PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a memory foam mattress?

Spudman
September 22nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Just curious what you think of it. I'm considering one but I'm not all that heavy (+ or - 150 lb) and from what I hear it takes some weight to get the bed to conform. I don't know too much about them and was hoping someone here has some experience with them.

deeaa
September 23rd, 2011, 02:16 AM
Me too...I do have a pillow from the stuff, actually two...one inexpensive one which is way too soft, and one that is much tougher, so they're not all equal it seems. However I like neither, I like a regular soft pillow.

I would be interested to try the mattress, but I have some doubts as it seems to me the material might restrict turning around and moving some, and I do, quite a lot....I fear it could feel somewhat limiting or pushing against me when switching sides etc. I have back pains now and then after slipping a disc in '97 when lifting a PA cabinet in awkward position so I need a good bed.

Algonquin
September 23rd, 2011, 06:36 AM
Looked into them about a year or so ago, but ended up with a standard everday mattress when all was said and done.

Heard a bit better reviews on Latex over Memory Foam... but there is a $$$ difference between the two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz-qFEvFFfg

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Is that the kind that bends with buttons on it so you can sit up in bed? Do you have "The Clapper" installed in your room too? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfgN5tUgjb8

But no, I have not tried one. I like a firmer mattress with a pillow top.

Retro Hound
September 23rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
When my wife hurt her back a few years ago we used our tax return to buy a Temper-Pedic. We are both pretty light, she's only about 110 lbs and I'm about 150. We love it. They sleep a little hotter than a regular mattress, but that hasn't been a problem for us. You don't really "sink in," it just sinks a bit. There are less dense mattresses and denser than the one we got.

We also had one from Wal-Mart that my in-laws bought for us to keep under the bed for when they come visit. The first one we had for several years before it started disintegrating, was much looser and "sinky." The one we just bought last year at Wal-Mart is much denser and less "sinky." Hope this helps.

deeaa
September 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
My gut feeling is that a really good spring-loaded mattress with varying spring tensions in different areas and selected and sized to be correct for the person using it are the very best.

FrankenFretter
September 23rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
I have a memory foam pad on my mattress. I like it, but I have been experiencing a lot of back pain when I wake up in the morning in the last couple years. I don't know that the pad has anything to do with it or not. We bought a "budget" mattress a couple years ago that's under the pad, and that might be the problem. I think this year's tax return will go toward a better mattress. We've been talking about getting a memory foam mattress, but as of now we're undecided.

Tig
September 23rd, 2011, 09:34 PM
I don't like sweating in bed, so a memory foam is out of the question. They really insulate your body, which might be great if you live where it is always cold.

We have a fairly thin pillow top now, and I've had a few thicker ones in the past. I'll go back to a regular thickness, non-pillow top that is made well next time around. I find firmer prevents back pain. YMMV

Spudman
September 23rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
I like to sleep cool too. That's one of my concerns about the foam mattress. If I get too warm I just don't sleep. I had a dense futon mattress that I've gotten the best sleep of my life from but an ex-girlfriend made me get rid of it. :madI like a firm sleep too but have always wondered what the foam would be like. I don't even know anyone locally to ask what it's like or try theirs. I'm a little leery of plopping down several Benjamins to find out that I don't like it. It's not like a guitar that I could just flip on Ebay ya know.:socool All I know is that my current mattress is pretty well worn out.:applause

Bookkeeper's Son
September 24th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Well, Tempur-Pedic has a 90-day trial thingy, and so do many retailers. Best to have some recourse if it's not the right thing for you. BTW, the wife and I did check one out at a store and were really impressed. I've also tried latex, which is nice but expensive. I understand that one of the attractions of latex is longevity. Different feel than memory foam, though.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/shopping-with-us/ninety-night-tryout.asp

Robert
September 24th, 2011, 04:29 AM
We use a King Koil - http://www.comfortsolutions.com/mattress-products/king-koil.html

It's pretty nice. Not very soft, but good support and I sleep like a log on this thing.