PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'm gonna have to start taking better care of myself...

Katastrophe
August 24th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Went to the doc today for a cold and a plugged up left ear... Got kind of a wake up call.

BP was in the 150s over 90s, weight over 200 lbs. (I'm 5'7"), heart rate at 45 bpm (which wouldn't be a bad thing if I was an athlete, but I'm not), and the doc tells me that my heart was occaisionally skipping beats. I'm 39 years old.

Crap, crap, crappity crap!

Luckily, my ticker started keeping good time again before I left, and I was advised to meet with a cardiologist.

So, looks like I'm gonna have to get my sorry, unhealthy arse in shape.

Caffeine is gone.
High sodium foods are gone.
High fat and cholesterol foods are gone.

Regular excercise is in my immediate future.

Looks like I'll be eating broccoli with a side of air for my meals now. **sigh**

On a motorcycle forum I used to belong to before I came here, one of the members posted a thread so people could track their weight loss. I joined in, and lost 48 lbs. by the time I was done. Kept the weight off for several years, too, before my eating habits took a nosedive.

If I posted a thread like that, would anyone be interested in joining in?

progrmr
August 24th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Man turning forty was really tough on me (41 now)....BP 175/120! 240 lbs., 5'11" here. Started having anxiety attacks - the kind that landed me in the ER 3 times in less than a year.

I had exercised my was down to 203 but then had to go in meds for the anxiety. I just went off them 3 months ago after being on them for 7 months...I weighed in at 249 two weeks ago!

Started working out everyday and today I'm down to 243 2 weeks later. So down 6 lbs and still going.

I'm in!

marnold
August 24th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Once again, Katastrophe lives up to his pseudonym! As I posted in another thread, I started running this summer. I'm 43. My BP, cholesterol, and triglycerides were all borderline high. I really didn't want to go on medication. Thus far my stamina is vastly improved. I really didn't need to lose weight, although dropping 10 wouldn't hurt me. I'm 5'10.5" and I just dropped under 180 lbs. I was more concerned with converting a little fat into muscle. Plus the exercise can help with stress, which I have plenty of from time to time in this line of work. The thing for me will be keeping up with the running because I'm not a natural athlete, nor do I particularly enjoy running. I don't loathe it either.

Beerman
August 24th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Count me in for moral support. I have a bit higher than I should cholesterol and have been on meds for 4 years. I'm 53 and 5'7" and weigh 172. BP is good but heart disease is on both sides of my family. I'm a twin (not identical) and my brother was 35 lbs heavier than me and about to need to to get on BP pills. In 5 months of just watching what he ate and exercise, he lost 40 lbs is is 3 lbs less than me. However, I exercise 5 days a week. Let me make it clear....I HATE EXERCISE. But, it's kept me in good shape and my doc says I have the health of a 30 year old.

What I can say is that after about a year or so of loosing, your body gets use to it and it's harder but, if you keep your regimen up, it also slows down the re-weight gain.

I'd love to follow anyone along but I would only need to cut to about 5 lbs. I'll be a cheerleader. :dance

Eric
August 24th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I'm game -- post a link to the thread if you don't mind, just so I don't miss it. I'm 32, 6'3", and 220. I'd like to lose ~10-15 pounds, so I think it would be a good thing to be a part of. Support is so key in things like this.

FrankenFretter
August 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I could lose a few pounds...but that sounds like a lot of work. I'm 46, 5'8.874" and 164 lbs. BP is alright last time I checked, but my cholesterol test wasn't great. Then again, I didn't fast before the test, so my results may not be totally accurate. I do need to start exercising again, I've been a couch potato for too long. I'm thankful that I was active for most of my life, otherwise I'd be in even worse shape. I'm not promising anything, but I'll stay tuned...and possibly join in.

marnold
August 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I'm 46, 5'8.874"
Huh. I always pictured you as 5'8.85". I guess you really can't tell a guy's height from his guitar forum posts.

FrankenFretter
August 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Huh. I always pictured you as 5'8.85". I guess you really can't tell a guy's height from his guitar forum posts.

That was a tribute to you, my good reverend, and your 5'10.5"... ;)

Eric
August 24th, 2011, 08:31 PM
If we're being that specific, I'm actually 6'2.5".

