PDA

View Full Version : I wish I could fast forward a few days...

stingx
August 26th, 2011, 01:27 PM
and have all this IRENE news be gone. Yes! It's a friggin' hurricane - wind, rain, flooding in low lying areas. We've gotten them before. I remember a whole lot from childhood to now. Am I the only one who hates how the media hypes every event? I don't remember it being this bad when I was younger. Then again, I was out drinking and getting laid so I prolly didn't notice...

piebaldpython
August 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
No..it's just that we in the DelVal usually experience the remnants of hurricanes...after they've done their damage down South. Very rare is the times when we get the WINDS associated with hurricanes. Yeah, gonna be a real mess.

First time that I ever recall a mandatory evacuation of ALL the shore-towns from Cape May to Long Beach Island.

Yeah, I wish is was Monday already too!!!

Beerman
August 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I think the media is blowing this up a bit too much but the fact is, it's going to cover so much area, someone is going to get the absolute worst of it.....just don't know who it will be.
In Jersey and Philly, I think the worst will be some flooding but loss of power. Maybe some tornadoes.
As someone who's been thru too many (no 2 are alike), if power goes out, start cooking stuff in the freezer and save the canned stuff for later.
Each hurricane season....for us it's from June 1 to November 30......I take video and stills of my home and office even in closets and drawers. If you need to make an insurance claim, you have proof and since they'll make you list what you lost, it's easier to remember what you have. At least the big things.
Best of luck to you all. My thoughts and prayers are with all in harms way.

piebaldpython
August 26th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the advice from an old pro at this hurricane game. My wife was just watching the news and the Gov of NJ was on, talking about people delaying leaving. He said, "People, your tan is as good as it's going to get, leave". lol

The police chief of Ocean City NJ (a town that floods with a good, hard rain) was more succinct and terse. He said that if people refuse to leave, that they will not be guaranteed rescue in the middle of the storm. He said for them to use indelible marker on a 3x5 card with their name/address and who to contact. He said for them to put the card in their left shoe (tie-up shoes, no loafers) in case they have to identify the body. lol

Tig
August 26th, 2011, 11:59 PM
The post hurricane humidity can be a be-otch. The big high pressure that has been sitting over Texas will likely move East and crank up the temperatures. Throw in all that rain-soaked ground and it will feel like a wet sauna. I hope youse guys don't loose power for long.

Hopefully the landfall over the Carolina's will knock down the winds, but there will still be plenty of rain and storm surge.

Here's a really cool interactive hurricane map. Be sure to enable the Forecast Models in the upper right, and use the Zoom in the upper left.
http://www.stormpulse.com/

piebaldpython
August 27th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Actually, Monday through Thursday are supposed to be really nice....low 80s, low humidity. At this moment, they are calling for Irene to be slightly off-shore when she gets here. The track has been wobbly and every 20 miles help. We know a bunch of people who either live down the Shore year round or who have second homes there.

otaypanky
August 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
We just bought a house in eastern Virginia and had the closing yesterday. It's on a creek off of the Rappahannock River which runs in to the Chesapeake Bay. We stayed over last night and awakened to some heavy rain and winds, but the storm was still a good ways off to the south of us. We decided to head out today and there were lots of limbs down in the roads. My sister in law's farm is next to our property and my wife just got a text message from her saying they've had nearly 8" of rain and they're sitting in the old farm house in the dark, the power has been out for hours. They can hear tree limbs cracking and breaking and it's kind of spooky right now. I'm glad to be back here in Pa now, but I hope our new place is still there in the am

Tig
August 27th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Congratulations on the new house, Bob! There is some beautiful country in Virginia.
Good thing you got out. Once a storm gets mean like it did, you're stuck.

deeaa
August 28th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Gee thanks, I just sprayed my coffee on my keyb as I saw your new avatar Tig...LOL

stingx
August 28th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Congrats on the new digs. You should be fine by now as Irene's eye is farther north and will be centered over NYC in a very short while.

otaypanky
August 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Hey thanks guys ~ we're waiting to hear from my sis in law how things went. Hey, just got her email (talk about timing) and there's just some siding moved out of place and some trees down on the road in. Here's a pic of the house
Here in Pa we woke up to one big half up-rooted tree that's caught in another tree, so that's going to be a challenge to get it down. Otherwise we made out pretty well. I hope everyone else in Irene's path did too. Sadly, they reported 10 deaths on the news including a couple of young children

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/597a3841.jpg

marnold
August 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
A hurricane in transit is no laughing matter, but I did think of this potential headline, "Irene Strikes 'Jersey Shore' Home, Causes $750,000 in Improvements."

R_of_G
August 28th, 2011, 11:23 AM
A hurricane in transit is no laughing matter, but I did think of this potential headline, "Irene Strikes 'Jersey Shore' Home, Causes $750,000 in Improvements."

I'd be lying if I said similar thoughts didn't cross my mind. Let's just say I didn't wish any harm on the people, as low class as they are, but I wouldn't have cried if their house got leveled.

piebaldpython
August 28th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Well, Marnold.........I'm Philly born and bred.....and Italian to boot.....and I couldn't agree more. Every time I see a headline with anyone associated with that show, I just GROAN. Talk about perpetuating a stereotype. UGH!!

stingx
August 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Wow! That Irene was a thirsty b|tch! Glad she's gone. All is as all was. Hope everyone else in her wake fared well.

R_of_G
August 28th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Well, Marnold.........I'm Philly born and bred.....and Italian to boot.....and I couldn't agree more. Every time I see a headline with anyone associated with that show, I just GROAN. Talk about perpetuating a stereotype. UGH!!

Though I'm not of Italian descent, I am from New Jersey and until that show became popular I used to be proud of saying that. It used be the home of Springsteen, now it's the home of Snooki.

Tig
August 28th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Gee thanks, I just sprayed my coffee on my keyb as I saw your new avatar Tig...LOL

:happy That's one of those funny old photos that have been bouncing around the interwebz for awhile.