PDA

View Full Version : What amp(h) am I describing?

Radioboy950
September 22nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Looking for a combo that stays nice & clean at higher volumes...and serves as a great platform for pedals.
Don't need excessive channels, knobs, switches and tweaks for tone shaping.
I've always loved the big "sound stage" of 6L6s.
Need enough wattage for gigs, practicing, recording, home use, etc.
New @ $1500 or less, but would shop the used market too.

The amph that comes to mind is a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb.
For those who use this amp, is everything good out of the box, or am a looking at a speaker change?

Open to suggestions.

duhvoodooman
September 22nd, 2011, 06:05 PM
The '65 Deluxe Reverb RI will have 6V6 tubes, not the bigger 6L6's. You might want to consider the Custom Vibrolux Reverb (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0215100000) instead--2x6L6's, 40W, 2x10" Jensen alnico speakers. More headroom, more volume, punchier bass. $1200 pretty much everywhere.

deeaa
September 22nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
Are you looking to use overdrive pedals or pretty much clean all the way?

Because I'd say that if an amp stays totally clean at high volumes, it's not the best to take pedals IMO (at least OD pedals that is). The best in staying clean respect I ever had was an Ampeg Vt22 - insanely pristine cleans - but any pedal over it sounded like what they are, clipping diodes. A TubeWorks tube preamp however worked really well for it.

Kinda the same with my Fender 100W amps, I had a few...never really liked the way they took OD pedals either, it always sounded like an OD pedal in front...except the red-knob twin in 25W mode was really great in that respect. The only Fender amp I wish I still had. The DeVille 2x12" was OK after I used not only OD pedal but also an EMG booster so I did get the amp to break up just a little before the OD pedal.

It is likely just a matter of taste, but I think an OD pedal sounds the best in front of an amp it can actually overload some, not an amp that stays clean no matter what...they sound a bit akin to pluggin the pedal to your home stereo, not natural.

Radioboy950
September 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
Vood--Thanks for the clarification. I'm not against 6V6s at all, but they break up sooner. So, maybe it's just a matter of adequate wattage (?)

deeaa--Yeah, I'd like to fiddle around with an overdrive pedal in front.
Don't need pristine clean all the way up the dial...just SOME headroom before the amp breaks up.

deeaa
September 23rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Well any 100W amp and particularly Fenders have done just that 4 me...only, I always wished for a little earlier breakup. Hence my love affair with EL84 amphs.

oldguy
September 24th, 2011, 06:39 AM
You might take a look at the Ceriatone OTS. 6L6's in either 50 or 100 watts, and combo versions as well as head only, your choice.
This is Nik Azam's take on the Dumble, which was similar to the Fender blackface, nice clean tones. Plus an OD channel and a boost switch.
http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/OTS%20Series/OTSMain.htm

There are several places building the kits here in the U.S. now if you don't want to order from Nik in Maylasia. I had absolutely no problems ordering direct from him, however, so I think you'd be safe there.

deeaa bought a Ceriatone, and he can vouch for the build quality. Hand wired, ptp, and neatly done.

deeaa
September 24th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Yep the Ceria is indeed very nicely done & quality components thru and thru. The only thing that could be improved on, really, would be the chassis box - it's just your generic, good-looking Marshall type chassis but not very thick/strong plywood I think, let alone proper dovetail joints or support bars - I'd say it's clearly of lesser quality than Marshall etc. although gets the job done and looks good as any. But I do believe that pretty much all DIY amp kits and small builders use the same boxes. But hey, it's around 1/3rd the price of a handbuilt Marshall too, so there has to be something.

I haven't really looked how current Marshall head cabinets are made but they're more robust I'm sure.