PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Mace

Spudman
November 27th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I just scored a deal of epic proportions. A 30 year old Peavey Mace head.

I stopped in to my local music store and as usual was checking out guitars. I was playing them without plugging them in when I came across one that I wanted to plug in. I looked behind me and discovered this Mace sitting on a 4x12 cabinet. So I plugged in.

Everything works but all the pots need cleaning which is no problem as I just got a Caig Industries Audio Survival Kit consisting of Deoxit, Pro Gold and Cailube MCL. This is the Holy Grail for electronics cleaning and works the best on guitars too. Also the knob stickers are peeling off the front of the knobs. No big deal. Steve Smith at Peavey is the go-to-guy for any Peavey needs large or small, new or old.

I've wanted one of these ever since I started playing in bands. Our original guitarist had one along with the extra tall Peavey ported 4x12 speaker cabinet. Oh my! It was heaven to listen to and to play. My pant legs would flap if I ever stood in front of it.

There are 6 -6L6 tubes for 160 watts, reverb and 2 channels. The channels can be configured either alone or you can run them in series or parallel. Very versatile. This didn't come with the combiner footswitch but they can easily be found.

If you want to know what it sounds like just listen to the first few original Lynyrd Skynyrd albums. These baby's sing!

If you can even find one they are fetching premium prices from most folks in the know. In my case...they didn't know. Don't even think of finding an affordable one on Ebay and they weigh a ton so shipping is usually really high.

Since the pots need cleaning I mentioned that I'd be putting at least 2 hrs. labor into it and asked if we could adjust the price accordingly. Sure enough they did. So for a little more than the price of a Valve Jr. I now have a monster tone machine that will shatter windows. Just what I need for when the neighbors are bugging me.

Keep this under your hats and keep your eyes open if you think that you might be in the market for a head. Look locally or wherever you go.

There are other versions of this amp. A 2x12 combo and a newer style head same version as the combo with a built in phase shifter and colored knobs. Neither sound as good as the original pictured here.

Tone2TheBone
November 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Nice score. A friend of mine had the Mace combo. Never heard the comparison to the head but I'll take your word for it. :) Congrats!

sunvalleylaw
November 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Nice score. A friend of mine had the Mace combo. Never heard the comparison to the head but I'll take your word for it. :) Congrats!

Nice Spud! Just out of curiousity, what is the local shop? I might stop in next time I pull through the area, just before or after I see if I can buy you a beer. :D

tot_Ou_tard
November 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Sounds like a cool score! Congrats Spud!

...pant leg flappin' time!

Robert
November 27th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Congrats Spud! You've got a real vintage amp there!

:)

warren0728
November 27th, 2006, 04:25 PM
cool spud....rock out time :DR what are you going to run it into?

ww

Spudman
November 27th, 2006, 04:48 PM
cool spud....rock out time :DR what are you going to run it into?

ww

Oh, I don't plan on playing it. I just want to be able to walk up to hotshots and tell them that I have one.;)

I'll put it through my Peavey 2x12 angled cabinet, but you can bet I'll be careful not to turn it up all the way, or poof! Whaaaaaaa! %*#(^#&

warren0728
November 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Oh, I don't plan on playing it. I just want to be able to walk up to hotshots and tell them that I have one.
smart move....no need to use it...just show it off!! ;) :D :eek: :D

ww

SuperSwede
November 28th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Spud, congrats to the new amp.. and DO let us hear how it sounds!

Plank_Spanker
November 28th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Killer score, Spud! I remember those tall Peavey 4x12 well.

If memory still serves me, don't the Mace and Deuce have SS preamps?

If I ever run across one, it's coming home. Then I'll have to find an old Gibby Explorer....:D

Moshe
November 28th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Wow...

That's a lot of amphhh.

Congrats!

Spudman
November 28th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Killer score, Spud! I remember those tall Peavey 4x12 well.

If memory still serves me, don't the Mace and Deuce have SS preamps?

If I ever run across one, it's coming home. Then I'll have to find an old Gibby Explorer....:D

YA the amph is probably overkill, but...well you know...it was just sitting there. Yes I know I didn't really need it...but it was just ...and I know we just bought some furniture and the whole money and Christmas thing...but it...and I didn't discuss it with my wife...but...and it's just going to hurt my back lifting it...Whew! I finally ran out of objections. That was easy. Now I can keep it guilt free.:)

Yes it does have SS preamps. It sounds less than macho when you crank the pre volume. The trick is to just back off the pre and let her sing and maybe use a pedal for over the top gain stuff.

Spudman
November 28th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I just read somewhere that Gary Rossington (Skynyrd) still has his original early 1970's Mace and it's running strong. I'll have to talk Mace talk with him if I see him in Jackson next summer.

If you haven't heard one of these amphs you owe it to yourself. Awesome!

Plank_Spanker
November 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I remember them well. :D

Moshe
November 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
YA the amph is probably overkill, but...well you know...it was just sitting there. Yes I know I didn't really need it...but it was just ...and I know we just bought some furniture and the whole money and Christmas thing...but it...and I didn't discuss it with my wife...but...and it's just going to hurt my back lifting it...Whew! I finally ran out of objections. That was easy. Now I can keep it guilt free.:)

Yes it does have SS preamps. It sounds less than macho when you crank the pre volume. The trick is to just back off the pre and let her sing and maybe use a pedal for over the top gain stuff.

I could not have walked away from this amp either. The 6L6's alone are probably worth what you paid. I would just have a hard time finding a place to play it. axeual frustration.