PDA

View Full Version : One-Spot adapter busted... should I get a new one?

Robert
September 1st, 2011, 08:51 AM
Or should I abandon the One-Spot for a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 or similar? Recommendations?

How it broke? I tore off the power supply while hauling gear.

marnold
September 1st, 2011, 11:32 AM
If it was meeting your needs then I don't see a need to change. My One-Spot has served me well, but I don't gig either.

I'm pretty sure that that particular thing is not covered under warranty :)

guitartango
September 1st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Or should I abandon the One-Spot for a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 or similar? Recommendations?

How it broke? I tore off the power supply while hauling gear.

Voodoo lab would be my choice but look at the price of it compared to the One-spot.

duhvoodooman
September 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
If you don't mind spending the extra $$, one of the power "bricks" gives you more available juice, additional voltage levels (some of them), and better isolation/regulation/filtering of the outputs. The Voodoo Lab products are great, but pricey. Similar bricks are available from T-Rex, Dunlop and (the one I have) Gator (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gator-g-bus-8-us-pedal-board-power-supply/546042000000000), a relative bargain at $95.

Eric
September 1st, 2011, 03:00 PM
I'm with Marnold here. I actually have a DC Brick (pretty much the same as a 1Spot, but just older and configured differently) on my board, but that's mostly because it's a little easier to route the wires for me. I considered a PP2 because they're all the rage and fit so nicely on pedaltrain boards, but in the end I realized that I don't have noise problems, so it didn't make sense to buy one. So I doubt you'd be disappointed if you bought a Voodoo Labs unit, but if you're not dissatisfied with the 1Spot, just get another one for $20.

If you do decide to get one, I'll add on to DVM's list that there's the BBE Supa-Charger and Modtone Power Plant that are cheaper and better, respectively, than the PP2 and do the exact same thing.

Robert
September 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM
Eric, how are those mention better than the PP2?

Eric
September 1st, 2011, 03:18 PM
I think the BBE is the same but about $25 cheaper. Not sure about the specifics on the Modtone -- I just heard or read a couple of people saying it's actually a little better than the Voodoo Labs one. I think it's the same price or maybe $5 cheaper. I've also read some stuff from the Voodoo Labs company guy that makes me not want to buy their products, but it's an individual decision for everyone.

Which direction are you leaning?

Robert
September 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM
I dunno yet. Would be nice to mount a pp2 under my pedaltrain...

bcdon
September 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
I like my 1spot, but I don't use it on my Boss RC-3 because it doesn't have enough filtering and you can hear the RC-3's digital clocking when pressing buttons. If you've never had any noise issue, buy another or just solder the cable back on.

otaypanky
October 22nd, 2011, 11:58 PM
PedalTrain is coming out with their own power supply. It may be out already
Playing at home I don't use pedals, but I will occasionally when playing out. I have an SKB powered board that's nice but it's large.
Last year I grabbed a small Gator board that came with a power supply and a soft carry case for about $120.
It's probably the one DVM mentioned. It's got three 18V outlets as well as eight 9V. It's probably not comparable in quality to some of the other pricier stuff out there but for the price I thought it was a great buy

deeaa
October 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
I'm a sticker for things that simply work, so I would not look to get anything else than a new 1-spot unless there were problems with the old one. They are cheap and very good. Unless you need more filtering or something specific, I would not bother.

Reminds me that I should probably look into getting one of those surge protected extension cords for my amph at the facility. Been thinking about that maybe being sensible for a looong time.

Tomorrow is the delivery day of the JVM head...can't wait to get to tinkering with that beast!