PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs to step down as CEO, remain as chairman of Board

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44264089/

His letter says he cannot completely fulfill his duties as CEO, and he has been on health leave for a while. I hope it goes ok for him.

of course there are some goofballs on FB making fun of him or saying "good riddance" (what the heck is wrong with people?). But regardless if you like Apple or its products, he has contributed a lot to tech over the years. I wish him the best.

Beerman
August 24th, 2011, 05:47 PM
You hate to read into things but it doesn't seem very good. However, there is a culture at Apple and I'm sure he's been leaving much of the day to day business to others for quite a while.
iPhone 5 is coming out soon so things can't be that bad.

marnold
August 24th, 2011, 05:52 PM
His health has been really weird for some time. If I were an Apple shareholder, this news would make me very nervous. Jobs seems to be the only one who has the "vision thing" down.

Eric
August 24th, 2011, 06:47 PM
His health has been really weird for some time. If I were an Apple shareholder, this news would make me very nervous. Jobs seems to be the only one who has the "vision thing" down.
Agreed. There must be a lot of very competent people at Apple for them to put out the products that they do, but when wielding the influence and power that they do, the direction for every subsequent step is very important. Jobs seems to be the one who has done a good job with that in the past. Not that I really care for Apple that much, but I hope he's doing okay.

stingx
August 24th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Tim's been acting CEO for quite some time since Steve's been ill. Apple will be just fine. Jobs is Chairman of the Board, by request, so he'll still be around anyway. You all witnessed serious history here, folks. Jobs took Apple from the brink where they were sinking fast and turned it into the most valuable tech company there is today. Say what you will about the guy but what he did is an incredible achievement.

Tig
August 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Health and family are everything. Without these, all the money and power in the world are meaningless.
I hope he gets better and lives a long and healthy life.

otaypanky
August 24th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I wish him well. From what little I know about him I think he's brilliant. I can only imagine a person like him would have a huge impact on the people close to him and leave a deep impression. I would think there are others who share a glimpse of his vision that will try and keep things rolling in the same direction.

poodlesrule
August 29th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Now that Steve has more time (I hope), he can adopt my iOrphan, also known as a PowerBook G4 (powered by a PPC chip).
It could be made to run Linux, a good thing, except that the boot stuff is proprietary, and hard to circumvent.

Seriously, I once saw SJ present the then brand-new NexT machine, and it was a trip!
He sure has a reputation for being on the weird side.

deeaa
August 29th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Loads of changes in the IT world today. Nokia switching to WinMobile, Jobs quitting, HP selling all its PC manufacturing...

Will be interesting for sure! I for one look forward to Nokia/MS phones, could be great. Apple I don't care of, not that I have anything against their products per se, it's their big brother mentality of making people use only the stuff and only the way they want that irks me to no end. And also ripping off people with insane prices for mediocre hardware while on it, making stupendous profits on unsuspecting people's account and blatant disregard for environmental issues and recycling etc...it just represents everything that is wrong with extreme capitalism to me and I want no part of it. I wonder why people aren't spray-paint attacking Apple users instead of people wearing fur.. :-)

deeaa
August 29th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Loads of changes in the IT world today. Nokia switching to WinMobile, Jobs quitting, HP selling all its PC manufacturing...

Will be interesting for sure! I for one look forward to Nokia/MS phones, could be great. Apple I don't care of, not that I have anything against their products per se, it's their big brother mentality of making people use only the stuff and only the way they want that irks me to no end. And also ripping off people with insane prices for mediocre hardware while on it, making stupendous profits on unsuspecting people's account and blatant disregard for environmental issues and recycling etc...it just represents everything that is wrong with extreme capitalism to me and I want no part of it. I wonder why people aren't spray-paint attacking Apple users instead of people wearing fur.. :-)

Tig
August 30th, 2011, 07:19 PM
it's their big brother mentality of making people use only the stuff and only the way they want that irks me to no end. And also ripping off people with insane prices for mediocre hardware while on it, making stupendous profits on unsuspecting people's account and blatant disregard for environmental issues and recycling etc...it just represents everything that is wrong with extreme capitalism to me and I want no part of it. I wonder why people aren't spray-paint attacking Apple users instead of people wearing fur.. :-)

:thumbsup