PDA

View Full Version : Hagstrom, Gibson or Tokai.

The Fender Bender
September 11th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Hi All, I am looking to buy a LP style of guitar & would like all opinions of Hagstrom's either a Swede or Super Swede I have not been able to play any of the above because none of my local shops have any lefties to try, I can get a Swede no problems in Australia $900 but I would have to purchase a Super Swede from the USA as there are none DownUnder (typical lefty problem) Or I can get a Gibson LP Studio $1700 or a Tokai made in Japan Love Rock Les Paul $1500
I know a certain Robert Renman has some experience with the Hagstroms as I have checked out his videos. Epiphones I am not keen on.
I would really love to try all of the above myself but being a lefty this is near impossible to do, so any help in my search would be appreciated. :help

mapka
September 11th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I have a Swede and love it. I highly recommend them. Great build, very nice neck, and the electronics (pots and pickups are good). The only negatives I can find with it are that IMHO the pups could be a little hotter, the switches are a little cheap looking, and (although to me, this is really not a problem) it is definitely a "darker" sounding guitar then my LP. I have had no problems with it and when I bought it, the setup was pretty much spot on. Mine also has a tremolo system on it and you can hang on it and it will not take the strings out of tune.

otaypanky
September 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I haven't owned a Hagstrom since the 60's and I have never played a Tokai, so I have no help to offer on those. But I sure do love the LP's I have as well as those I no longer own. I once had an Epiphone reissue of an unusual LP Signature hollow body, of which I also have an original 73 Gibson. I have to say that Epiphone was a superb guitar for fit, finish, and tone.