PDA

View Full Version : Drove a new Camaro today

ZMAN
September 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I finally got to take my friends new Camaro RS out today. Black on Black RS, with 20 inch aluminum wheels.
It is the V6 with 318 HP. Pretty peppy with a 6 speed auto. I can't imagine what the 425 HP 2SS woud be like, or even the new 580 hp ZL1 set to be realeased soon.
I have a 1968 Camaro and have owned 3 1969 Z/28s. I was trying to compare them to it, but with the nicer ride and modern electronic touches, this Camaro is more like a cruiser than a muscle car, but handles like a dream and looks pretty cool as well.
My wife really liked it.
My friend is the last guy I would have thought would buy a Camaro. He is close to 300 lbs, diabetic that has to wear those Frankenstien boots. It is pretty funny watching him get in and out of it.
He loves it though.

Tig
September 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I love how they look, but wish GM would start making better interiors. I wish I could afford an SS.

mapka
September 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM
My friend is the last guy I would have thought would buy a Camaro. He is close to 300 lbs, diabetic that has to wear those Frankenstien boots. It is pretty funny watching him get in and out of it.
He loves it though.

I am build like your friend and have to wear those ugly shoes also but that doesnt stop me! I got a 1996 Mustang Cobra and my everyday driver is a Mini! You get in and out enough times you learn how to do it somewhat gracefully! :) Worst car I was ever in that I am convinced you would have to go to a school to get in and out of gracefully was an E-type Jaguar. What a PITA

sunvalleylaw
September 11th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I was on a trip last weekend with my son, and when the econobox we rented was unacceptable due to smoke residue, we got upgraded to a Mustang, in a real pretty metallic blue. I am not a muscle car guy and much prefer a european sports handling, and high rev smaller powerplants to huge american motors. But this car was pretty nice! We were driving only on busy surface streets and CA coastal freeways, so I did not get to really get a full sense of the car, but it handled certainly a lot better than the old muscle cars, had really nice seating, and very nice throttle response. I did not like the sight lines of the car in some respects. Some really bad blind spots that had one really relying on mirrors. The dash had a cool white backlight that changed to some disco-y colors when you turned on the headlights. A bit gaudy, but my son liked it, and the light rings around the cupholders. Back was next to useless, but that was to be expected.

Looking at the two rigs(visually only, I did not compare specs), I would guess the Camaro would be a bit similar.

ZMAN
September 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I am build like your friend and have to wear those ugly shoes also but that doesnt stop me! I got a 1996 Mustang Cobra and my everyday driver is a Mini! You get in and out enough times you learn how to do it somewhat gracefully! :) Worst car I was ever in that I am convinced you would have to go to a school to get in and out of gracefully was an E-type Jaguar. What a PITA
I hope I didn't sound like I was making fun of those boots. I have known him for over 40 years so I kid him about them merceleslly. I have been a muscle car guy all my life and it was kind of funny to see him go out and buy one of the new Camaros. I told him he should have bought an Equinox like I have for my driver but he said "why when I can have a Camaro for the same money" He obviously is sacrificing his comfort for his fun side. It is a sweet ride though.

mapka
September 11th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I hope I didn't sound like I was making fun of those boots. I have known him for over 40 years so I kid him about them merceleslly. I have been a muscle car guy all my life and it was kind of funny to see him go out and buy one of the new Camaros. I told him he should have bought an Equinox like I have for my driver but he said "why when I can have a Camaro for the same money" He obviously is sacrificing his comfort for his fun side. It is a sweet ride though.

No I didn't take it in anyway negative. I have had to wear them for 10 years so I am over the stigma. I think the first good snow storm he will be wanting that Equinox instead! I was always lucky to have another car to drive instead of the Stang.