PDA

View Full Version : slide-lead duo over bt

helliott
September 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Working on making my slide playing fit more smoothly into regular lead, and struggling. Here's a bt with a mix of the two. Not terrible, but ... Anyone have advice on switching back and forth smoothly in the same song, without having to take slide on and off?

http://www.box.net/shared/giill18m7a9hf303o0nr

piebaldpython
September 19th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Uh......what's wrong with what you came up with?? Sounds good to me. I'd like to see a video of you playing this. I like it more after a second listen. Damn, really fine slide playing

But....to answer your question. Click on the link below, it's Kirk Lorange's website. He's probably the best at alternating fretted and slide notes. Click on "watch some videos" and have fun.
http://www.bottleneckguitar.com/

Jipes
September 20th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Working on making my slide playing fit more smoothly into regular lead, and struggling. Here's a bt with a mix of the two. Not terrible, but ... Anyone have advice on switching back and forth smoothly in the same song, without having to take slide on and off?

http://www.box.net/shared/giill18m7a9hf303o0nr

Some companies offer a partial bottleneck which can be just turned on the finger and liberate so that you can fret as well.

For alternating one of the artist which does quite an intricate mix of sliding vs fretting is Mike Henderson

helliott
September 20th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the tips. Might try one of those half slide things that turn around. Seems whatever finger I use, the slide gets in the way of something or other. BTW -- realize I forgot to post the BT. Will do that in appropriate thread tonight.

helliott
September 20th, 2011, 06:14 PM
just posted the backer next door in the bt thread

SuperSwede
September 23rd, 2011, 08:20 AM
Ohh thats a nice recording Helliot!! Love that amph sound! :)

helliott
September 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Swede. Amph's a customized setting on the Pod 500. Starting with the factory preset Lenny's Shadows and messing with it on a bunch of fronts. |Of course, me being me, I goofed with it till I liked it and didn't save it. Dohh

helliott
September 23rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Pie. Sadly, don't have video capacity that will capture decent audio. I think I'm close to settling on one thing -- slide on the pinkie. Less control on damping behind the slide, but more freedom for other fingers. Also trying the thing where you damp in front of the slide too. Man, that's hard.

piebaldpython
September 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Also trying the thing where you damp in front of the slide too. Man, that's hard.

What do you mean "ahead of the slide"???? You mean with the picking hand? No fingers left on your sliding hand to damp AHEAD of the slide if you're sliding off the pinky! lol

helliott
September 23rd, 2011, 09:12 PM
Yes, exactly. Ahead of the slide in this case means using your picking hand. You damp strings with fingers not picking the string where the slide is. Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks and I'm sure many others do it all the time. Lots of reading and demos on it. Check them out.

piebaldpython
September 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM
OK, was just making sure. lol I work on that too and it's tough to pick with a middle finger and keep the others on the strings at the same time....let alone doing it at speed. Take your time with it, it will come slowly but surely and then all of the sudden, it's there in spades. I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Check out David Hamburger on YouTube as he has a vid on this. I'll see if I can find it later. Kirk Lorange has vids on it too, clearly showing his picking hand doing this.

And, if you want to play Sonny Landreth stuff, this ability is a pre-requisite.

helliott
September 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I doubt I'll get to being ready to try Sonny, but the right-hand muting is a worthwhile thing to work on. Gonna take ages to get nimble enough to do it in a live show, for me anyway.