PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Setup Like?

stingx
November 27th, 2006, 06:09 AM
I always have interest in what others use to derive their sounds. I love the subtle, and not so subtle, differences. I have a very modest setup at home that does just what I need to get what is in my head out and onto media. I add to it now and again but the heart of it remains the same, for the most part. Here's a little visual illustration of my PC DAW setup. I don't have reference to any of my midi equipment or portable 8-track on it. This is strictly PC recording.

My PC Recording Setup (http://www.stubble.org/misc/stingx_rig.jpg)

- Pete

tot_Ou_tard
November 27th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Pete,

What do you think of the Art tube pre?

stingx
November 27th, 2006, 06:52 AM
I think for the price I got it for, under $60 USD, it was worth it. I wouldn't spend too much $$$ on it. It does an excellent job on vocals but you have to be careful with it because it is very easy to introduce noise into the mix from it. Still, it has proven to be very useful.

tot_Ou_tard
November 27th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Why do you have it between your POD & firewire box? Are you trying to warm up the signal with a little tubey glow?

Lev
November 27th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Nice setup Pete!
How do you find the Line6 shortboard with the PODxt? I kinda thought I didn't really need one coz I use the POD only for recording so don't necessarily need a hands free operation. Do you think it gives extra flexibility?

Also what do you use to record bass (if you do)? I know there's some VST bass plug ins that can be used with cubase but I'm toying with the idea of buying a cheap bass to spice up my recordings.

stingx
November 27th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Why do you have it between your POD & firewire box? Are you trying to warm up the signal with a little tubey glow?

Yup, exactly. It does add some warmth.

stingx
November 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Nice setup Pete!
How do you find the Line6 shortboard with the PODxt? I kinda thought I didn't really need one coz I use the POD only for recording so don't necessarily need a hands free operation. Do you think it gives extra flexibility?

Also what do you use to record bass (if you do)? I know there's some VST bass plug ins that can be used with cubase but I'm toying with the idea of buying a cheap bass to spice up my recordings.

The shortboard is a great tool to have with the XT. I actually prefer having the floorboard separate from the bean. This keeps the heart protected from spills, etc. Even though the Live wasn't offered when I bought my XT, I would still go this route as I don't like having the entire unit+brain on the floor.

tot_Ou_tard
November 27th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I have also heard of people placing a valvulator there for the same reason.

Riley
January 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM
If I use my amp, I have an SM57 mic going into Line6 Toneport interface USB'ed into my Laptop. I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 or Samplitude 7.0 for my software. If I don't mic my amp I use Line6 TonePort Gearbox. :)

Robert
January 10th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I use my amps, SM57 and Tascam US-122. I use Cubase 2 to edit.

FrankAxtell
January 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Gear I use in my home studio....

82 Fender strat with 62 pickups,
San Dimas Charvel strat,
Gibson ES 775 archtop
70's Gibson Les Paul Custom.
Taylor BZ 714
2006 Gibson ES 335

For amps I use
Fender Vibro King,
1970's Marshall JMP 50 with
Old Marshall 1970 4x12 Slant Cab with 25 watt Celestion greenbacks
Peavey 5150,
66 and 65 Fender Blackfaced Super Reverb amps.
Mesa Boogie Triaxis and Stereo Simul-Class 2:ninety
2 ADA 2x12 cabs with 25 watt Celestions greenbacks
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Peavey Special 130

Pedals
Xotic BB preamp
Xotic RC booster
TS9 Tube screamer
Maxon OD9
Electro Harmonix memoryman
Arion SC-1 chorus
Carl Martin compressor

for recording
Apple Dual 2.7 Ghz G5
Apple MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz 17"
Logic Pro 7 (all mixing and effects are done in Logic)
Logic Express
Presonus Firepod
Motu Micro Lite
Mackie HR 824 monitors

As far as production goes every thing is recorded and mixed in Logic Pro 7. I sometimes sequence the drums from scratch or I use Apple jam packs which are pre recorded sampled drums. All other instruments I play live. Logic offers great keyboard and instrument sounds which I access using my keyboard controller.

Lev
January 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Wow, amazing gear collection Frank. Now I understand how your recordings sound so polished.

sunvalleylaw
January 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I am really interested in your recording via Macs. Those are the machines I have. Can you refer me to a good reference for learning the practical tricks besides the stuff on Apple's site? Something like the Missing Manual , or Dummies series?

SuperSwede
January 12th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I am really interested in your recording via Macs. Those are the machines I have. Can you refer me to a good reference for learning the practical tricks besides the stuff on Apple's site? Something like the Missing Manual , or Dummies series?

http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/
http://www.macjams.com/
http://macs.about.com/cs/ilife/a/garageband_link.htm

Something to get you started... The Macintosh is a beautiful platform for music production!!!

sunvalleylaw
January 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks Swede for the links!

