PDA

View Full Version : NGD - 60's Tribute LP w/ P-90's

progrmr
September 2nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
I've been considering a "real" Gibson les paul for quite a while but could never get over the price tag. So flush with extra gear for trading (can't seem to sell squat on CL these days!) and the Guitar Center labor day sale I decided it was the best time to get in for a good price.

I wanted one of the LP Studio's worn brown but of course they sold their last one last night...great...well this was my 2nd choice. I had to play a few of them to find a really good one. The instruments were very different from each other - I suppose this is the result of the hand made or whatever of the process is still handmade. It also has a limited amount of "relicing"...man that's just stupid and I looked at a white that had a whole big section of it where your arm drapes over the body...just stupid IMO.

Anyway the setup is outstanding and the tone is freakin' awesome. The P-90's are a bit noisy but man there is a thick tone that falls right between humbucker and single coil goodness. Very nice tone and the neck plays great. I think the neck is really where you get the difference between the Epi's/Agile's vs. the extra $$$ for the Gibson. It just feels good.

Although that white one I played DID NOT feel good lol! And the fretboard looked to be very dry.

So here she is:

http://www.daverancour.com/gibson/60lp1.jpg

http://www.daverancour.com/gibson/60lp2.jpg

http://www.daverancour.com/gibson/60lp3.jpg

NWBasser
September 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
Very nice!

I really liked the worn brown one too. The one I tried was nearly effortless to play.

But, that one looks really sweet. I have to agree that the necks and fretwork are very good.

Congrats on the new guitar and good deal!

mapka
September 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Congrats on your new LP. Love P-90s!

bcdon
September 2nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Awesome! I love P-90s. I don't find them too noisy at all -- hell, this is rock & roll baby! -- I love the way they growl. :dude

Tig
September 2nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
HNGD!
I could easily see buying that. Very nice! :thumbsup

You are correct about how the quality and sound can vary from one guitar to the next. That is a risk we take when buying online, so trying and buying in person is usually the best way to get something great. I've even compared like guitars by closing my eyes with each one... just feeling and listening.

Tig
September 2nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Awesome! I love P-90s. I don't find them too noisy at all -- hell, this is rock & roll baby! -- I love the way they growl. :dude

It's been said that at home the P90 hum is bothersome. At a gig no one will hear it, even between songs.

bcdon
September 2nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
It's been said that at home the P90 hum is bothersome. At a gig no one will hear it, even between songs.

I play at home and don't find the hum too annoying. True, when I really crank the gain up on my boggie it is much nosier (especially if I get crazy and kick in my MXR full-bore metal pedal on the extreme channel) but, it's all good!

Congrats again! Perfect gift for yourself on a long weekend.

Eric
September 2nd, 2011, 05:38 PM
Cool. As long as it's a guitar you like, it's a HNGD. Hope you have fun with it!

progrmr
September 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks all - just got done playing it and it's just sweet. Definitely the right buy for a 3-day weekend. Got a big fat Stevie Ray Vaughan book too.

Now...how do I blow off labor day festivities with others so I can spend with my new girl?? :)

otaypanky
September 2nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Good score !
I have the 50's version and it's my 'go to' guitar. I just love it ~
Enjoy :)

ZMAN
September 5th, 2011, 06:55 AM
What do they call that color? I had a regular studio in Fireburst, and it looked just like the 3 color burst that Fender has. The black carried over to the back of the guitar and neck.
Does it have a red back?
Are those chambered? I have two p90 guitars and the Gibson is the least noisey of the two. I use the middle position, with the volume controls matched to cancel the hum.
Any high gain amps just make it worse.

progrmr
September 5th, 2011, 09:19 AM
The color is worn honey burst, it's got a red back and it's a chambered mahogany body.

Love the 60's neck and weight. Comfortable to play for sure.

mapka
September 5th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I have two p90 guitars and the Gibson is the least noisey of the two. I use the middle position, with the volume controls matched to cancel the hum.
Any high gain amps just make it worse.

I have an SG with P90s and right after I bought it I took it to my luthier and he reversed the polarity on one pup (I think that is what he said) and as Zman said if you put the selector in the mid position and have both volumes the same, it cancels out the hum.

ZMAN
September 5th, 2011, 11:39 AM
The color is worn honey burst, it's got a red back and it's a chambered mahogany body.

Love the 60's neck and weight. Comfortable to play for sure.
I have several Gibsons from original 50s "baseball bat" to 60s slim taper. I prefer the 60s neck, but my standard is some where in between and I think that is the most comfortable.
I have a Classic with the 60s neck and chambered body, and my studio was chambered and I really like the tone from them.
And of course the weight. Really a pleasure to play.

Katastrophe
September 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Congrats! That is a gorgeous guitar. How does it compare to your Trade Tang guitar?

progrmr
September 5th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I knew this question was coming.

The real Gibson sounds way better. But that is real ebony on the trade tang neck and it just feels smoother than the rosewood on the Gibson.

String spacing on the the gibsun is a smidge wider too.

Now I landed the Gibson for $571 after my trades and discount. Normally it's $849 + tax as I'd never order something that expensive online so we'll call it $900. I have $450 in the gibsun. Is the real Gibson 2X better?

No. I don't feel dirty looking at the headstock in the true Gibson, but the trade tang gibsun is a pleasure to play.

My 0.02.

ZMAN
September 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Funny you mentioned that. I have several Gibson Les pauls and Sgs and also an ES335. Yet I find I really like my Agile 3125 to play better than any of them, except maybe my Gibson SG. It is quite an amazing guitar period. Not just "for the money". This is my first Ebony board and I really like it.

NWBasser
September 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Funny you mentioned that. I have several Gibson Les pauls and Sgs and also an ES335. Yet I find I really like my Agile 3125 to play better than any of them, except maybe my Gibson SG. It is quite an amazing guitar period. Not just "for the money". This is my first Ebony board and I really like it.

Yeah Z, I actually like playing Frankenfretter's Agiles more than some of the Gibson's I've tried.

Gotta get me one of those Agiles.

hubberjub
September 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM
That's a great looking guitar. Congratulations.