PDA

View Full Version : Egnater Tweaker / Lunch Box Amps in General

AudioWonderland
September 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Way back when I gave the lunch box amps a first go when I picked up a n Epiphone Jr head. I like the idea of lower wattage and more crank with less volume. To be honest I was disappointed. It was so stripped down to meet a price point that it was useless. How much did they really save by omitting a 3 band eq? Basically it was a love it or leave it deal. I decided to leave it and went back to my regular amps. Since I still had to deal with volume issues either way the Marshalls were the obvious choice.

A few years later I notice the Blackheart amps. Supposedly by the same designer as the jr but with an EQ section. A step in the right direction but not enough. I understand hitting a price point but in some cases being as cheap as humanly possible is not always the correct answer.

Then came the current generation of Lunchbox amps. The Egnater Tweaker 15 is what I have so that is what I will speak to. Effects loop and master volume. Mini toggle on the preamp control to expand its range from squeaky clean to a roar. 3 band eq plus 4 mini toggles to further adjust EQ options. Cathode based so various power tubes can be used for even more tone tweaking. 4/8/16 ohm speaker taps so it will work with about any speaker setup And oh yes, sounds fantastic

This is what I wanted back when I bought the Jr. It is very flexible in the tones it can produce and its reasonable in the amount of power it has.

The vast majority of my playing is writing/practicing and recording. AS much as I love my Superlead its only practical turned way down with a dirt pedal and I have used it that way for years. The Tweaker now lets me get some power tube grind back in the sound and is flexible enough that I don't need to change amps to get a clean sound I like.

This is the solution I have been looking for and the modelers have been trying to provide. The amp guys finally figured out there is a market for flexible low power amps and I for one am happy they did

Brian Johnston
September 20th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I bought the Egnater Rebel-30 for similar reasons... a very diverse head. Not as much EQ function as the Tweaker (bass and treble on the clean channel), but it's easy to dial in to what you want. And with the tube mix (between EL84 and 6V6), there are good tonal variations. What really sold me is the 'silent record' switch, which allows me to go direct to a mixer. I have an Orange 12-inch cab, but never use it. I go direct to the mixer and out to two KRK studio monitors, which give me a more true sound of what I'm recording.

marnold
September 20th, 2011, 02:36 PM
My Jet City is probably too big to be classified as a lunchbox amph, but it definitely fits the bill for big Marshall tone while still maintaining my hearing.

Tig
September 20th, 2011, 09:20 PM
The tonal flexibility and overall great sound without massive volume is why I love my Tweaker 15.

It satisfies my needs quite a bit for a tube amp.

kiteman
September 28th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I luv my Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack. :dance

15 watt tube power, 3 band EQ and master volume are what makes it sweet. Oh yea, old stock tubes too.

Takes my pedals very well.

NWBasser
September 30th, 2011, 03:41 PM
These tiny tube amphs are a wonderful development.

I think they are a real treat for guitarists.

However, with so many models coming on the market, choosing one can be daunting!

Eric
September 30th, 2011, 03:47 PM
These tiny tube amphs are a wonderful development.

I think they are a real treat for guitarists.

However, with so many models coming on the market, choosing one can be daunting!
I agree. I feel the same way about the new wave of modelers. Instead of bickering about which one is the best a la The Gear Page, I feel like we're lucky to have so many great options at relatively reasonable prices these days.

Katastrophe
September 30th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I agree. I feel the same way about the new wave of modelers. Instead of bickering about which one is the best a la The Gear Page, I feel like we're lucky to have so many great options at relatively reasonable prices these days.

Well said, NWB and Eric. Manufacturers are starting to realize that the vast, overwhelming majority of guitar players play at home, and not in a band. Also, home players want tone, but don't want to shell out a ton of money to get it.

This is a good thing, and I'm glad for the choices!

NWBasser
September 30th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Well said, NWB and Eric. Manufacturers are starting to realize that the vast, overwhelming majority of guitar players play at home, and not in a band. Also, home players want tone, but don't want to shell out a ton of money to get it.

This is a good thing, and I'm glad for the choices!

They make for wonderful recording applications too.

The 15 to 20 watt models would probably work fine in a band situation if mic'd up. That should be enough volume for stage monitoring purposes with a good cab that is well-positioned.

I may eventually sell my H&K combo to get a lunchbox and cab.

With so many to choose from, I will have to spend much time playing through as many as I can find. Oh, how horrible! ;-)

BTW - At this point, it seems the Tweaker would be towards the front of the line.

Tig
September 30th, 2011, 06:35 PM
BTW - At this point, it seems the Tweaker would be towards the front of the line.

While I can find no weakness with my Tweaker, this might be the choice lunchbox amp...

http://guitarplayernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/TubeMeister-Head.jpg

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=142&prod=TubeMeister%2018%20Head

Katastrophe
October 1st, 2011, 08:29 AM
For those that don't have a Tweaker (like me)... Here's a cool vid of a Tweaker and a Strat. I'm impressed with the sound of these amphs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAddMaEc_yY&feature=related

NWBasser
October 1st, 2011, 07:02 PM
While I can find no weakness with my Tweaker, this might be the choice lunchbox amp...

http://guitarplayernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/TubeMeister-Head.jpg

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=142&prod=TubeMeister%2018%20Head

That's a pretty amph.

There's some guy from this band called Rash or something like that that uses an H&K, but a bigger one.

Or maybe not. Maybe it's really smaller but just looks big because it's projected on a big screen behind him when he plays.

I guess what it really comes down to on these things is whether or not it will give screaming soloes.

deeaa
October 1st, 2011, 09:55 PM
Ayuh, I just briefly reviewed the Tubemeister here too...indeed a very nice amph!