PDA

View Full Version : NGD (upcoming...)

deeaa
September 16th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Well,

I finally found an SG I liked. White, naturally :-) or vintage cream white Epiphone G400 'Custom Shop' (which means basically nothing but perhaps a bit more closely finished/polished) 'Hand Crafted made in China' model (which means it is indeed made in Quindao, China, Epiphone's 'top' factory and not Korea or such).

I haven't actually gotten to play it yet...it'll arrive to my father-in-law this weekend and I'll get the the weekend after that...but I already paid for it. It was on sale on a local Craigslist equivalent, 320€ with hard case.

Always a bit worrying to buy sight unseen and especially sending money up front, but gotsta trust the fellow player, right :-) ? I did get good photos of it and he claims it's in great shape and not neck heavy at all, but we'll see about that...

Tuners should be good and frets in reportedly good condition, he says the pickups are quite good to his taste too, but I'll of course swap them to actives right away.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OwwQ8jl_CcQ/TnM84tTZIII/AAAAAAAAEPE/n1nwLMiGjSY/s640/IMG_3565.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dnuIuZnw9Xo/TnM8y7cTBZI/AAAAAAAAEPA/dG0qVKl-6EI/s912/IMG_3563.JPG

Now that's finally just the kind of SG I always wanted :-) (as long as it is as advertised)

Spudman
September 16th, 2011, 07:35 AM
That looks nice. I hope it turns out to be a good one.

progrmr
September 16th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I like the cream color better than say an arctic white. Nice looking guitar - looking forward to hearing how you like it and how it plays.

deeaa
September 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Yeah, well it'll be at least a week till I get it...tough to wait...:-)

NWBasser
September 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Oh cool!

Any other mods in store besides the active pups?

marnold
September 16th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Cool! I'll be interested to hear your take on it. Going with the 81/85 combo for pickups?

deeaa
September 16th, 2011, 09:23 PM
No, I don't like 81's that much so if it's gonna be EMG it'll be 85 bridge, not sure of the neck yet, 89 or 60 I guess, or an X series that is splittable...I like single coils on neck, never used a bucker on neck anyway, I always swap them for singles or coil tap them...but I might go for Teslas again, they're great sounding too and quite cheap.

Can't see myself making other mods, except in case it turns out to get a lot of use, I might have to put in a fine-tune tailpiece.

BUT there's a snag now...the seller says he can't let it go for 'at least a week' which is OK for now since I would only be able to make a pickup after a week, but...he says his buy of a replacement guitar went south due to a seller who sold the guitar he was getting to another despite they had closed the deal - because he'd gotten an offer of 50€ more...and now he's like, 'I can't sell it before I get a new axe myself, as this is my only one'...and 'I promise to call you as soon as I get another guitar'...which sounds to me like an excuse and he's not willing to sell it after all.

Man that sucks if it's the case, not a lot I can do about it really if that is the case, since I haven't paid for it yet.

Eric
September 17th, 2011, 02:48 PM
No, I don't like 81's that much so if it's gonna be EMG it'll be 85 bridge, not sure of the neck yet, 89 or 60 I guess, or an X series that is splittable...I like single coils on neck, never used a bucker on neck anyway, I always swap them for singles or coil tap them...but I might go for Teslas again, they're great sounding too and quite cheap.
I think the 89 is the only one you can split. The X series is just the same as the original, but with a more 'organic' clean sound -- EMG's answer to SD Blackouts. Interesting about how you only use singles in the neck. I'd try that if I could find a good silent neck single-coil, as I kind of hate hum.

I've personally been mildly interested in the 85/60 combo as a potential pickup combo later down the line.

BUT there's a snag now...the seller says he can't let it go for 'at least a week' which is OK for now since I would only be able to make a pickup after a week, but...he says his buy of a replacement guitar went south due to a seller who sold the guitar he was getting to another despite they had closed the deal - because he'd gotten an offer of 50€ more...and now he's like, 'I can't sell it before I get a new axe myself, as this is my only one'...and 'I promise to call you as soon as I get another guitar'...which sounds to me like an excuse and he's not willing to sell it after all.
Yeah that does not sound encouraging. Seems like this deal might be on life support now, but I guess time is the only way to know for sure. Good luck, Dee.