PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, R_of_G!

Tig
August 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM
May it be full of fun times and great music!

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_bouncy.gif :hbday :happyb http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/party.gif
:rar

Spudman
August 27th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Happiest of days to you.:dance

Thanks for all the musical insights here on the forum.

Katastrophe
August 27th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Happy birthday!

Eric
August 27th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Wow, birthday on a Saturday -- good day for a party! Happy birthday!

R_of_G
August 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks a lot guys!

Been a quiet but good birthday so far spent with family.

I continued my birthday tradition and listened to some Sonny Sharrock and some Lester Young who both share today as a birthday.

Have had the acoustic guitar at hand pretty much throughout the day while I've sat around watching a mixture of baseball and hurricane coverage.

Pretty sure I figured out the correct chord changes to Steve Earle's "Waitin' On the Sky" not that it's the most difficult song to play as it only has three chords but still, figuring out chord changes by ear has never been a specialty of mine. I can pick out melodies much more easily than I can identify chord changes (more on that momentarily) so I'm proud of myself for this one. At least it sounded right when I played it along with Steve Earle videos. I highly recommend playing along with the version he played for the NPR Tiny Desk concert because in that one he plays mandolin so you can be the guitar player accompanyist. Then again, doing it as a two guitar version was fun too.

As for the afforementioned melody picking, I felt compelled earlier to figure out Neil's "Like a Hurricane" so I did. When I first started playing, that was one my friends and I played often but I couldn't play leads then. Perhaps it's time to revisit that one with that group of friends.

Oh, and I got a new Darrelle Revis jersey (the green one) in time for football season. J-E-T-S and such.

Thanks again for the birthday wishes guys. This forum is a great place for information and music but most of all it's a community of really great people and I'm proud to be one of you.

FrankenFretter
August 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Happy birthday, brother! Sounds like you're having a good one!

piebaldpython
August 28th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Happy B-day to ya and good luck to your JETS this year. They can't be all that bad.....they do have a shade of GREEN in their jerseys. lol

marnold
August 28th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Belated Happy Birthday!

R_of_G
August 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Happy B-day to ya and good luck to your JETS this year. They can't be all that bad.....they do have a shade of GREEN in their jerseys. lol

Our out-of-conference schedule is against the NFC East this year so we'll get some nice smack talk going the week of the Jets/Eagles game. :)

sunvalleylaw
August 29th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Happy birthday! I was out of town so I missed it. Hope it was great!

R_of_G
August 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks Steve. It was a very good birthday. Nice and peaceful and quiet, other than my own guitar playing. The only thing that was missing was the Jets/Giants game which was postponed by the storm but now it's tonight so I'm looking forward to that.