PDA

View Full Version : FAD! (Free amph day)!

FrankenFretter
September 20th, 2011, 08:23 PM
At work today, I spotted this in a "Free" pile in an apartment complex. I figured it was a couple who were fighting, so I'd give them a chance to make up, or whatever and take a look later. I did the job I was there to do, which took about 40 minutes. I swung back by, and lo and behold, it was still there. Looks like it was meant to be. I figured it probably wouldn't work, but maybe I could salvage parts, or at least use it as a speaker cab. Got it home, and it actually works! The clean channel volume is wonky, probably just needs some DeOxit in the pot or something, but other than that, it seems to work fine. Even the reverb works! Can't beat FREE!!!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2b8EDUr3EPg/Tnk_DduRcVI/AAAAAAAABM4/_HMRlSvLgsc/s800/Fender%2520Princeton.jpg

Eric
September 20th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Nice! HNFAD!

Katastrophe
September 20th, 2011, 08:39 PM
That's awesome! What's the tone like on that bad boy?

I'm waiting for someone in my apartment complex to set an old Marshall Plexi outside with a "Free" sign on it. If it was accompanied by a Strat or an old Les Paul, so much the better. Not that I'm picky or anything.

FrankenFretter
September 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM
That's awesome! What's the tone like on that bad boy?

I'm waiting for someone in my apartment complex to set an old Marshall Plexi outside with a "Free" sign on it. If it was accompanied by a Strat or an old Les Paul, so much the better. Not that I'm picky or anything.

I would describe the tone as very bright, and not much bottom end. True Blackface tone, I guess. The clean channel has what is probably that stereotypical "glassy" clean sound. It's not bad, just different than my other amphs. As my brother said, it'll probably sound great with my Tele (if I ever finish it).

Tig
September 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Yeee-haaa! Good free find!
It is hard to beat free and mostly working. :dance

Ch0jin
September 20th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Wow cool score! Is that a transistor model or toobs?

FrankenFretter
September 20th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Wow cool score! Is that a transistor model or toobs?

It's solid state, unfortunately. But...again...free!

Spudman
September 21st, 2011, 07:55 AM
I used one of those at a gig one time. You described it very well. Bright and clean without much bottom...which is perfect for some things. It's great to get a free working amph.

bigoldron
September 21st, 2011, 10:33 AM
Nice score there, Frank. Especially hard to beat FREE!!! :dude :happy :thumbsup

NWBasser
September 21st, 2011, 03:27 PM
The lead guitarist in my band uses one of these.

It would be far too bright for my tastes, but in a band situation with bass filling out the low-end it works out fine.

Congrats on the score Sean!

msteeln
September 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
I might be able to top the little free Fender with a free/working 70s era 2x12 Haynes (SS), also left on the sidewalk, which I too waited to collect. But you have your's, and my Haynes went elsewhere long ago, so even tho they are both less than stellar players, you take the flag. Congrats!

FrankenFretter
September 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
I'm wondering if there's a way I can put my vintage Heppner speaker in this. It's only rated at 25 watts or so (as far as I can tell from my research), so I'd be worried about blowing it. Is there a way to remedy this? Anyone?

mapka
September 23rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
Nice Fender amp Sean! Like you said anything that works and is free is cool, but its even better that it is a name brand amp! Too bad your not closer, would love to hear my Telie through it! :)

NWBasser
September 23rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
I'm wondering if there's a way I can put my vintage Heppner speaker in this. It's only rated at 25 watts or so (as far as I can tell from my research), so I'd be worried about blowing it. Is there a way to remedy this? Anyone?

I'd do it. As long as you're not cranking it, should be fine. What did the Heppner cost?

At least with bass speakers, you can listen for distortion as a signal that the driver is reaching its limits. Not very effective for already-distorted guitar signal though.

My guess is that the 25-watt rating is probably continuous and it could take larger peaks occasionally.

I doubt you'd be playing it very loudly.

FrankenFretter
September 23rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Nice Fender amp Sean! Like you said anything that works and is free is cool, but its even better that it is a name brand amp! Too bad your not closer, would love to hear my Telie through it! :)

Thanks, Mark. Feel free to stop by anytime you're in my neck of the woods!

I'd do it. As long as you're not cranking it, should be fine. What did the Heppner cost?

At least with bass speakers, you can listen for distortion as a signal that the driver is reaching its limits. Not very effective for already-distorted guitar signal though.

My guess is that the 25-watt rating is probably continuous and it could take larger peaks occasionally.

I doubt you'd be playing it very loudly.

The speaker wasn't much, maybe $30 or something. My thoughts behind this action would be that it would take some of that ice-pickiness out of the sound, and round off the tone a bit for a more "vintage" sound. Then again, I may just try to fix that Normal Channel volume and sell it.