PDA

View Full Version : An Original Dish

Glacies
September 9th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I started writing a book about food recently as cooking is my biggest hobby. In fact, I've been debating opening up a small venue catering business in the near future to fully realize my dream of working as a chef. For those that don't know, I'm a full time engineer, realistically I'm not going to culinary school but that isn't stopping me from getting as much experience and education as I can.

Anyway, midway through my book I realized that my book and many other cookbooks are kind of boring. It's really just the same A-D-E chord progression, they, and I, just change the rhythm around a little bit. Then I started thinking about what makes me unique, what my culinary style is that nobody else really has. The thing about me (cue the classical music) is that I love really fine food, really fine restaurants, going all out with cocktails all the way down to desert. A good bottle of wine... I usually get to know the chefs, the owners, I love it.

Then the other side of me is a bit different (cue the badboy metal riff). I love going to Buffalo Wild Wings or any wing joint and just mowing down some of the hottest wings they have while downing mass quantities of beer.

So, I thought my unique culinary style would bridge the gap a little bit. I've done some experiments and I've started making stylistic hotwings. Gourmet Wings if you want to call it that although I'd prolly shy away from the gourmet side. My first foray was a Chicken Parm wing. This was admittedly a little weak. I marinated the wings in tomato sauce, breaded and fried them and paired them with a spicey mozzerella dip. They did taste like chicken parm and they lit you up so I was happy, but I blew myself away with these last night:

Phad Thai Wings:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i143/glacies_photos/DSCN1338.jpg

I lollipopped them and then marinated them in fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar and pureed peanuts. I steamed and baked them (originally tried to wrap spaghetti around them but I was out of semonlina spaghetti and wheat kept snapping so I gave up), then served them with that sauce in the middle which is a spicey garlic/peanut sauce and Siracha on the side. My wife was pretty freakin happy with me for those last night.

Just thought I'd share.

R_of_G
September 9th, 2011, 10:40 AM
An interesting take on wings. I'd have to modify the recipe a bit as I'm allergic to peanuts but I like to play with recipes anyway.

Good on you studying up on things that bring you happiness. I never went to culinary school but worked for a long time as a sous chef to one of the best chefs I've ever encountered. That was 10 years ago and I still use so much of what he taught me.

Glacies
September 16th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks man.

Tonight my BiL and SiL are coming into town for the weekend. My SiL has been driving me crazy about doing these wings for her so I'm going to make the Chix Parm and the Phad Thai wings again. Butchered about 40 of them last night and gonna start them up when I get home. Will try to actually write down the recipes if anyone is interested.

R_of_G
September 16th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I'm definitely interested in both recipes if you get the chance to write them down.

otaypanky
September 17th, 2011, 08:16 AM
That sauce looks like 3rd degree deadly hot

We're playing at a place tonight that has some awesome food coming out of their little kitchen. The wings are a big favorite. One version my friend Jose' does is drizzled with parmesan and garlic, marinara on the side. You can hear the neck vertebrae crackle as heads turn when the waitress goes by with a plateful of those, man do they smell great ~