Bookkeeper's Son
August 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I should accept the challenge, too, but I'm really undisciplined when it comes to diet and exercise. Considering that I am at least 25 pounds overweight, have high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic, I should get serious. And as I approach 60, I'm noticing that I don't have the muscle strength I used to have, so again, I need the exercise.

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I am in.

marnold
August 24th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I figured. I thought that one silly turned deserved another :)

player
August 24th, 2011, 10:34 PM
would be but at 5'8 58 yrs. young 170 ish,normal BP,cholesterol is where it belongs.still wanting some gym action though to firm up
only one I know that at my age does 50 pushups a day

deeaa
August 25th, 2011, 12:53 AM
My problem is more like I can't get my weigh up, I mean, in a healthy way. I'm about 5'11' and weigh 167lbs, while most of my friends the same height weigh more like 200 and they aren't fat at all. Hell my dad weighs nearly 200 and he's clearly shorter than me. Guess I have bird bones. When I was 18 22 years ago, I managed to weigh 178 which is my all time tops, and looking at the pics I looked really really fat with a double chin already. I did a lot of sporting back then, no car etc. so I ran everywhere, plus ski'd and ran and swam and whatnot...that must have been the cause for getting so fat. Exercise kills :-)

These days the problem is...well this summer I worked REAL hard and even ran some and, you know chin-ups ups to 20 times etc. but all I got was my muscles got so damaged in a few months of using them much more than in the winter, I had to basically not use them for almost a month. Thus I could not build any mass in them.

I do my best to eat loads of eggs and bacon and sausages and such, and several beers daily, etc. but to no avail...yeah I could have a little tighter a stomach, but I don't gain weight, at least in muscle. BP is around 110/60 or so and pulse around 70 usually.

I think I could get the weigh up if I started binging on sodas and bread etc. but I'd just want a little more muscle. Dunno how could I do that, though. I would NOT say I'm in a good condition, I have this feeling I should do much more towards my health, but I just don't know what could it be.

ZMAN
August 25th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Went to the doc today for a cold and a plugged up left ear... Got kind of a wake up call.

BP was in the 150s over 90s, weight over 200 lbs. (I'm 5'7"), heart rate at 45 bpm (which wouldn't be a bad thing if I was an athlete, but I'm not), and the doc tells me that my heart was occaisionally skipping beats. I'm 39 years old.

Crap, crap, crappity crap!

Luckily, my ticker started keeping good time again before I left, and I was advised to meet with a cardiologist.

So, looks like I'm gonna have to get my sorry, unhealthy arse in shape.

Caffeine is gone.
High sodium foods are gone.
High fat and cholesterol foods are gone.

Regular excercise is in my immediate future.

Looks like I'll be eating broccoli with a side of air for my meals now. **sigh**

On a motorcycle forum I used to belong to before I came here, one of the members posted a thread so people could track their weight loss. I joined in, and lost 48 lbs. by the time I was done. Kept the weight off for several years, too, before my eating habits took a nosedive.

If I posted a thread like that, would anyone be interested in joining in?

I think that people in North America have to be blind or just don't absorb what is being pounded into them by the media.
We are all eating the wrong foods the wrong way. Losing 40 or 50 lbs is not the answer. Gaining even 5 lbs should be a huge red flag.
You don't need to "Diet". The human body uses what it can of it's intake of food daily then deposits the rest in fat for later. If we don't use up the calories we put on weight. If you watch shows like the biggest loser, you will see the common thread is that we need to exercise, and not eat a lot of the wrong types of food. We do need fats, and carbs, and cutting them out will only make your life miserable.
As far as exercise, all you need to do is take a decent walk once a day and it will be enough. Get out of the golf cart, and walk. Eat a balanced diet and watch your portion sizes. The things like potato chips, cheezees etc. are killing you.
Soda is one of the worst. Drink water or flaoured drinks.
The message that all the nutritionists are pushing is that this is a lifestyle change that can be for life.
I am 64 and have been following this lifestyle for 40 years. I am a little over weight but I have a lot of muscle. I used to do a lot of weight training and I still play hockey twice a week in the winter for 2 hours at a time. I still play golf, walking with a push cart, and have regular walks. I do use light weights to keep my muscles in trim. The biggest thing is eating.
My wife is a fanatic about portion sizes and baked not fried food. Low sodium, and lots of veggies.
So I guess what I am saying is that you don't have to change your life drastically, you just have to do a little more, and eat a little less.
And don't think that eating healthy means "no flavor". We have found thousands of knock you socks off receipes, for everyday food that are not any harder to prepare, and taste amazing. Set some goals in your exercise program. Like walk a block today and a block and a half tomorrow. Don't over do it so that you hurt yourself. If you stay with this you will find that your life and body will change slowly. But you will get healtier. My father had to change his whole lifestyle at 50, and he is now 85, and we played golf together yesterday.
I think if you read what other guys are saying in this thread you will see the common issue is the Yo Yo affect. You don't want that to happen. Huge weight loss followed by huge weght gain. It should be gradual and you should reach a healthy weight that you can maintain.

