PDA

View Full Version : Hughes & Kettner Tube Meister quick review

deeaa
September 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Really short, I promise!

Played one of these thru a 2x12" Framus cab yesterday. What a great little amp! It is a bit on the expensive side, considering it does not have a footswitch included in the base price here at least (over 600€) but definitely killer sounds.

When I ordered my EL84-based Ceriatone, EL84-based amps were even rare, but now I've been happy to see so many makers and brands have realized what a terrific base for an amp the little long tube really is. It allows for magnificent, true tube sounds at reasonable levels. But now for the amp itself.

The Meister has a tiny footprint, roughly the size of a Vox Tiny Terror, and comes in a soft carry pouch. Still it packs a huge array of features; it's a full-blown, all tube 18W EL84 amp and as such sounds pretty much just like any 18W clone/Marshall Bluesbreaker - warm unmistakly tubey cleans that break into lush 'british' style overdrive with a soft gradual increase and no harsh overtones or buzz whatsoever.

On clean channel this amp is immediately remiscent of all 18 watters, with perhaps the exception that it is clearly voiced for modern speakers - my Ceria for instance thrives on low-wattage, era-correct Greenbacks etc. but this H&K seems to be made to employ modern speakers like the V30 without getting spikey. So for anyone looking for a sweet EL84 crunch clean this feature alone seems like a very good rendition of what EL84's are all about. You can totally forget the EQ too, this amp sounds great on any EQ setting.

BUT then - which to me is jaw-dropping for an amp the size of a sixpack - there's another channel too, and footswitchable - PLUS a lead boost channel! And it also sounds superb! The drive channel is not just the 18W boosted, it is entirely different sounding, and no less thrilling than the clean channel. Sufficiently modern, a bit reminiscent of the best Blackheart sounds I've played, or Laboga Caiman (both amps I would consider if I had to get a compact new amp), it has that Marshall scream aplenty, but sounds somewhat more sophisticated while retaining a marvellous capacity for squealing over-the top harmonics.

The lead boost channel is also not just a boost; it gives a greatly increased drive, yes, but also quite different a base sound; too driven for me on a quick test, but would seem like a good choice for scorching leads.

Now all this was already getting me drooling and envisioning selling my Ceria and cab and getting this rig...and there's still more! The bloody thing also has an inbuilt attenuator system, so you can play it at 18, 5 or 1W power! AND a RedBox XLR recording out as well. No freaking way!

So, in summary, this amp is probably the best thing to come along that I have tried for a long while indeed. The only thing keeping me from switching to this is the nagging feel that if I now sell my full half-stack rig, I will never ever get another one, and I'd miss playing in front of one. Furthermore. I need to remember my amp is 36W and STILL I sometimes long for a touch more volume with a loud band, and 18W might not make it (althought it might too, with a modern V30 setup). Also I do get just the same sounds from my rig, only with added pedals and such...this little demon could reduce my rig to quarter the size and weight, let me lose most of my pedals, and not compromise on sound a tiny bit. Plus being so small I could carry it along home for even headphone practice or warming up my D/I signals prior the computer.

I need to keep a cool head about this now, I want this amp so bad...so, when you get a chance...do test it. Even if you did not like the type of sounds it produces, at least you'll understand why so many people love El84 amps.

The salesperson said they're releasing a combo with a reverb added as well at some point, which to me sounds like what could be the perfect all-round amp for anyone not needing loads of power.

Looking back now I realize I've written quite a super-positive review, but, well, this thing is nothing short of a miracle in amps to me...not commenting the hefty price or wondering about the longevity of the amp in such small package, but...seems like a killer to me.

deeaa
September 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/images/products/normal/TubeMeister18_head_normal.png

Just checked their website, and there is a combo 10" too, I see, but no verb.

deeaa
September 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPDpDoMB_E&feature=related

deeaa
September 17th, 2011, 10:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-F1DuNsFE&feature=related

Damn, I so wants this amp ;-) LOL

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Wow, that is a great sounding amp. I was not aware of it, thanks for posting.

Lots of cool features as well.

It looks like the head is going to be $600 here in the US, not bad considering Carvin and Mesa have similar products (but with many more features) that run about $700 and $900 respectively.

Tig
September 18th, 2011, 01:23 PM
When I first read the spec's in a magazine ad, this amp appeared intriguing. I know I won't be able afford it, but sure wanted to see what it is like.
:drool
Your review confirms that is lives up to it's potential. Nice job!

Eric
September 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Cool. It seems there are loads of good options out there these days for anyone wanting nearly any sort of setup for their guitar. Thanks for the review!