PDA

View Full Version : I really like last.fm

Katastrophe
September 27th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Have any of you used it? It's a music service that comes along with the XBox Live membership. Anyway, it's a music service where you can set up your own playlist, or enter an artist and the service will determine similar artists to the one you chose. I know there are tons of services like this on the net, but it's way handy to have music in the background out of the TV.

I'm amazed with the selection. So far, I've listened to:

John 5 and Rob Zombie

Paul Gilbert

Buckethead (beautiful acoustic instrumental)

Jim Campilongo

Greg Koch

Jimmy Thackery (never heard of him before today, but he's tearing it up on a blues instrumental)

The cool thing about it is that if you don't like the tune that's on, you can skip it or delete it from the playlist. Instead of videos, pictures of the artist are played in slideshow fashion.

Way cool. Carl Verheyen is playing now.

Tig
September 27th, 2011, 07:16 PM
My son might dig that. The Xbox is in his room.

Ch0jin
September 27th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Wow, I've been a last.fm guy for maybe 5-6 years now but I never knew about any xbox connection. It just "scrobbles" anything I play on my iphone or ipod and uploads it. I then from time to time check out my top ten lists and see how much my music taste actually differs from what I think it is ;)

I can't access it here @ work, but I'll post up my ID when I get home if you wanna last.fm "friend" me. It's a terrific way to discover new music.

Oh and I have an xbox so I should check out that aspect too (If I can stop playing GoW3)

player
September 27th, 2011, 09:48 PM
been doing last.fm scene for awhile now too.you just cannot beat the music on it.some new,some old but all good.would not know about an xbox here nor intend to.

Eric
September 28th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Ch0jin and I are friends on last.fm I think. I haven't used it in some time, and I don't even think I've been scrobbling much for the last year or two, as I couldn't get the updating to work properly in some linux apps and didn't care enough to figure it out. I should get back into it. Here's my profile: http://www.last.fm/user/eds6654

Ch0jin
September 28th, 2011, 01:49 AM
....and as promised, here I am... http://www.last.fm/user/TehCh0jiN

Oh and yes, Eric is a last.fm friend from quite a while back :)

Retro Hound
September 28th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I'm on last.fm and pandora, but rarely go to them. Now I'm on a new one called Spotify. Spotify isn't really a radio, but you can look up artists and albums and listen to them, which is nice. I'm not as impressed as many of my friends, but I have more particular taste and there's a lot they don't have yet. I listen to Wolfgang's Vault a lot, it has concerts back to the 1960s.