PDA

View Full Version : Finally Posting Some Clips

Commodore 64
October 1st, 2011, 10:10 AM
OK, none of us can sing very well. I can't play very well. But here's a clip of Highway 61. The other guitarist, Harry is playing slide, but you can't hear it well. Between the Wah/Fuzz he's using, and the crappy mic on the camera, it doesn't cut through at all. If you listen hard, I attempted a solo before the last verse.

I've got 2 more vids uploading now, I'll post them as they become available. I also recorded some noodling with my Pro Jr, Samick Jazzmaster, and Blues pedals, hope to have them up soon too.

So, uh, this is what 2 years of practice and 18 months of lessons will get you when you have a full time job and family competing for practice time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnvB9r4AziE

Commodore 64
October 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
Last Days of May with Layla Outro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1CMSFDfFY

Eric
October 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM
I couldn't hear much outside of PIANO, drums, and some clipping, but it looked like you were having fun. It's really hard to get everything to come through in those live recordings.

Your outro bit on the second song was pretty nice.

EDIT: I agree with Spud about putting these clips up. It's nice to see some recordings, and I hope I didn't come off as a dick.

Commodore 64
October 1st, 2011, 02:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRTrEklbk2c

Another clip, Jim the piano player went to the Layla well again at the end and took us a bit by surprise, and I flubbed some notes (as usual).

Spudman
October 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM
It's cool you put up these clips. You have more cajones that plenty of others so give yourself a pat on the back.

BTW - I used to cover Last Days of May briefly back in the 70's. Great tune and I like what you guys did.

helliott
October 2nd, 2011, 08:20 PM
Good stuff. No substitute for putting it all out there. Some better mic'ing would help if you could arrange other than a single camera mic. Keep swinging and posting your progress.

Robert
October 4th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Cool man, you're doing the right thing! Sounded pretty good I think.

Keep sharing and growing.

Lev
October 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I really enjoyed watching these clips. This is what playing music is all about, you're never too young, never too old, it's all about coming together and expressing yourselves in a positive way. Very well done indeed.

Algonquin
October 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM
+1 on what Lev said :applause

Well done C-64! :AOK

Commodore 64
October 4th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. My guitar teacher was in the audience, of course. He gave me good marks on guitar, and then proceeded to give me a lesson on singing. heh. We also did Down By the River, and I had to sing that one as well, but I don't have the guts to post that one. It's pretty bad.

The first time I watched this video, I was pretty disheartened. I thought I sounded terrible. There was no way I would consider posting these vids. A month later, I still think that, but I can see that this is a starting point, and that there's something there to build on. So I bit the bullet and figured out how to edit them and put them on youtube. I gotta find a better way to record the sound though.

The main thing though, it's fun. It's really fun to play with other people. It's so much better than sitting at home in front of an amp, grinding away. So, if I want to keep playing with people, I gotta do what they want. And they keep telling me to sing, and telling me to do some lead breaks/soloing on guitar. I'm uncomfortable doing that, but I just gotta suck it up and do it, and realize I'm not out there claiming to be Frank Sinatra on the vocals or Frank Zappa on the guitar. I'm just trying to learn as fast as I can and enjoy making the music. Most people understand. Which is to say, they don't throw rotten tomatoes at me. Or point and laugh (within my field of vision, at least).

Eric
October 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I gotta find a better way to record the sound though.
It's really hard. I've had a terrible time getting live room recordings, and the only thing that ever sounded worth a damn was when the sound dude took the mixer output and recorded it. So if you find a good way to record the sound, let me know.

R_of_G
October 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM
C64 - Firstly thanks for posting. It takes more guts than I have just to play in front of people and record it to share here so good on you just for that.

What I liked about these videos was how much fun everybody seemed to be having. Sound issues aside I could hear enough to know everyone that was playing was into it and without that what's the point? It is possible to play music and smile at the same time.

From what I was able to hear of your playing I enjoyed it a lot. I could hear well enough to know it was a tele even if it wasn't video. I like the song selection too.