Beerman
August 25th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Zman, obesity is almost an epidemic in the US now. While I agree with much of what you say (and follow much of the lifestyle you do) many do need to 'DIET'. They are tuned into fast, fatty foods, eating in front the tv and generally, just becoming lazy. Many do need a major lifestyle change. Not necessarily vegan but more fruits and vegetables and leaner meats. Definitely not fried foods.
The fast food restaurants basically toy with the idea of healthy foods. I see today the Burger King is offering oatmeal. Likely it's got more sugar in it than need be.
Water....yes, yes, yes! People I know who got medical help for serious weight loss say drinking lots more water than you think you need made a difference to them. Helps with their chances of lowering diabetes too. Of course, no smoking too.
Bottom line....you pretty much hit the high points but unless those who are chronically overweight change the way they think about food, normal diet and exercise won't help as much.

Spudman
August 25th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Zman, obesity is almost an epidemic in the US now.

According to the C.D.C. it is an epidemic and has been for a while now. The scary part is that it's a higher rate for children.

Eat less - exercise more. You guys are right on about that. Many people take in far more calories than they burn in a day. We have high calorie, non nutritious food abundantly available to us for cheap and that constitutes a large part of the average North American diet. Realistically, most of us should be consuming below 1,900 calories per day. It's a scientific fact that if you eat less you live longer too.

Consistently eating high fiber and nutrient rich foods at sensible caloric levels yields a 'diet' that improves your health and costs much less in money and health problems in the future.

Robert
August 25th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Take care of yourself!

Get enough sleep
Eat less calories
No snacking on unhealthy junk - eat carrots, apples etc instead
Exercise! Go for walks with your wife and kids. Bike instead of taking the car, if possible.

You can do it!

Katastrophe
August 25th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Good points, all!

Z, if any of those recipies are online, it would be cool if you could throw me a link.

Tig
August 25th, 2011, 08:35 AM
When I started night shift on weekends 79 weeks ago, I stopped bike riding. 3 good rides per week kept the weight in check and delayed a lung capacity limiting condition that has yet to be diagnosed. The lung problem made me stop racing the previous year.

Now I'm 15 pounds heavier (20 above my mid-130's "racing" weight) and can't walk up more than 2 flights of stairs. I'm really out of shape in both cardio and muscles. Throw in the cycle of long night shifts and not so great sleep, and I'm feeling constantly sick. 80-90% of my body constantly aches without any relief or a break.

Between the lungs and chronic muscle pain, getting back into shape seems like an impossible fantasy. Throw in the severe osteoporosis, and I'm a 75-80 year old man in a 48 year old body. All doctors want to do is push drugs that have side effects which would make everything even more difficult.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm normally not one to complain. I wish there was any way out or up, but so far, nada.

Tig
August 25th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Look at everything as a life style change and not a diet or something that has to be done. Do an exercise that is fun enough that you look forward to doing and you'll stick with it.

I remember watching several friend's fathers and my relatives come out of bypass surgery, doing everything right for about 6 months... Then they stopped the exercise and went back to bacon and eggs, french fries, etc. It was never long before the massive heart attack and resulting funeral.

However, I also remember the guys who enjoyed the life style change and the feeling great again. Those guys are still with us, making younger guys look like wimps! One is my 78 year old Dad who is really active and happy.

