PDA

View Full Version : Doing cocktail and dinner music - no idea what to do

Robert
September 14th, 2011, 08:05 AM
We are playing for a police ball here in town on Saturday. We are playing for the dance, 9pm to 1am. They want some cocktail hour and dinner hour music too, and it's looking like it's just me and the drummer for that... the bass player can't make it and our singer can't sing for that many hours without losing her voice.

So, I guess we will be jamming! Any suggestions on what to play?

I'm thinking just some jazz standards, blues tunes, latin and whatever else I can just comp through. Throw in little melodies here and there.

It's just background music, but we don't want to look like complete fools either... :)

SuperSwede
September 14th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Why not "Bad boys" and "911" in jazz versions.. :socool

sunvalleylaw
September 14th, 2011, 08:30 AM
lady of impanema? Or you could do portions of "So What" by Miles, or the like, and throw in guitar versions of some show tunes like "Over the Rainbow" and "Wonderful World", songs that have nice, strong recognizable melodies to riff on a little. Doesn't have to be too original. People like comfortable music while eating.

Robert
September 14th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I really suck and chord melody playing, so it would have to be just playing the chords, and people can whistle the melody! :)

SS, yeah sure, and maybe I Fought The Law And The Law Won?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPXnoLAEUSQ

sunvalleylaw
September 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Loop the chords then play over them?

or stuff like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=211WKF9Q3rs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ipftv39YU

"All Blues" would be fun for your drummer, I would think.

progrmr
September 14th, 2011, 09:40 AM
http://top-people.starmedia.com/tmp/swotti/cacheAMFTZXMGAGV0ZMLLBGQ=/imgJames%20Hetfield3.jpg

Robert
September 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Looping with a drummer is tricky to do, I find. The drummer really needs to hear the loop well, otherwise we might get out of sync and that is terrible... I have tried it before with catastrophic results.

I wish my looping devices had just a click output, so he could get it in his own monitor or in-ear monitor.

piebaldpython
September 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I Shot The Sheriff should be the hit of the nite.

Eric
September 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Loop the chords then play over them?
I agree that this seems like it would be a good option. Maybe you could spend a few minutes with your drummer and see if you can get it to a workable point. If you make it percussive enough on the rhythm, perhaps it could work like a click track. I doubt your drummer would like that, but you might be able to get a reasonable compromise that would make cocktail hour a lot easier.

As far as songs go, it seems like your ideas are about the same as mine when I first saw this thread.

marnold
September 14th, 2011, 01:41 PM
"Raining Blood" comes to mind.

SuperSwede
September 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM
"Raining Blood" comes to mind.

Yeah, nothing fits a nice dinner better than some good old slayer (in jazz version no less) :D

Robert
September 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I wish I had studied some Joe Pass.... my chord/melody playing is unfortunately a bit... well the expression "like utter crap" comes to mind... ;)

otaypanky
September 14th, 2011, 10:05 PM
That's a full plate. But if anyone can pull it off I think you're the guy ~

Ch0jin
September 14th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Looping with a drummer is tricky to do, I find. The drummer really needs to hear the loop well, otherwise we might get out of sync and that is terrible... I have tried it before with catastrophic results.

I wish my looping devices had just a click output, so he could get it in his own monitor or in-ear monitor.

Wow, Me too. I've tried twice to jam with loops and a drummer and without a click track or some kind of monitor it just doesn't work. I'd like to be able to MIDI clock a real drummer, but I think we are a few years away from that yet....

oldguy
September 15th, 2011, 06:28 AM
"The Girl From Ipanema". That's a pretty good standard from way back when. Bossa Nova, boss.

Take an elevator ride, there should be some ideas there. :)

Lev
September 16th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Any chance you could get another guitarist to sit in for an hour and play some backing chords? I'll do it for you if you pay the return air fare!

Robert
September 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Problem solved. I hired a piano player... He's flying solo and we can relax and show up later.

Thanks for all suggestions though!

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Solo piano works for cocktail hour. I am sure it takes the pressure off. Enjoy the weekend!