PDA

View Full Version : YIKES! A live Crash Pad song with no overdubs!

Brian Krashpad
September 7th, 2011, 10:18 AM
If anyone is brave enough to listen, the closer from our set at the Labor Daze Fest this last weekend is now up on our new Crash Pad myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/crashpadband/music/songs/buffy-39-s-dead-84033571

If that link doesn't work, go to

http://www.myspace.com/crashpadband

and click on "Buffy's Dead" in the music player. Warning- the first minute is a meandering explanation of the song's subject matter, before the song actually starts. Mildly amusing if you want some backstory, but feel to skip ahead to the rawk (and inevitably overlong "epic" solos). The drummer manages to muff not only the start but the end also, though I think in retrospect we covered pretty well.

All comments and criticisms welcome, as always.

mapka
September 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
:thumbsup :rockya

Eric
September 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I listened to it earlier when you mentioned it in the other thread. Sounds good, and that's some nice guitar work, Krash.

sunvalleylaw
September 7th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Coolio! I liked it. But Sissy and Jody are still among the living, to correct the pre-song banter. ;)

Spudman
September 7th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Pretty cool BK. Thanks for posting that.:dude

Robert
September 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Rock'n roll baby! I like it like that!

deeaa
September 7th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Cool! I didn't know you played punk-rock! Kudos! Always loved ramones and this could be some of theirs, pretty much.

Brian Krashpad
September 8th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Coolio! I liked it. But Sissy and Jody are still among the living, to correct the pre-song banter. ;)

The song doesn't mention Sissy. As for Jody, I did mention that if they didn't die "I killed them off for the purposes of the song, so just play along."

;):socool

Brian Krashpad
September 8th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Cool! I didn't know you played punk-rock! Kudos! Always loved ramones and this could be some of theirs, pretty much.

Yeah, thanks, in Crash Pad it's old school punk rock and roll. Roots rock, pop rock and praise music in other bands. Obviously i'm a big Ramones fan, though I have a couple that're even more Ramonesy.

sunvalleylaw
September 8th, 2011, 07:26 AM
The song doesn't mention Sissy. As for Jody, I did mention that if they didn't die "I killed them off for the purposes of the song, so just play along."

;):socool

:thumbsup

Brian Krashpad
September 8th, 2011, 08:48 AM
:thumbsup

Btw the Jody thing was intentional. By the mid-'70's there were rumors about just about every male child TV star (I can specifically remember including the kid from "Lost In Space" and various kids from "Leave It To Beaver") that they had been drafted and died in Viet Nam, so I was riffing on that even though I knew it wasn't true.

Sick sense of humor, I know.

Robert
September 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Did you sing lead vocals on this one, Brian?

Brian Krashpad
September 8th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Did you sing lead vocals on this one, Brian?

Yeah, that's me on lead vocals. Although in the past with different personnel I've had others sing lead on a few songs per set, in the current version of Crash Pad I sing all the lead. I'd experimented with letting my rhythm guitarist sing on one song (he really liked one song in particular, but it was about a friend of mine who died in a plane crash, so it was actually kinda inappropriate for anyone but me to sing it; eventually, after having him sing it for 4 or 5 shows I took it back-- he's still a bit in the "mic fright" stage and doesn't project the way he needs to, especially for a punk singer).

I'm very happy with how the lead vox came out on this one, and even more happy about the harmony vocals our newest member, our bassist, Joel "Crank" Schrank, is contributing. He's the most accomplished musician who's ever been in Crash Pad. He can sight read, and play keys, guitar, and bass, plus he's a much better singer than I. Still, for better or worse at this point I'm Crash Pad's "voice."

I also play guitar in Joel's band (where he plays keys and is the lead singer/songwriter, though we do covers too), Pedagogy.

Robert
September 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM
The lead vocals sound great. You sound like you are 17, Brian! : D

Brian Krashpad
September 8th, 2011, 02:08 PM
The lead vocals sound great. You sound like you are 17, Brian! : D

Oh my, haha, thanks.