Thanks for sharing these.

marnold
October 8th, 2011, 09:54 PM
The first time I watched this video, I was pretty disheartened. I thought I sounded terrible. There was no way I would consider posting these vids. A month later, I still think that, but I can see that this is a starting point, and that there's something there to build on. So I bit the bullet and figured out how to edit them and put them on youtube. I gotta find a better way to record the sound though.
It's not bad to be your own worst critic (I know I am with both my playin' and my preachin') but recording yourself is a great way to _really_ see how you are doing. It's also a WAY different thing to play with others in front of people who may be critical (viz, your teacher) vs. playing in your basement. Kudos for the playing and for posting it. I'm confident that after a while you'll come back to these videos and say to yourself, "You know, it wasn't that bad after all!"

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Playing and singing at the same time sucks. I can't do it to save my life. I can do it a little bit playing rhythm but I can't at all playing bass. It doesn't help that my voice is naturally second bass which lends itself to Doors covers but not a lot else.

R_of_G
October 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Playing and singing at the same time sucks. I can't do it to save my life. I can do it a little bit playing rhythm but I can't at all playing bass. It doesn't help that my voice is naturally second bass which lends itself to Doors covers but not a lot else.

I still think of playing and singing simultaneously as some kind of magic trick. I'm not great but I'm not a terrible singer depending on the material. I can not do it and play at the same time at all. I have tried it with bass as well and it's even more difficult.

Ch0jin
October 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM
It's really hard. I've had a terrible time getting live room recordings, and the only thing that ever sounded worth a damn was when the sound dude took the mixer output and recorded it. So if you find a good way to record the sound, let me know.

I helped some friends out a while back with video of a gig and that's exactly how I did it. I recorded video with two camera's and audio direct from the desk. Mix ingredients in video editor to taste. (Fade crowd noises in and out at start and end of songs and such, almost totally desk audio though)

Of course that only works if everything goes through the desk.

That aside. As everyone has said, nice job C64. I've owned a guitar for a lot longer than you have, and your'e up there doing it and I'm rocking out in my flat. Mad respect.

(Oh and I keep expecting to see you with the space balls helmet. It's funny how much avatars influence our mental image of people)

sunvalleylaw
October 14th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Good on ya! You guys are having fun and getting it done. That is a nice playing situation you have there! I like your efforts, and really like that you posted!

Commodore 64
October 17th, 2011, 01:30 PM
OK, well on October 29th, we are playing a Halloween party at a local Eagles club. I can't seem to get our band together to rehearse (I'm not the band "leader" anyways). We're rehearsing this Thursday and I think that's about it (I've been lobbying for Friday and Saturday too, LOL). Quick Synopsis:

1. We need about 3 hours of material.

2. We will be having chord charts.

3. We have to dress up.

I have a sneaking feeling this is gonna be a disaster. I'm hoping I can set up a camera somewhere to record the first set at least. Some songs I know we'll be playing:

That'll Be The Day
Rainey Night in Georgia
Back in the USA
Bad Moon RIsing
Brown Eyed Girl
Satisfaction
The Last Time
Gimme Shelter
When a Man Loves A Woman
Knock on Wood
Midnight Hour
Respect
Nowhere to Run
My Girl
Get Ready
Hold On, I'm Coming
Soul Man
Ain't Got You
Tobacco Road
Not Fade Away
For What It's Worth
All Day and All of the Night
Any Way You Want It
Somebody to Love
Evil Ways
Soul Sacrifice
Hound Dog
Blue Suede Shoes
A Couple Originals. Just two of them. One of them actually is decent. The other one, not so much (but don't tell anyone I said that).

Gotta Learn:
Monster Mash
Addams Family Theme (/me pukes)
Munsters Theme (/me pukes some more)

marnold
October 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
This might help you with the Munsters anyway.

http://www.bb-metalmethod.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13381

Commodore 64
October 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Marnold that link is so awesome. I don't think I can learn it that well, that fast, but that would be SUPER awesome, if we did a lead break and I could stomp on a pedal and rip something off like that.