PDA

View Full Version : Interesting NPR Article on newer recordings

NWBasser
September 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122114058

I found this one fascinating and it seems to explain a lot of what I've been hearing in recordings.

marnold
September 12th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I didn't even have to look at the article to know that "Death Magnetic" would be a part of the discussion :)

Retro Hound
September 13th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I've been ranting about this for a while. The loudness makes the ears tired and there is much less dynamics in the music.

deeaa
September 13th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Oh yeah, I've been ranting about it for years too...what can you do, they need to make the songs sound awesome on YouTube and MP3 demos so they catch the modern listener's de-sensitized ear...just check songs in YouTube, the newer a song the more terribly compressed it usually is. The Whitesnake clip posted just recently here is a good example. Sounds terrific for a few minutes, then it just kills the ear.

Spudman
September 13th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Oh yeah, I've been ranting about it for years too...what can you do, they need to make the songs sound awesome on YouTube and MP3 demos so they catch the modern listener's de-sensitized ear...just check songs in YouTube, the newer a song the more terribly compressed it usually is. The Whitesnake clip posted just recently here is a good example. Sounds terrific for a few minutes, then it just kills the ear.

The album itself is much more dynamic, but I agree. Some artists are releasing material that is more old school sounding without the over compression factor but you really have to look hard to find them.

Eric
September 13th, 2011, 03:39 PM
The whole ear-fatigue thing is interesting to me, and I've begun to take notice of it with music in general. I'm in a bit of a slump music-wise these days -- just not quite as enamored with it as I once was. I wonder if the two things are related at all.

Anyway, interesting read. I saw the McCartney video a while ago and thought it was a very good explanation of the whole compression thing.

NWBasser
September 13th, 2011, 05:14 PM
The whole ear-fatigue thing is interesting to me, and I've begun to take notice of it with music in general. I'm in a bit of a slump music-wise these days -- just not quite as enamored with it as I once was. I wonder if the two things are related at all.

Anyway, interesting read. I saw the McCartney video a while ago and thought it was a very good explanation of the whole compression thing.

McCartney video?

I'd like to see what that's about.

NWBasser
September 13th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I've been ranting about this for a while. The loudness makes the ears tired and there is much less dynamics in the music.

I agree that over-compression really kills the dynamics. Sad state of things.

Eric
September 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
McCartney video?

I'd like to see what that's about.
Well, the youtube video using a McCartney song as an example; it was referenced in the NPR article

3Gmex_4hreQ

deeaa
September 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Yeah I usually hope it's just the YouTube track that's severely compressed, not the actual album...