PDA

View Full Version : Squire Tele Custom questions

zodiac71
November 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
First off, hello from a new member. I have heard good things about this board from other boards so I thought I would ask this question here as it seemed better suited

I recently purchased a Squire Tele Custom (humbucker version) and I really love the feel of this guitar. I have been playing for around 5 years but have never really 'worked' on a guitar nor modified one. I can do intonation, neck adjustment, etc...the basics.

Anyway, I want this to be my first project guitar and here are the things I am planning on changing (some just because, others because I think it will help the rig)

First off, I would like to replace the bridge (at least the saddles) to a black one. Will this (http://store.guitarfetish.com/topmohabrfit1.html) bridge be a drop in replacement or would I be better off just ordering these (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridge_parts/Graph_Tech_Tele_Style_Saddles.html) and painting the existing plate black?

Tuners will be changed out to better ones that will also be black

New black string saddles

Black, domed metal knobs

Pots: for this model, do I need standard or long shaft? Also, is the 3-way switch a standard "LP" style or a right-angle job?

Pickups will be Highorder pu's just like in all my other guitars. Jeff is great and I will always order from him.

Hoping for some feedback and info that could make me feel a bit more comfortable prior to ordering said items.

I read a great review of a Custom mod on here, but some of these questions were not answered (probably because most people know all this stuff and I am trying to learn)

sunvalleylaw
November 27th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Hello Zodiac! I cannot answer your tele mod questions, but extend a warm welcome to the board.

warren0728
November 27th, 2006, 04:21 PM
welcome zodiac...i think you will like it here.

I do believe our member tim has the same guitar. Maybe he can answer your questions.

ww

zodiac71
November 30th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Well, I found out the pots are standard length shafts.

Still wondering if that bridge I linked is a crop in replacement though. The guys at GFS and Stewmac were not much help.

Robert
November 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Welcome zodiac71! I don't have a good answer for you either, but thanks for joining and someone else around here can help you out.

Leonidas
December 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Well, I guess I would be the one to answer your questions :)

First off, welcome to thefret! Its a great place with great members.

I also used this guitar as my first big project guitar. Here is my full review on that: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1287

Saddles/Bridge:
I looked into this for my own project, but decided against it because I couldn't find chrome saddles that would definitely fit. There are ones made by GraphTec, but I was unable to find them anywhere, and I was running out of money to spend on the project, so I skipped that part. ;) The saddles you link to on stewmac, I believe, are for american made teles, because it doesn't specify (the spacing IS different between squiers and am. standards.). I was able to find black ones that are especially made for squiers here. (http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/saddles_graphtechtele.htm) The full assembly I was unable to find anywhere. The one you link to from guitar fetish says that it will fit the squier '51, which may be the same spacing as the tele, but I really don't know. Maybe ask the guy at GFS for the exact measurements and try to match it up?

New tuners - good idea, most minis will fit, I used mini grovers and they worked really well. Had to drill tiny holes for the screws, but that went smoothly. Domed metal knobs - also nice choice ;).

Pots:
This guitar doesn't use standard size pots. It uses mini alpha pots, like these (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers_and_push-pull_pots/2/Potentiometers_and_Push-Pull_Pots.html) (item 3477). I wanted to use CTS pots, so I upgraded to full size pots, which made it much more difficult to fit them in the cavity easily. I actually had to increase the size of the hole in the pickguard to be able to fit them. If you choose to go that route, be extra careful when doing this, because if you make the hole too big the pot will be loose. Mine turned out alright, but I was extra careful. CTS minis don't exist, or are hard to find. Also, you don't need long shaft, since it only goes through the thin pickguard.

The 3-way switch is a standard LP style switch, I used a switchcraft.

Hope all this helps! This was also my first project, and I had a blast working on it. It turned out so well. Everyone that hears or plays my Tele is blown away that it is a squier. It really sounds great with all the upgrades.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it turns out. Also, if you have any other questions, ask away.

zodiac71
December 4th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Excellent! Thanks a ton...

Off to order my stuff and get to crackin'!

Tim
December 5th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Hi zodiac71. Sorry about jumping in here late. I have been on the road for two weeks. I have the same guitar and upgraded all pots and caps. Leonidas has given you good information. If you still need help send me a PM.

As far as the saddles. Measure the ones on your guitar to see how wide they are. Squire seldom stays with the same configuration on each model when throwing their guitars together. Call Stewart Mac at their toll free number and give them the dimensions. They should be able to direct you in which saddles to use. I particularly like the 3089 saddles.

zodiac71
December 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the info, Tim.

I have most the parts now and the rest are on their way. I am going to do all this then get a fret job done.

I will take before and after pics for those that would be interested. Wish me luck! I have never messed with anything other than strings, etc

ted s
December 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Welcome Zodiac, sounds like a great project.