PDA

View Full Version : A must have for best possible tone...

deeaa
August 14th, 2011, 10:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/THP-Hysterring59-Vintage-Creme-Pickuprings-M69-/310338673605?pt=Guitar&hash=item4841a05bc5#ht_3068wt_899

Gotsta gets one!

marnold
August 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Well, at least the shipping is free!

Spudman
August 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
There was a guy a while back that tried selling those on thefret. What kind of maroon would spend that on 2 pieces of plastic?

FrankenFretter
August 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Good lord! I don't even think the real thing would sell for that much. I remember the guy that had M69 rings for sale. At the time, I had no idea what they were.

Tig
August 14th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I rather get me some boo-tique plastic rings for my next opening at Madison Square Bedroom.
No need for vintage when boo-tique is now the thing for trendy hipsterz. :cool:

Teleman77
August 15th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Some idiot will buy that fools junk though............that's just the way the cookie crumbles. lol

Katastrophe
August 15th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Fellas, if I ever post a thread with the title, "NPRD - New pickup ring day!" and announce that I had purchased these items, please send me to a Fret.Net intervention for reeducation.

$600.00 for a pair of freakin' pup rings... Those dudes have got to be out of their ever lovin' minds! I'd rather save my money and buy a whole freaking guitar, "inferior" pup rings and all.

duhvoodooman
August 16th, 2011, 08:12 AM
This is symptomatic of the worst kind of cork-sniffing elitist BS. The product description is a study in absurdity:

"Uneven legs, flash, drooling, warp, hardness and color. These features found on now discontinued legendary pick-up ring "M-69" reflect the fuzziness of '50s molding technology."

Great!! I really have a burning desire to buy guitar parts intentionally made with inferior materials and manufacturing processes! Wow!! Lucky me!! Only $600!!!

Seriously, what kind of moron goes for this stuff?? :thwap

Bookkeeper's Son
August 16th, 2011, 08:29 AM
The listing could be interpreted as an interesting indictment of the entire voodoo/mojo/BS guitar parts market, where the only real difference is the number of dollars.

deeaa
August 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Oh yeah...the problem is, it is often very hard to draw the line between where does it begin to be just voodoo and where is it still real.

Me, I draw the line pretty close to regular stuff. I don't buy into _anything_ that can't be scientifically proved to exist or at least deemed as plausible by scientific methods - and/or stuff I can see and feel for myself by testing it personally.

Tig
August 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM
$600.00 for a pair of freakin' pup rings... Those dudes have got to be out of their ever lovin' minds! I'd rather save my money and buy a whole freaking guitar, "inferior" pup rings and all.

All my guitars cost less than $600 each. :)

Robert
August 16th, 2011, 10:03 AM
How can anyone really want to pay that much for pickup rings? Even it was "only" $100, it's still just plastic and over priced!

I don't get it.

Eric
August 16th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I suppose my question is whether people do pay that much for this stuff. I mean sure, there's an auction on eBay, but are they just fishing for ridiculous prices, or do people actually buy them for the listed price?

deeaa
August 16th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I understood from a discussion elsewhere that the company who sells them has indeed sold similar products before. Likely in very small quantities :-)

marnold
August 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Fool, money. Money, fool. Don't bother to get to know one another.

I'd love to think that this is some big performance-art-ish, social commentary, dripping-with-irony kind of thing, but I doubt that's the case.

FrankenFretter
August 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Fool, money. Money, fool. Don't bother to get to know one another.

I'd love to think that this is some big performance-art-ish, social commentary, dripping-with-irony kind of thing, but I doubt that's the case.

Maybe you're on to something there, Rev. Perhaps this is the guitar world's equivalent to L Ron Hubbard's Scientology experiment.

bcdon
August 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Maybe you're on to something there, Rev. Perhaps this is the guitar world's equivalent to L Ron Hubbard's Scientology experiment.

Wow, in one thread I get mocked for overing paying on my mojo rings and for my use of an e-meter! Both of which, by the way, are essential for good tones! :rollover