At this point I just consider myself very lucky and blessed to be able to "sing" at all, given the events of the last 9 months or so, with surgery and radiation to my throat and neck, and chemo to boot. I didn't start out with very much in the way of vocal capability to begin with, and I have lost a little in the higher register, but at the "head and neck cancer" forum on the American Cancer Society's website, I've learned that many are not so fortunate. Some folks even have problems with their speaking voice after this sort of thing.

I guess God just wanted me to keep rockin'!

;)

mapka
September 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM
So after listening to your recording I needed more! Luckly I have a copy of "Decline of Western Civilization" (both vol.1 & 2) and got my fill! :) I love this movie! I got to admit my favorite band on the movie is Fear. Dig the banter they have with their audience also. Little different from yours! :D

Katastrophe
September 8th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I dig it! "Buffy's Dead" would be fun to listen to live.

I dig the solos, too... Nice rock n' roll feel goin' on there.

Brian Krashpad
September 8th, 2011, 07:57 PM
So after listening to your recording I needed more! Luckly I have a copy of "Decline of Western Civilization" (both vol.1 & 2) and got my fill! :) I love this movie! I got to admit my favorite band on the movie is Fear. Dig the banter they have with their audience also. Little different from yours! :D

FEAR, you mean like the one I saw live a few years back? The one I got this t-shirt of?

http://sharemyguitar.com/community/public/forum_post/1000000/1000/865/27180.jpg

:dude

mapka
September 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
FEAR, you mean like the one I saw live a few years back? The one I got this t-shirt of?

:dude

LOL Could very well be! Did you ever see the movie I am talking about? Black Flag, Germs, Fear... great bands at the beginning of the West Coast punk scene. I saw DOWC II many years ago (more about the beginning of "Hair Metal" in the mid 80's). Another good movie!

Here is a vid of the lads

http://youtu.be/PyM4uAJBujA

Brian Krashpad
September 9th, 2011, 10:44 AM
LOL Could very well be! Did you ever see the movie I am talking about? Black Flag, Germs, Fear... great bands at the beginning of the West Coast punk scene. I saw DOWC II many years ago (more about the beginning of "Hair Metal" in the mid 80's). Another good movie!

Here is a vid of the lads

http://youtu.be/PyM4uAJBujA

Yeah, that's them, Lee Ving & co. Iirc Lee also did some acting and was the slimeball strip club manager in (of all things!) the movie Flashdance.

I've seen DoWC for sure, and may've seen DoWC-- The Metal Years, both by Penelope Spheeris I believe. I'm sure at a minimum I've seen snippets of the second, in particular I remember some none-too-bright rivetheads outside a venue waiting on a show waxing eloquent about metal, and there's a famous sad scene of some hairband guy totally wasted lounging in a swimming pool. I recall the latter scene as having been at the guy in question's mom's house, but I could be wrong about that.

Another good concert-footage movie mainly about the West Coast scene (but broader, and also inclusive of more "New Wave") is "Urrgh! A Music War."

mapka
September 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah, that's them, Lee Ving & co. Iirc Lee also did some acting and was the slimeball strip club manager in (of all things!) the movie Flashdance.

I've seen DoWC for sure, and may've seen DoWC-- The Metal Years, both by Penelope Spheeris I believe. I'm sure at a minimum I've seen snippets of the second, in particular I remember some none-too-bright rivetheads outside a venue waiting on a show waxing eloquent about metal, and there's a famous sad scene of some hairband guy totally wasted lounging in a swimming pool. I recall the latter scene as having been at the guy in question's mom's house, but I could be wrong about that.

I thought I had seen Ving somewhere else. One of the other bands (had a girl singer....X maybe?) the bass player was also later to be an actor and the guitarist has a Gretsch duo jet signature model named for him. I was trying to see if Pat Smear (Foo Fighters) was playing with Germ in the footage. Have to watch it again I guess! :)

DOWC II has lots of big hair in it! :rockya :D And lots of waxing! :D Scene you are talking about is the guy from Warrant lounging in his pool with about 5 empty Vodka bottles floating around him, while his mom is sitting in a chair by the pool watching. God, I love Rock and Roll! :) Best part about DOWC II is the girls that are in it! Boy I miss the fashion they wore then (even the big hair).