Eric
August 25th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hey Kat,

I originally meant that I'd be interested in doing a sort of online support group thing. However, it seems like it might be hard for this not to turn into a brow-beating, chest-thumping thing, so I'm not sure if I'd be down with that. I used to weigh around 300 pounds, and what I've found through my years of dealing with my weight and health in general is that 1) it's mostly about what I eat, and 2) I do best when I have support from people to maintain good habits. It's that second part that I think could be very helpful with a forum like this, and I personally like the idea a lot.

I guess I'm just saying that if we're not careful, I think it could easily descend into something that's competitive and damaging instead of supportive and edifying. If that happens, it's going to be a lot harder for me to want to participate. Just FYI.

piebaldpython
August 25th, 2011, 10:44 AM
54....5' 11"....240 lbs (just dropped 10)........BP 120/70 and am on Lisinipril and Sular for 3 years as my BP was 150/100. Cholesterol, Triglycerides, HDL/LDL all good.

DUH.....but Diet/Exercise are the best things. I will say one thing over and above diet. Try to eat as much unprocessed/additive-free foods as you can. I spent 6 weeks in Germany in 2008 and during that time, my body acted better than ever.......food in-food out.

We Americans have so many additives in our food that it takes a toll on our bodies to process/eliminate the non-necessary elements. My daughter is now a vegetarian and since she has gone that route, her skin has cleared up trememdously....no more acne.

Beerman
August 25th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Try to eat as much unprocessed/additive-laced foods as you can. I spent 6 weeks in Germany in 2008 and during that time, my body acted better than ever.......food in-food out.

We Americans have so many additives in our food that it takes a toll on our bodies to process/eliminate the non-necessary elements. My daughter is now a vegetarian and since she has gone that route, her skin has cleared up trememdously....no more acne.
Hormones might be literally killing young children. Try as I might, it's expensive to eat well. I've actually decided to skip many of my nightly dinners and switch to a fruit smoothy or just veggies if I do eat. Now, if I do happen to cheat and eat fried foods, I feel it for 2 days (much like over drinking!)
I know this thread is going further than it was likely intended but there's some good advice and info here.

ZMAN
August 25th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Good points, all!

Z, if any of those recipies are online, it would be cool if you could throw me a link.
My wife collects them from anywhere she can. We get them out of the news paper, magazines, even the grocery stores have them in the aisles on little cards. She has one of those expanding folders full of them. We both cook so we can pretty well tell by the ingredients if it will be tasty, or tatesless. A lot of substitures will taste almost as good and will be 1/10 the calories.
We in Canada have had the nutritional info on our food for years. I think it just became mandatory in the US recently.
If you take a look at some of the Sodium and calories in some of the food you would cringe. The other thing you HAVE to look at is the serving sizes When you are looking at the ingredients they have a recommended serving size. That can be half of what you normally eat.
I will ask my wife if she knows of any web sites that we can point you to. All I know is that half of our grocery budget is spent in the produce department. Lean meats, Chicken and fish. We have a salad with every meal, and I use Balsamic vinegar, and Extra Virgin Olive oils as a dressing with pepper.
We nuke or bake our potatoes and use yogurt instead of sour cream on them.
My wife said that she goes on the Food network .com. They usually have all sorts of receipes and will have a light alternative way of making the dish. The more you get into looking at ingredienst the more you will understand what is good and what is bad. It all depends on what you like to eat and the level of spice you like. We have found that when you get into Indian, and Asian cooking you can get into very nice tasting spices without the heat. If you like the heat the sky is the limit. Tai food is one example. They eat really hot and spicy food, and have you even seen a fat one?
I think you will have some fun now looking for healthy ways of eating.
There is no shortage of information about it. Heart disease is the biggest killer by far, and being over weight is the main contributor. I know it takes a while to realize you ar not invincible, and at your age it is usually an easy fix. The damage can be reversed very quickly.
I hope this helps.

Blaze
August 25th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I ve started a 1 hour a day exercice program + the 30 minutes fast walkin after supper (excellent for digestion and good sleep) few years ago ..
Been watchin carefully what i eat ..

Result i lost 15 pounds and never gained it back .. 120\80 cardio ..
I m 53 6'0 height 178 weight and i feel great and most important women like the look.. Hi! Hi!..

So the receipe is pretty simple ..just need consistency iday after day..

