PDA

View Full Version : If you could move anywhere, where would you go?

Katastrophe
September 26th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Well?

The only rule for this little exercise is there are no rules.

Just curious.

Eric
September 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Dag. My first question was going to be whether you had to actually live your life or not (i.e. if you had to have a job, etc.). I've run through this many times, but I always forget the answer, which I suppose make for good replay value.

I think it'd be on a lake somewhere north or west of here where it gets cold and the people are relaxed. I'm not that picky.

Spudman
September 26th, 2011, 04:03 PM
South of France, maybe Monaco, for me. Lots of money, hot rich babes and riding my bicycle in France. What could be better?

poodlesrule
September 26th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Half of the year on Nob Hill, San Francisco.
The other half in a beach cottage in Bali.
Am I allowed a side trip to Paris, in between?

Katastrophe
September 26th, 2011, 05:48 PM
You're allowed to go anywhere you want! Just let your imagination run free for a while.

Me? I'd like to go someplace with mountains, cool mornings and occasional snow. I can deal with warm summers, but I'd like four real seasons.

marnold
September 26th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Electric Ladyland . . . or a Spanish castle, perhaps.

Eric
September 26th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Me? I'd like to go someplace with mountains, cool mornings and occasional snow. I can deal with warm summers, but I'd like four real seasons.
You and I think alike. Those are pretty much the things I like too, and I always waver between mountains and water. Water (river or lake) usually wins out for me in these theoretical conversations, but I'd be pretty happy with your pick too.

Aw heck -- I'm pretty happy right now anyway...

Tig
September 26th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I'd move in next door to Spudman, so I can borrow some of his guitars and amphs! :poke

Picking a place is similar to picking a favorite group/musician/album. It can't be too tsunami/earthquake prone. A government that is stable and the people are somewhat happy with their country. Not crowded, but big enough to have a decent hospital. Four real seasons are nice, but I could live with more Fall and Spring and less Winter and Summer. Warm enough to swim in at least half of the year.

I really enjoyed the coastal areas of the Mediterranean, so that opens up a wide array of choices. Mountains are always idyllic. An area that has great food, heavenly views, yet layed back...

Deia, Majorca
Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France
Gaiole in Chianti, Italy

mapka
September 26th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Without cash.. Somewhere warm so my refrigerator box would not need insulation in the wintertime. With cash... Home where I live now (not bad area), a place in Florence Italy (been there and loved it) and a place in Russia (dig the people and culture) or Germany.

sunvalleylaw
September 26th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I like where I live right now. I guess I would just like to also have a place on the beach in puget sound. I would love a tropical island experience, but that can be for vacations and sabbaticals.

deeaa
September 26th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I would not move very easily, but if I had an unlimited budget I'd probably build a house/studio a bit closer to the town I went to University in, because I have so many good friends there.

Katastrophe
September 27th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Electric Ladyland . . . or a Spanish castle, perhaps.

Yes, but some castles made of sand slip into the sea... eventually.

R_of_G
September 27th, 2011, 07:02 AM
The Lower East Side of Manhattan.

piebaldpython
September 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM
A no brainer........somewhere between San Diego and Oceanside with as far east as Escondido. Love that area and it's overall weather. South of France may be OK too.

I needs me lots of SUN without being roasted/toasted (like in Phoenix). lol

NWBasser
September 27th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I have similar tastes to Kat.

I'd probably choose either the Methow Valley of Washington or live next to Steve in Sun Valley. Both have excellent mountain biking and hiking.

Poor Steve would be woken up early on weekends to the sound of a rumbling bass!:poke

Tig
September 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM
A no brainer........somewhere between San Diego and Oceanside with as far east as Escondido. Love that area and it's overall weather. South of France may be OK too.

I enjoyed the Del Mar and Torrey Pines area when visiting my former company's HQ. A wonderful place!

sunvalleylaw
September 27th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I have similar tastes to Kat.

I'd probably choose either the Methow Valley of Washington or live next to Steve in Sun Valley. Both have excellent mountain biking and hiking.

Poor Steve would be woken up early on weekends to the sound of a rumbling bass!:poke

Hey, we would just need to find a drummer and we could rock! We could use one other guitarist but they are easy to find. SV reminds me a bit of Methow Valley, particularly around Sun Mountain Lodge. The MTB scene is really coming on over here with festivals, new trails, purpose designed flow trails with features (a very big deal), cross races, the national MTB championships this year, and it just keeps coming. Methow is great, and we considered the Wenatchee area, but there is more going on in SV. Big cities are closer to Methow, but for daily consumption, this is a better pick IMHO. So when you moving? ;)

NWBasser
September 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Hey, we would just need to find a drummer and we could rock! We could use one other guitarist but they are easy to find. SV reminds me a bit of Methow Valley, particularly around Sun Mountain Lodge. The MTB scene is really coming on over here with festivals, new trails, purpose designed flow trails with features (a very big deal), cross races, the national MTB championships this year, and it just keeps coming. Methow is great, and we considered the Wenatchee area, but there is more going on in SV. Big cities are closer to Methow, but for daily consumption, this is a better pick IMHO. So when you moving? ;)

I'm packing, I'm packing!!

Tig
September 27th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I'm packing, I'm packing!!

Bring beer.

Spudman
September 28th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Bring beer.

Better yet, bring money. It's not a cheap place to live.

Jipes
September 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM
If I could I would move to New Orleans I always loved that city since my first visit in 1999, for a musician it's helluvah time specially around Jazz Fest time. In addition I love the bayou and the great Cajun food

R_of_G
September 28th, 2011, 09:18 AM
If I could I would move to New Orleans I always loved that city since my first visit in 1999, for a musician it's helluvah time specially around Jazz Fest time. In addition I love the bayou and the great Cajun food

New Orleans and Austin, TX are the next two choices on my list after NYC.
The element that ties all my choices together are that all three are places which would allow me to see great live music pretty much any time I want.

NWBasser
September 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Better yet, bring money. It's not a cheap place to live.

Fortunately, for this little excercise in fantasy, that's not a consideration.

The reality of the cost of living in SV is why I'm not there now. Well, that and the unlikelihood of environmental consulting positions in that area.

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM
It's about the same as Seattle overall. But that is a lot more than it is in Spudville (aka Pocatello). And Seattle is higher than Tacoma, and a lot of the other outlying I-5 corridor up in WA.

NWBasser
September 28th, 2011, 06:09 PM
It's about the same as Seattle overall. But that is a lot more than it is in Spudville (aka Pocatello). And Seattle is higher than Tacoma, and a lot of the other outlying I-5 corridor up in WA.

Cool.

I hope you don't mind a neighbor with rusting appliances in the yard and the Winnebego up on blocks.:poke

Oh, and I hope SV has a liberal policy on keeping livestock in the city limits.

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM
In Hailey, 12 miles south where I actually live, chickens are cool. In the city limits. I live in the county, and if you have an acre, you are in for horses, etc. And if you don't bug my about my car projects, I won't mention yours. ;)