PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones

Robert
September 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Starting reading this book. Very good if you like Lord of the Rings stuff!

The HBO tv show is really good too. Follows the books closely.

Anyone else digging this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfAE3hIaPm4

deeaa
September 6th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I watched it some, like a few episodes, but it kinda failed to catch my interest. It's likely because I just don't usually dig stuff that feels too mystical or, you know, dragons or deities, whatever, or superpowers etc.

If it has anything about magical issues, or people with extraordinary powers (I never understood the appeal of Marvel characters either) I find it difficult to relate to, as I know anything but tangible is imagination, and it bothers me enough to keep me from enjoying it much. I can tolerate a zombie etc. or maybe even a vampire if well done, but when you start having many of those in the same context, well it just becomes too obviously faery-taleish to really enjoy. You know, I get a feeling of why didn't they throw in Santa Claus as well while at it :-)

The Rings I do like, because I read it as a child and it has a special place in my mind due to that...but by and large, I go more for just dystopian type stuff and more realistic stuff. The series 'Tudors' was a little similar to Game of Thrones it seems to me, but real, and that I liked a lot more.

Tig
September 6th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I watched every episode and enjoyed the first year. I'd put it in the top 3 series for 2011.
It is much more reality based than Lord of the Rings, however. It is closer in feel to the movie "Gladiator" and the recent "Robin Hood".

It is not for kids, however!

Beerman
September 6th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I enjoyed the HBO series very much but decided on not reading the books until HBO stops the series. From what I've heard and read the show is very close to the book so I'll wait and see how long they keep it going.

Katastrophe
September 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM
One helluva show! Every time I ended an episode, I'd have to watch another. It's highly addicting.

Spudman
September 6th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Okay, now you guys have me curious. If I didn't have a dvr I'd never consider it because I don't have much time that I want to sit and watch TV.