PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360: Toy Soldiers Cold War

deeaa
August 19th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Somebody here recommended the original Toy Soldiers, which indeed was great fun...got all the addons for it too, nice game indeed (although never did get the final space robot destroyed) :-(

Anyway, now out is an all new Cold War reincarnation of the game, and it's much the same. If you liked the original, chances are you'll dig this too.

It works smoother, quicker and is more polished than the original with a few nice new additions to arsenal and game functions.
BUT beware - it has also been somewhat geared towards more fervent, ceaseless fighting (you even get to control a 3D style 1st person Commando that can run around sometimes) and as such, there's a little less emphasis on strategy. Gone are the setting of fences etc. and at least on normal level, first run of the missions, they seem pretty easy to win, and it's rather much just loads of firing your guns ceaselessly.

But still, despite it seems so far after 4 missions to be a bit dumbed-down and more arcade-like, it still seems enjoyable. Still worth the few bucks its costs.

BTW I was just looking at my Xbox360 stats, and I saw that I have earned achievements in no less than 94 games already...so I have bought almost a hundred games for the thing!!! Never would have guessed. Almost half of them I've already sold forward too. I have a few dozen games on disks, and the rest on HD...still, amazing!

It must be a great business for MS...

Ch0jin
August 24th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks for posting that Deeaa, I was a big fan of the first one but I admit I liked the strategic aspect more than the shooting bits so maybe this one aint for me.

Hey if you've gone through almost a hundred games, please tell me you have played Brutal Legend! I picked it up for $15 brand new the other day and I've been loving it. Voice of Jack Black as a roadie who gets sent to hell and teams up with a gang of metal heads to fight demons. Cameos (so far) by Ozzie and Lemmy too!

deeaa
August 24th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Yeah, I did play the demo and it seemed like a fun game, especially for the voices etc; I'll pick it up if see it 4 cheap somewhere for sure.

However, next on my acquire list are the Portal II, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, though, once they become available for sensible prices. Maybe Mafia II. Been eyeing the Red Dead Redemption which is down to 29;- by now, but I'm leery it could be a bit too much like GTA which I don't dig so much, despite have one of those too.

Also considering getting the upcoming Bad Company game, but if I do, it'll likely be on PC for a chance...better platform for 1st person shooters.

I've found myself actually playing some on PC too for a change; just bought 'Alpha Polaris' adventure and played it thru on two sittings, and then I've fired up my old favorite Stalker:Clear Sky and also COD MW2 for some shoot-em-up action. I also realized I've bought a couple of PC games like a year ago and never got around to playing them, including two of the older Command&Conquer games and some online shooters. Oh well.

But on Xbox I've mostly been hacking away at 'Outland' and also the new Toy Soldiers, and just got and completed in almost one night the new 'From Dust' which was pretty nice...if you liked the original Toy Soldiers for strategy, you'd dig that...it was sadly short an experience though...but cool.

I've bought so many games off the live marketplace I should have a short break from them...but I'll have to d/l the Trials Evolution still. Luckily games today are dirt cheap, I mean, for a price of a good lunch you might get two games.

But, well, all this is just something to do awaiting for the next add-on to Fallout:New Vegas...I swear, for me the Fallout games would have been easily reason enough to buy the Xbox in the first place, I just love them :-)