PDA

View Full Version : Yep, there is NO difference between guitar sounds...(actives vs. passive pickups)

deeaa
September 30th, 2011, 10:50 AM
In a moment I'm posting a direct comparison video with my EMG85-bridge strat and the SG w/passive Dirty Fingers thru my Ceriatone & OD pedal, very straightforward no-computer-chips setup.

At some points I swear in blind test, you could not tell which is which, the sound is so similar. Which should be even more amazing considering the other is a strat with a floating trem and bolt-on & active, and the other a set-neck, hardtail tilt-constructed passive guitar!

Just goes to show how little the differences between electric guitars really are, even when played thru a super simple p-t-p all tube amp and a simple overdrive pedal - always with the exact same settings, just changing the guitar...and then they tell me simply changing from one passive PU to another similar one makes a helluva difference - well I'll say it's all in your head, I seem to sound just the same even with so hugely different guitars (which just confirms my earlier findings; I can't much see any huge, real sonic differences between one electric and another).

But even though the sound remains the same, in some respects the difference is clear; the passives are much dirtier and louder, more metal, especially for cleans, which indeed become 'cleans' and also they are clearly less defined in lower sounds and chords, as well as prone to starting to squeal badly at higher drive levels. The EMG's sound much more refined, and are easier to play & sound good while at it.

BUT the passives, on the other hand, seem to also have a little warmer and rounder highs in leads, and by adjusting the playing style, allow for more 'Zakk Wylde' type screams and such and singing leads with more volume. The difference isn't huge, but nevertheless they are indeed a touch more lively for lead playing, both in good and bad. It is however very debatable if the more singing quality is more due to NOT being a floating-trem axe than the actual pickups...or the mahogany vs. maple and alder...A-HA!

SO for real world use, on stage and studio, I'd still definitely go for EMG85...they won't squeal on you, and they'll always have superb clarity when need be, but can be just as soulful and raunchy as passives too.

And truly there seems to be no significance in what kind of pickups you select, based on this test as well as my previous experience. Yep, it's all in your heads, the effect of woods and such...it's of no matter.

I'll post the comparison video on YouTube soon enough...

Bookkeeper's Son
September 30th, 2011, 11:04 AM
It's quite refreshing to see a non-delusional gear report, for a change.

deeaa
September 30th, 2011, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YHqx3IejyQ

Eric
September 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I haven't made it all the way through the video, but it seems to me (on laptop speakers, mind you) that the SG is significantly dirtier, at least in the earlier portions of the video. Knowing you, I would think that the raunchier tone would be something you'd like. Anyway, intereting thoughts.

mapka
September 30th, 2011, 01:31 PM
There is guitar playing in that video? Sorry I was distracted by the background! :-)

deeaa
September 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Yep, it's dirtier especially with the cleans...the more drive there is, the less the difference.

I do like a dirty sound, but not too dirty. That's why I like actives; they get dirty but still retain string to string clarity. If it's too dirty, it's OK too but it requires playing with more damping and with less use of all chords.

Eric
September 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I finished listening to the demo and yeah they sound almost identical at higher gain settings. Pretty remarkable given my experience with actives, where they seemed to be so much higher output than anything else I had tried. That was a pretty comprehensive comparison -- nice work!

Commodore 64
October 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm tending towards youroutlook, deeaa. I certainly think that the amp makes a much greater difference than swapping pickups.

deeaa
October 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Getting back to this a little, now that I've used the Dirty Fingers more, I have to say that I do prefer the EMG's. They just sound better; there's no fizz that can happen with the DF's, they don't squeal or feedback ugly, and they are much warmer and full-spectrum when played thru Amplitube on D/I. Yes the DF's are loud enough, but they don't have the fullarange depth the EMG's offer.

I'm getting the Marshall JMV head on Monday, and I'll wait till I've played thru it with all my axes at training to see how they fare soundwise, but I'm kinda leaning towards swapping the Dirty Fingers to actives. I have a really nice Tesla active pair at hand too...