Justaguyin_nc
January 16th, 2007, 04:27 PM
As simple as I am... Guitar into pedals.. pedals into Crate PowerBlock which sits right on the desk within reach... powerblock into computers Audigy card... Audigy into Audacity (Not pretty but free and easy on any platform.. now using it on Windows and Linux) or sometimes CoolEdit(Adobe Audition) ... cheap and easy.. its all thats needed for me..

oldguy
January 20th, 2007, 05:02 AM
(Similar to Justa's)-- Guitar--RP-250--pedals as needed--USB into 'puter(windows)--Audacity.

stingx
January 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Check out this piece of software:

Motu Digital Performer (http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/)

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/features50/images/dp5g5small.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
March 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
I've got the the art tube pre (thanks Spud for the $30 MF Stoopid deal heads up) but I'm a bit confused about how it works.

It has an input level & an output level.

My guess is that the the input level controls a solid state gain stage & the the output level controls the gain through the tube.

But I'm equally convinced that I've got it backwards. The manual is no help at all.

The magic 8-eight ball sez: I dunno, ask The Fret.

Spudman
March 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
tOt

I can't remember which model they were selling. If yours has the dial to select different characteristics of preamp voicing you are walking down Cool Street.

This unit should go between your mic/guitar and your recorder input. Bring the input gain on the unit up so that the average signal level puts the meter near zero. Then bring up the output gain and monitor your recorded input level via your software if possible. That's all there is to it.

If you have different voice modes be careful when switching between them because some of the output levels will be higher than you might have planned for. You don't want to clip your software, but clipping the input on the preamp unit might yield some nice soft distortion that smooths out a signal.

tot_Ou_tard
March 4th, 2007, 08:08 AM
tOt

I can't remember which model they were selling. If yours has the dial to select different characteristics of preamp voicing you are walking down Cool Street.

This unit should go between your mic/guitar and your recorder input. Bring the input gain on the unit up so that the average signal level puts the meter near zero. Then bring up the output gain and monitor your recorded input level via your software if possible. That's all there is to it.

Thanks Spud, mine is the MP Studio (no voicing dial). I'm not using it to record. I presently have it between my Tonelab & my mixer for headphones practice. I use the mixer to mix in a signal from a CD for playing with.

I'm currently using the XLR out from the tube pre into the mic preamp on the mixer. I dunno if I should do that or use the 1/4" jack. The manual sez 0dB on the VU meter means +6dBu at the 1/4" output & +12dBu at the XLR output.

Is the idea is to use the input gain knob as the main control of gain & just tweak things with the output gain knob?

I can get the same readings on the VU meter with the input gain cranked and the output gain completely counterclockwise, or the reverse of that, or with both dials at about 12:00. What is the difference between these settings?

I use the mixer to mix in a CD signal to play with. I've also tried it just before the Tonelab.

Spudman
March 4th, 2007, 10:49 AM
tOt
Does your mixer have an input level indicator? An led?

If it does then set your input level on the Tube MP so that the meter is at optimum (zero) and set the MP's output at 12:00. Next turn down the input gain on the mixer (not the channel fader) all the way (no input). Next, as you play something through the Tube MP start turning up the mixer's input gain knob until the led gets an optimum reading. If you have to turn this knob to a fully open position go back and increase the Tube MP output to 2:00 and start the mixer input process over.

This should give you a clean undistorted signal to your mixer. Fine tune from there if needed. You don't want to constantly peak the mixer input.

tot_Ou_tard
March 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM
tOt
Does your mixer have an input level indicator? An led?

If it does then set your input level on the Tube MP so that the meter is at optimum (zero) and set the MP's output at 12:00. Next turn down the input gain on the mixer (not the channel fader) all the way (no input). Next, as you play something through the Tube MP start turning up the mixer's input gain knob until the led gets an optimum reading. If you have to turn this knob to a fully open position go back and increase the Tube MP output to 2:00 and start the mixer input process over.

This should give you a clean undistorted signal to your mixer. Fine tune from there if needed. You don't want to constantly peak the mixer input.
Wow, thanks Skyrocker!

Jimi75
March 5th, 2007, 08:53 AM
My setup consist of an Pentium 4 PC, 3.0 GHz, 512MBRam and two active studio monitors - no name product with a very good overall sound. They cover the whole spectrum and are very small.

For recording I use Magix Musik Maker 2004 plus other software to create drums patterns (NI Battery I), Editrol Hyper Canvas (Bass and Keyboards) and East West Quatnum Leap Symphonic Orchestra (violins etc).

Casio (do not know which model) MIDI compatible keyboard to play the a.m.

Before I plugged my Flextone I and III directly into my Creative soundcard.

Since I bought the Line 6 Toneport UX1 I only use the Tonport and the Gearbox software, for guitars, vocals and basses.

That's it.

R_of_G
May 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I am currently going from my amp [Vox AD15VT] out to an MAudio FastTrack into the USB on my G4 laptop into GarageBand. I'd describe the sound output from that as "acceptable." It definitely could use tweaking in ProTools, or another pro audio platform, but as I am recording exclusively to listen back to my own playing to hear what I like and what I don't, the sound is fine. Were I to ever seek to record for anyone to listen to as more than an intentionally DIY-sounding demo, I'd get myself some better mixing software and tweak the finished product.