PDA

View Full Version : Which woods do you prefer?

Telephantasm
September 10th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I was just wondering which tonewoods you guys prefer in your bodies and necks, I'm partial to Korina bodies, but I'm a fan of alder and mahogany as well.

progrmr
September 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I really can't think of a wood I don't like. Had lots of different types between playing guitar and bass.

I am partial to les paul's so if I had to pick one I'd go mahogany.

marnold
September 10th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Must . . . refrain . . . from making . . . obscene . . . joke . . .

Norwegian.

Anyway.

I'm not sure I have a preference. The only guitar bodies that I've ever hated were plywood. They were acoustically dead and weighed a ton. I've had instruments made of basswood, alder, poplar, and now swamp ash. My only gripe with that lot is that basswood is very soft and susceptible to denting and such. I much prefer a maple fretboard, but that is purely aesthetic, not tonal.

deeaa
September 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Maple necks are best, otherwise, not really concerned that much, as long as it ain't horribly heavy.

Tig
September 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Korina bodies work really well. The mahogany/maple top combo is also great.

I'd like to try a swamp ash Tele or Strat some time.

I don't put too much value in electric guitar woods. They do help shape tone and sustain a bit, but not nearly as much as with an acoustic guitar.

sunvalleylaw
September 10th, 2011, 02:53 PM
on acoustics, I am a rosewood/spruce guy, though other guitars can also sound nice. I like that scooped presence and thumpy bass the rosewood gives.

on solid body electrics, so far I am an alder guy, but I am open minded. On semis/hollows, I would just go for the guitar I like. Not sure I even know what is used mostly, though I think my Hag has a maple top.

Necks, well, I have a few and like all of them. A couple are mahogany, one is all maple, one is maple with RW fretboard. I like them all.

Bookkeeper's Son
September 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I certainly haven't owned enough different guitars to have any real knowledge about the virtues of certain "tone" woods. I also tend to view guitars as an entirety, where the whole is not the sum of its parts. All that said, I'm more likely to judge the wood by its aesthetic value, and the upper end guitars are where you'll see the prettiest wood, as you'd expect.

I like 'em all, but lean toward rosewood backs and sides on acoustics (spruce tops being the norm). And I like maple tops on electrics. Neck and body wood isn't that important, although a nice black ebony fingerboard is icing on the cake.

Katastrophe
September 10th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I'm not really partial to any one type of wood. I'm from the "if it sounds good, it is good" school.

ZMAN
September 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I have guitars that are made from many different woods. I had never heard of Agathis, Basswood, or Pine being used in solid body guitars up until lately. All of them sound great so it is hard to say. I do however like maple and ebony in fret boards. A good rosewood has to be fine grain and a little aged to feel good.

deeaa
September 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I don't put too much value in electric guitar woods. They do help shape tone and sustain a bit, but not nearly as much as with an acoustic guitar.

Yep that's how I see it too.

marnold
September 11th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I will say that swamp ash looks great with a natural finish. Basswood most assuredly would not. That's purely visuals though.