is a dark mahogany and the front is a dark rosewood. I took steel wool to the back of the neck, polished the frets and smoothed the fretboard a little. Afterward I did a light oil treatment to the fingerboard and was happily surprised that no color rubbed off. It's the real deal rosewood. It didn't even soak up very much oil so it appears to be good quality.

The flame maple top is like a guitar that has been owned, cared for but played in a variety of venues for the past 45 years and may have had a nitro finish. It's not breathtaking but it looks cool and respectable nonetheless. Not like some fad or toy guitar.

The sounds is pretty right on for a Les Paul type sound. In full humbucking mode it sounds very much what you would expect a LP to sound like. Now the real interesting part is that when the neck pickup is tapped it sounds more like a low output vintage neck humbucker. Very sweet and full of character. The tone knob dials in a very nice vocal vowel sound when it's rolled off. It doesn't seem to alter the output but gives it that classic trebleless tone you've heard on hundreds of recordings.

Strap buttons are solid and large but not overly large. Just right to keep a good strap on without worrying.

This one has a 3 piece mahogany body and it's easy to see the pieces in good lighting and the cavity cover is pretty small compared to a Les Paul's. I can't, however, see the headstock scarf joint so it looks like a 1 piece mahogany neck to me.

Now for the most interesting part - the volume knobs are reversed. Looks like it came from the factory that way. The electronics really had me stumped for a while after I got it cleaned up and strung up. I thought the bridge pickup was defective. Might be why I got the deal of the decade on it but I'm not sure. I'll swap those pots around as soon as I can force myself to quit playing it long enough. It really is a gas to play. I debated 9s or 10s and ended up going with 10s which was a good choice. Sounds balanced either plugged in or acoustically. It's actually pretty loud acoustically. It plays in balance too in a good position without any neck drop.

Knowing what I do now about this model LTD I can almost kick myself not getting one sooner. This guitar makes many of mine obsolete for me. This one is going to get a lot of play time no doubt about it.