PDA

View Full Version : Kids and fire

Spudman
August 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM
A couple of kids on the edge of town yesterday were playing with fire and it got away from them. This is going to cost the parents a bit of coin.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/IMGP2244.jpg

NWBasser
August 16th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Yikes!

I wonder if it took out the comm. towers on the far hill?

street music
August 16th, 2011, 06:05 PM
And they could have lost their lives too?? That would have been a great picture if it wasn't burnt black.

bcdon
August 16th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Being from Southwest Texas my first glance didn't reveal anything wrong but on the second take I got it. Dumb kids.

This is what I mean:
http://creativewebideas.com/elpaso/components/com_fpss/images/desert.jpg

Spudman
August 16th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Yikes!

I wonder if it took out the comm. towers on the far hill?

All the communications and weather towers were spared. One house, however, wasn't. Lots of folks were evacuated for the rest of yesterday until this morning. So far just one house got torched. Sad thing is this is deer grazing corridor, and along with human encroachment the fire is going to put them at a disadvantage this winter.

aeolian
August 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM
We should all teach kids not to play with fire. Just a couple of weeks ago here in the Portland area some small children playing with a lighter set a barn on fire, a 3 year old child died.

Spudman
August 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
We should all teach kids not to play with fire. Just a couple of weeks ago here in the Portland area some small children playing with a lighter set a barn on fire, a 3 year old child died.

That's a good point. Although...while I was on the road, and legally an adult, I caught a drummer on fire. Just sayin.

aeolian
August 17th, 2011, 04:24 PM
That's a good point. Although...while I was on the road, and legally an adult, I caught a drummer on fire. Just sayin.

A "Spinal Tap" moment!

Spudman
August 17th, 2011, 06:03 PM
A "Spinal Tap" moment!

It totally was. Somewhat similar to a Stephen King story.

markb
August 18th, 2011, 07:07 AM
It happens round here a lot. Some beer, a portable barbie. Next thing you've got a raging bush fire. Still, it keeps the gorse down.

R_of_G
August 18th, 2011, 07:08 AM
The one and only time my father ever raised a hand to me as a child was when I was about nine and he caught me playing with matches. He was beside himself that he'd struck me but was legitimately more concerned that I'd burn the house down and kill us all. He made his point. My pyromania ended then and there.

marnold
August 18th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Sadly a good friend of mine had his son die from playing with matches. The child had managed to climb up and undo the latches (they never did figure out how he pulled that one off). Once they knew there was a fire, they tried to get to him, but they couldn't. I can't imagine anything worse. Thankfully, the rest of the family was safe.