PDA

View Full Version : How to get more members on this board?

Robert
December 14th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Got any ideas? Please tell all your guitar friends about our friendly hangout - the more the merrier, eh!?

A few ideas - we can get customized guitar picks with "thefret.net" on them. Wouldn't cost too much. Each new member could get a few sent to them.

A contest among us - the one that recruits the most members within a certain timeframe wins a supercool prize!

Share with us your ideas on making this place more rockin'!

warren0728
December 14th, 2005, 07:27 PM
could we mention it on other guitar related forums...or is that a bad thing?

ww

Robert
December 14th, 2005, 08:52 PM
That is a bad thing, so let's not do that. You can email other people on other boards perhaps, but posting about our board on another forum would probably be received in a negative way.

Nelskie
December 14th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Picks are a really cool idea, Robert. Also - if we're going to give out a prize for recruiting the most members, it might be wise to have the new forum members mention who told them about the site. At least that way, you could keep track of #'s and such. Just a thought.

As for ideas, I thought it'd be a cool for there to be a place on the forum where members could share some discussion on past / present / new CD's that feature great guitar work, great guitar tones, etc. Occasionally, there's mention of a certain CD, guitarist, or guitar tone on a thread. But having a specific place where one could mention and have some discussion about a particular guitarist / band / CD would provide an instant go-to reference point for both present / new members and players to share information about guitar sounds, tones, playing styles, albums . . . whatever. Maybe something like that would generate more interest than, let's say, the bass forum . . . ? :confused:

Anyways, I'd be happy to spear-head that effort, in the event that it's something that you and the rest our forum members would be interested in. I'm "up" on a lot of different music, and have a substantial music library to use as a reference point. Again - it's just an idea. Bass players, please refrain from sending me any "hate mail" :mad:

warren0728
December 14th, 2005, 09:54 PM
i figured it was a bad thing...maybe we could put up flyers at local guitar shops or make business cards size ones with thefret.net on them for musician bulletin boards at local guitar shops

i could design the "business card" ones and make them available as a pdf file for printing out on home computers

ww

Iago
December 15th, 2005, 01:56 PM
That would be hard for me.. most of my friends don't speak english :(

Robert
December 15th, 2005, 02:53 PM
As for ideas, I thought it'd be a cool for there to be a place on the forum where members could share some discussion on past / present / new CD's that feature great guitar work, great guitar tones, etc. Occasionally, there's mention of a certain CD, guitarist, or guitar tone on a thread. But having a specific place where one could mention and have some discussion about a particular guitarist / band / CD would provide an instant go-to reference point for both present / new members and players to share information about guitar sounds, tones, playing styles, albums . . . whatever. Maybe something like that would generate more interest than, let's say, the bass forum . . . ? :confused:

Anyways, I'd be happy to spear-head that effort, in the event that it's something that you and the rest our forum members would be interested in. I'm "up" on a lot of different music, and have a substantial music library to use as a reference point. Again - it's just an idea. Bass players, please refrain from sending me any "hate mail" :mad:

Sounds like a good idea! I can make a new forum for this. What should it be called? You can be the moderator for it, if you want. As for the bass forum, we'll we gotta try and get bass player on board too somehow!

Nelskie
December 16th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Hmmm . . . a name for the that part of the forum. How about this: "Have You Heard"? Of course, giving full credit for that inspiration to the Rev. Billy G. & his mates in ZZ Top. ;) What'cha think about that? I'd be more than happy to moderate it.

Tone2TheBone
December 16th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I hereby submit a yay in favor of Nelski being a mod. He'd make an excellent one.

Robert
December 16th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Okay, done! Start adding to the new forum! Let me know if you come up with a better description for it.

Guitar-Chris
December 16th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Got any ideas? Please tell all your guitar friends about our friendly hangout - the more the merrier, eh!?

Ok, a few more user would be nice, but be careful. Here we have a polite and friendly tone. More users sometimes bring another wind to it.

I am the moderator of the official German Digitech User Forum (hey by the way, only in my spare time, that's not my job). Sometimes to many users are a problem :-)

I think the best way is, to tell friends about the forum who share the same interests. Robert, i think your web-page was the way to this forum for most people, so that's the base, isn't it?

But the pic-thing would be nice. But if you send them from Canada to Germany: Isn't it too expensive?

tremoloman
December 20th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I've started creating wallpapers with the "www.thefret.net" logo, as well as making home made stickers I've put on my guitars when I play gigs in Boston.

I haven't uploaded the wallpapers as of yet because I've got nowhere to put them. There aren't many cool Hendrix wallpapers out there, so I know these will get snatched up and spread like wildfire once I find a place to host them.

I also have had some unfortunate events happen at work that have taken up most of my tiem this month. Luckily, I'll be on vacation after the 23rd until 2006 so I can "get the word out".

"Bueller? Bueller"
"Anyone? Anyone?"
"Frye? Frye?"

Robert
December 20th, 2005, 11:19 PM
You can create a thread here and upload them. You should have about 20 megs available for the wallpapers :D

R

I've started creating wallpapers with the "www.thefret.net" logo, as well as making home made stickers I've put on my guitars when I play gigs in Boston.

I haven't uploaded the wallpapers as of yet because I've got nowhere to put them. There aren't many cool Hendrix wallpapers out there, so I know these will get snatched up and spread like wildfire once I find a place to host them.