PDA

View Full Version : Allen Accomplice kit on the way!

Moshe
November 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM
For anyone who doesn't know, it's basically a 60's blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb with no vibrato. All PTP and high quality parts.but with the RAW control it can also go all the way to a tweed sound or anywhere in between by rolling back the mids that were rolled off to get the blackface sparkle and chime in the first place.

http://allenamps.com/accomplice.html

The chassis....any day...

The cabinet...six weeks..:(

I Can't friiiieeeekin wait!!!!!!!!!!

:R :DR :R

Robert
November 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Oooooh cool! I have been eying those kits myself. Don't know if I dare to buy one though, so I am really looking forward to hearing your "building story"!

Those amps are supposed to be just fantastic.

Moshe
November 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Oooooh cool! I have been eying those kits myself. Don't know if I dare to buy one though, so I am really looking forward to hearing your "building story"!

Those amps are supposed to be just fantastic.

I'll try to keep everone updated with pics and stuff.

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Yes! We want pics! The build your own & mod'em if you've got'em ethic of the fret is truly inspiring.

Tone2TheBone
November 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Yeah do a photo tutorial for us.

Moshe
November 28th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Yeah do a photo tutorial for us.

Email today..

Your chassis kit parts are shipping today by UPS ground with tracking number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

You might get it Friday.

Thanks,

David

David Allen

Allen Amplification

1325 Richwood Road Walton, KY 41094

Ph (859) 485 6423 (eastern time zone)

Fx (859) 485 6424

www.allenamps.com

Step one for building these is PATIENCE!!! AAAHHHHHH!!

Robert
November 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I can SO NOT wait for you to build this amp and then record some fat notes with it so I can hear it played! I bet it is what Fender wished their amps are.

warren0728
November 28th, 2006, 01:07 PM
very cool....i hear good things about the allen amps

i am thinking of building my own amp too....but it will be a 1/2 watt guytronix! :R

ww

Tone2TheBone
November 28th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I think you guys have started up more GAS.

Moshe
December 1st, 2006, 04:24 AM
woohoo!!!

For starters here are some pics of the great documentation that came with the chassis, and then a pic of the chassis on my other amps as a size comparison.

I installed faceplates and some pots and switches...more to follow.

http://www.box.net/public/rquxp79vpv

tot_Ou_tard
December 1st, 2006, 06:19 AM
very cool....i hear good things about the allen amps

i am thinking of building my own amp too....but it will be a 1/2 watt guytronix! :R

ww
Wussie! A real man plays a 0.0125 watt amph & makes it scream!

------------------------------------------------------

Guytronix also offers an attenuator mod for their 1/2 watt amp kits.

Gilmore Jr. & Ardmore Attenuator Mod

Is your half-watt Gilmore Jr or eight-watt Ardmore Kit too loud? Are you looking for a way to capture the maxed raw sassiness and chime of the Gilmore Jr and Ardmore at lower listening levels?

The Attenuator Mod includes instructions and components, featuring a heavy-duty ceramic rheostat. This mod requires the builder to drill two 3/8" holes into the Gilmore Jr or Ardmore Chassis to fit an additional output jack and to also fit the ceramic rheostat control shaft, providing for a very flexible solution.

warren0728
December 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM
yeah i saw that...was afraid it would suck too much tone!

ww

topbrent
December 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Interested to know of your progress on the Accomplice.

PM me about the schem to the brown sugar if interested.

Moshe
January 30th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Sorry for any delay on this thread. Long post to come. I was out of the country and then got sick.

I have had no problems with this amp other than a bad pre-amp tube that I bought seperately. I just want to let it break in a little and use it for awhile.

I am running 6L6's .
Some of the tones I am getting out of it on my tele remind me of Dwight Yoakem "blame the vain" CD type tele sounds. It really has a beautiful punchy voice but may not be best for Led Zep type stuff without a pedal. But I am lovin' the rawhide/jailbeak kickin' sound from the bridge pup. I had always not liked the bridge pup on my tele, but this amp does it right.

more to come.

Moshe
February 6th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Here are some sound clips to demostrate some features of the Allen Accomplice:

Here is Day Tripper with a classic clean tele bridge sound:

http://www.box.net/public/geia4r5oq8

Here is a demo of the reverb cranked; neck p'up:

http://www.box.net/public/f3e80jgu0s

Here is how it breaks up with the "raw" control:

All with neck pup:
master on 10
1: clean blackface, no raw
2: clean tweedish, raw on 4
3: overdriven blackface, volume 8, no raw
4: overdriven tweed, raw 5 volume 8
5: raw and volume 8......master down to 5....its too loud.

http://www.box.net/public/76vm4tygtc

Thanks for listening.

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Nice tones and demos! Me Likey!!

Moshe
February 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Thanks!

My build story:

Well, when everything arrived, it exceeded my expectations for quality. The stainless steel chassis is very impressive as are the tube sockets transformers...everything. The directions were incredibly thorough with only a couple of minor errors. For instance: I believe an update to the kit was to have the ground for the bias wired directly to the ground post rather than collected with the chassis ground wires and put in the ground lug. So when I got to the ground wire part it said "collect eight ground wires" and I only had 7! So I started to get worried and counted and re-counted but finally figured out that the eighth wire is already going to the bias post.

This kit is NOT hard, but it takes a LONG TIME. I think I spent maybe 30-40 hours on it. These are hours that you will NOT be practicing, or anything else...But I wanted it to be perfect. I think I got close. I didn't at first, though. On about the third time playing it if I pushed the amp it would make a loud HUMMM racket that wouldn't stop until I shut it off. Then I was thinking OH man!! what did I do! But after taking it apart and checking everything, I switched out the power tubes...no help...switched out the pre amp tubes....thats fixed it! whew...

I really love this amph, it's just gonna take me awhile to learn how to play it well.

Chris

Moshe
February 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM

I've been double posted...:confused:

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I've been double posted...:confused:

Huh? I'm confused too. Still really like the tones and sounds from that amp though. Thanks for the build info. :)