PDA

View Full Version : FREE gig Labor Day Eve, Sunday 9/4, Gainesville FL

Brian Krashpad
August 25th, 2011, 10:19 AM
If anyone's coming into town for the UF football game the day before, stick around and come to the downtown Bo Diddley Plaza Sunday evening. Five free bands of assorted genres!

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/314157_2302636688863_1337606563_2682972_7452246_n. jpg

Crash Pad go on at 6 p.m.

I expect I'll post pics here after the gig.

Brian Krashpad
August 29th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I don't expect anyone to listen to it, but fwiw, here's a link to a radio show that I did an interview for, about Crash Pad's next show, that aired tonight:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8297300/20110829%20Stripped.mp3

The show's about an hour long and I think start somewhere around 20 minutes in. Oh my gosh. I reckoned my friend Phred would cut my babbling down to like 5 minutes. He used almost our entire conversation! I'm just a guy in a band, for heaven's sake.

Oh and by the way both the radio show and our upcoming gig have a political component, so if you agree with, say, Sarah Palin, about anything, best not to listen.

Brian Krashpad
September 1st, 2011, 07:04 AM
Hai kids. In the newspaper today! And the pic is by my son Jack (14), his first rock shoot and he's published!

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20110901/ARTICLES/110839963/1006/NEWS?Title=Labor-Day-festival-celebrates-workers

Eric
September 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM
I listened to part of the interview before I got bored and went to do something else. I always think it's interesting to hear someone talk that you kind of know. There's so much more you can figure out about someone just from how they talk, if that makes sense.

Brian Krashpad
September 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
I listened to part of the interview before I got bored and went to do something else. I always think it's interesting to hear someone talk that you kind of know. There's so much more you can figure out about someone just from how they talk, if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. It's good to keep in mind how much we miss in interacting online only.

It's still kinda weird to hear my speaking voice on radio though. I've gotten used to hearing my singing voice, but speaking is a whole 'nother thing.

Brian Krashpad
September 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Had a REALLY good show on the "Bo Diddley Community Plaza" here in Gainesville Sunday night. We played one new song, 'Pink Slip Rick,' that we'd never done before, and despite that there are odd changes (timing-wise) there were no real noticeable screw-ups. We went on second after an acoustic duo, so we were able to backline before the event started and get a good sound check. We had a friend record video/audio off the board, and (I think) take stills. So I'll be able to augment this thread with some of that later (hope to get some audio up tonight).

Sunday morning, the day of the show, I went by my office and loaded up my small (2x12) rig, a rig for my rhythm guitarist, and my guitars. Then went off to play at church.

In church though, I went to tune my guitar with my new Snark (which had already busted) and the clip was there but no tuner part. Looked all over for it, and couldn't find the other part. Meanwhile, I get a text from my rhythm guitarist that he got a loaner rig. So after church, I go BACK to my office, unload the 2 small rigs I had for myself and the other guy, and load up my halfstack instead. A pain, but I know that the halfstack will sound better outdoors.

Fortunately there is a music store a couple miles from my office that was open til 2 p.m., so I went and bought a damn new Snark. But at the show the second new one didn't work because it was too bright out to see the read-out. Fortunately I had a backup tuner for the show. Tuned up all the guitars beforehand, including the rhythm guitarist's. Incredibly the guitars stayed in tune despite it being REALLY hot and humid.

For lyric cheats, I had a new idea. I took the paper pad out of a pocket planner type thingy (about an inch and half wide, by 4 or 5 long, and wrote the lyric to each song on one page. Then I taped the thing to my mic stand. It was barely noticeable, and definitely not identifiable as a lyric cheat sheet. As I finished each song, I took the top sheet and pulled it off. It worked a charm! When we got to the closer, though, I was pretty beat,and forgot to take the sheet for the penultimate song off. However, I had a backup in my usual cheat notebook on the stage, hidden by the monitor. The closer was one I wrote a long time ago and recently brought back, so it was no problem.

We got a really good reception and I did the usual idiotic stuff, including playing behind my head. The kids did a lie-down during the closer, which was fun. Had a great time, ran into some friends who gave me a free t-shirt for their internet radio station (Anarchy-1!), and also may've got Crash Pad a slot (on the alternate list, which was how my side band Pedagogy ended up playing there last year) at Boo-Fest, which is a big 3-day party out in the woods that's tons of fun.

All in all, despite my tuner woes, it was a great day. I should be able to get an mp3 of the closer posted tonight. Have a couple tame pics taken by a friend of a friend, and will have more, hopefully of the more silly parts, eventually.

For now, here's all I got for live pics. First up is me and Joel "Crank" Schrank, all the guitars in the pic (including bass) are mine:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/310466_10150265302921370_512411369_7996001_6711926 _n.jpg

The kid in the background is my drummer in First Things First, the band I play in at my church:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/304276_10150265302401370_512411369_7995996_6660465 _n.jpg

As ever, your comments on my poseritude are encouraged.

Katastrophe
September 6th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Cool hearing your voice, Brian! Cool poster, too, except The Root Doctors apparently play a new style called "ROOTS ROOK." (LOL) I'm also diggin' the pic of you reaching for the high note on the LP with Bo Diddley in the backround.

I didn't hear anything terribly political in the interview... Maybe I missed it???

Brian Krashpad
September 6th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Cool hearing your voice, Brian! Cool poster, too, except The Root Doctors apparently play a new style called "ROOTS ROOK." (LOL)

Haha! I'd looked at that tons of times without ever noticing that. But when I magnified it, sure enough, you're right!

I'm also diggin' the pic of you reaching for the high note on the LP with Bo Diddley in the background.

Thanks, I'm so glad the City named that space after him. It makes me proud to play there. This performance was the 5th or 6th time I've played there over the years (some of them before it was named as present), and I've always had a good time at those shows.

I didn't hear anything terribly political in the interview... Maybe I missed it???

Hmm, it's been awhile since I heard it, I think I came down pretty hard on local developers Ken and Linda McGurn. In fact iirc I called their plans for our downtown "evil," haha. I'm pretty sure I made mention of my distaste for the Florida Governor and his cronies as well.

Eric
September 6th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I'm glad it turned out well. Those photos look familiar -- did you play a show at that same stage earlier this summer, maybe for some praise concert or something?

Brian Krashpad
September 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I'm glad it turned out well. Those photos look familiar -- did you play a show at that same stage earlier this summer, maybe for some praise concert or something?

Yeah, First Things First played there a few months ago. It's right in the center of town, next to the courthouse, a block from the library and the state theater, and surrounded by the downtown entertainment district.

Brian Krashpad
September 7th, 2011, 10:13 AM
If anyone is brave enough to listen, the closer from our set is now up on our new Crash Pad myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/crashpadband/music/songs/buffy-39-s-dead-84033571

If that link doesn't work, go to

http://www.myspace.com/crashpadband

and click on "Buffy's Dead" in the music player. Warning- the first minute is a meandering explanation of the song's subject matter, before the song actually starts. Mildly amusing if you want some backstory, but feel to skip ahead to the rawk (and inevitably overlong "epic" solos).

Brian Krashpad
September 7th, 2011, 07:48 PM
malfunction disregard