PDA

View Full Version : Blackstar 4x8 speaker cab

kiteman
September 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Anyone have one? What do ya think?

I read a review from a carvinite who said that it's terrific and he's buying another one. I went on to Youtube and saw the Tube King's review on it. Very impressive and I'm thinking about getting one to replace my BH 1x12 cab. It's for my Blackheart Handsome Devil head.

FrankenFretter
September 28th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I actually thought about making a 4 x 8" a while back. It seemed like a compact and inexpensive way to have a 4 x something. If you do get one, I'd love to hear a review.

kiteman
September 29th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Will do. :)

Katastrophe
September 29th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Here's a demo from Chappers, along with assorted hijinks. Even with the dreaded YouTube compression, it sounds great to my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSDsUw4Sc4

I'd be interested in your thoughts as well, Kiteman.

kiteman
September 29th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I saw that one. :)

Did you see the Tube King's demo? He opened it up and showed the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcMT67VFy1Y

kiteman
October 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM
I got the money and I was waiting for MF's discount deals but they're out and their shipment dates' been moved up. Hell, I'm not going to wait so I went to Sweetwater and they have it in stock. I ordered it and now the waiting game begins. :)

FrankenFretter
October 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM
I got the money and I was waiting for MF's discount deals but they're out and their shipment dates' been moved up. Hell, I'm not going to wait so I went to Sweetwater and they have it in stock. I ordered it and now the waiting game begins. :)

I've done business with Sweetwater, and they seem to be a good company. I'm really looking forward to hearing your review, because I'm thinking about getting one for my Blackstar HT-5.

kiteman
October 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
They're damn good company. MF's a good company too and I usually go there first to take advantage of deals and discounts but I'm glad there's Sweetwater. :)

By the way, the cab's made for your HT-5 (hint hint). :D

kiteman
October 6th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Ok, it's in and I haven't played much but just to check it out. First thing it's mid-rangy and that to be expected since they're 8". The bass is there but not deep like my 1x12. Under distortion think ACDC but clean it's sweet. I haven't made any changes to my amp EQ and the pedal. I left them like it is for comparison.

Also my 1x12 cab is 16ohm and the 4x8 is 8ohm so their was a volume difference on my amp (it has multi-tabs). I had to turn up my amp to bring the volume up but it was from one notch to next. Then again I don't play very loud in the house.

I like it but you may not as it's a matter of taste. Probably needs time to crank up and break in so I'll get a better impression of it.

I'd like to know who made the speakers though.

Zip
October 6th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I'd like to know who made the speakers though.

Jenson owns the Blackbird name, so....yeah...

kiteman
October 6th, 2011, 06:38 PM
They're Jensen speakers ??

FrankenFretter
October 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Well, I already have midrangey. My 2x12 has vintage alnico Rolas, and it's quite midrangey. Think I'll pass on the 4x8. Hope it works out for you!

kiteman
October 7th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I jammed on it this morning and the speakers are loosening up and I got more volume. They must have been pretty stiff but man, they're sounding good now. The bass is evident and the clean is crystal.

Yep, I'm gonna like this cab. 8)

FrankenFretter
October 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Is it open or closed back? I can't find any pics of the back.

kiteman
October 7th, 2011, 11:30 AM
It's closed. Sweetwater have a good set of pics. Just mouse over the pics.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HT408

FrankenFretter
October 7th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Now I'm tempted again. None of my cabs are closed-back, and I prefer that in a cab. I've thought about making some panels to close in my existing cabs, but they weren't really made to be closed, hence no ports or baffles.

kiteman
October 7th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Not all closed back cabs are ported so go for it. :)

kiteman
October 9th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Hmm... these speakers are pretty sensitive for a 15 watt tube amp. I can hear my mistakes too prominently. My 1x12 is more forgiving for me. :thwap

I guess they're meant for lower wattage amps like the HT-5 so I'll get better 8" speakers (higher wattage) in the near future.

What 8" speakers y'all have experiences with? What would y'all suggest? It's really a cool cab and I want to keep it.

FrankenFretter
October 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM
The Jensen Mods are pretty good. Cheap, too.

kiteman
October 10th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Those are the same wattage but I found this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/jensen-c8r-25w-8-replacement-speaker

I think those would be better.

kiteman
October 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Say guys, how long does it takes to break in the speakers? I cranked it up good and they sound really good. Later as I played again at my usual volume they were sounding better. Maybe I won't need to replace 'em.

Spudman
October 12th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I've had a few new speakers that just kept sounding better the more I used them. It took a few weeks of hard playing at gig volume for them to really come around.

kiteman
October 12th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Ah, guess I got some work cut out for me. :)

FrankenFretter
May 20th, 2012, 09:18 PM
How is that cab treating your, Kiteman? I see there's a used one at GC for only $149. Are you still liking it?