Beerman
August 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I ve started a 1 hour a day exercice program + the 30 minutes fast walkin after supper (excellent for digestion and good sleep) few years ago ..
Been watchin carefully what i eat ..

Result i lost 15 pounds and never gained it back .. 120\80 cardio ..
I m 53 6'0 height 178 weight and i feel great and most important women like the look.. Hi! Hi!..

So the receipe is pretty simple ..just need consistency iday after day..
Blaze, how long you been doing that? Sounds perfect except when it's 30 outside. I've got a NordicTrak and Bowflex at home and do 2 days at the gym (monotony kills) but after a year or so, it's hard to keep losing. I'm not overwieight, just at 53, and a real beer drinker (no lite stuff) I have to do 5 days but I've been told and found myself that the body gets use to the same thing after a while and needs a change. Swimming, bike riding, power walks all help if you can do it.

Robert
August 25th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I may be one of the skinniest guys on the Fret I guess, from all the running I do.

I find eating healthy is not hard or expensive. I do eat a lot of carbs, but basic stuff like porridge, peanut butter sandwiches, fruit, vegetables and I like chicken and lean meat. Potatoes, rice and pasta is staple foods too.

I hardly ever eat any deep fried foods.

My recipe for improving health is quite straight-forward:

Ditch all the dining out; cook your own food instead. Eating out is a sure way to get too many calories. The portions are usually too big, and there's usually too much fat and salt as well, that's how it is around here anyway.
Use fresh ingredients, which makes the food taste better and have more nutrition.
Read the labels on food - stay away from sugary cereal, fruit bars and such. There is far too much sugar in processed foods.
stay away from processed foods!
Make it simple. No need to follow some fancy recipe with 25 ingredients if you are having steak and potatoes! If the ingredients are fresh and you know how to cook them, it will [taste good.
Skip extra fats by avoiding things such as gravy, ice cream, cream in coffee, as well as cookies, desserts, etc - the extra sugar is not helping you.
Eat carrots, broccoli, beans, peas, etc - eat lots of it since it will make you feel more full, with less calories.
Exercise! walking, jogging, biking, skiing - those exercises that go on for at least half an hour at moderate intensity is best - less injury risk and you can do it again several times per week.

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I would like a supportive continued thread on this. Re: competitiveness, there should be none. What works for Robert in terms of diet is not what works for someone who works out or trains at a different level. One can follow Lance Armstrong's Tour diet, which I bet is healthy food. (I think there is a book out there from his trainer). But none of us are cycling the tour, so it is likely too much, or too many carbs, etc. Basic nutrition does not have to be hard, and I think we can all agree that cutting out processed foods, refined sugars, etc. is a good overall plan. But ping ponging from being a diet zealot and binger doesn't work either. Long term dietary changes, and changes in activity levels would be best. In the news this week, (on CNN anyway) they talk about some basic changes that really work for cholesterol levels. But it is really just simple stuff.

I guess what I am hoping for with this thread, after all that, is that we have a continuing thread supporting positive changes any of us are making, and allowing for check ins for those of us making changes. I for one try to eat generally healthfully and exercise regularly, but it is apparent that some additional changes are necessary for me to meet some goals. Therefore I hope to learn some strategies here to become more disciplined, and perhaps kick start the process. Many of us may approach things a bit differently and that should be respected. But to me, sharing in a supportive way helps.

Robert
August 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Just to clarify regarding my post, I didn't post my exact diet, since I eat way more carbs than most non-runners do. What my intention was with my post, was to give recommendations for a healthy and in so far it is possible - "general" diet.

I am supportive to everyone here, to 100%. :AOK

Let's stay healthy!

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I got what you meant Robert, and that was part of my point. With your level of running, and likewise a cyclist like Lance and what he does, more carbs are necessary. For most of us, it would be too much. I agree very much with the general info in your post. Though I do like to go out some now and again! :AOK

P.S. I don't run as much as you. I used to run a lot. Now I cycle mostly. But I think I need a bit more, or need to re-structure what I do as I age. Perhaps more intense, shorter workouts, include more weight training, etc. That and being just more disciplined (sugar, desserts, etc.) is what I need. I may enter fall, with all the good fresh veggies out there, trying to be a bit overzealous at first to get some results. I was thinking about getting a vita-mix and making juices and soups from mostly veggies to replace some meals, for example.