PDA

View Full Version : Brown sound in a box?

Radioboy950
October 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Decided to go with Cmatmods "Brownie" for my overdrive/distortion needs.
Very happy with it.
Covers everything from Plexi(ish) drive to the hot-rodded Marshall tones for that great classic rock crunch. Chad includes a couple of extra JFETS for tweaking.
A couple of quick clips for ya, with the LP, through the Nolatone Rotten Johnny.
Amp set "on-the-edge" of breakup.
Clip #1 (http://www.box.net/shared/27c8q0dzpxgk4rcrzlkp) is set "plexi(ish) with a lower drive.
Clip #2 (http://www.box.net/shared/9jmturnjkgfh865rfga3) is set with a more "hot-rodded" gain.

Having never owned a Marshall, I can not say if a pedal even gets close to such a tone. But I still like the crunch the Brownie delivers.
What do you guys think? Is it a keeper?

guitartango
October 2nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Nice pedal, got to be a keeper.

Algonquin
October 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
I like both clips equally! :applause
Nice groove going in the secord clip.. well done, I like the sounds you're getting from your new stomp box.

Good post :AOK

Spudman
October 3rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
Very Marshallesque. What amph did you record those clips through?

Radioboy950
October 3rd, 2011, 07:44 PM
Very Marshallesque. What amph did you record those clips through?

The 1X12, 6V6, 15watt box of rock known as the Rotten Johnny from Nolatone. And I really dig the speaker I just put in. WGS' take on a G12H30 70th Anniversary, ""The Reaper 30".

marnold
October 3rd, 2011, 07:48 PM
Sounds cool and, as Spud pointed out, very Marshally!

Eric
October 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Nice tones from that thing. Was the difference between the two clips just knob positions, or was there a switch for the two different types?

Radioboy950
October 4th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Nice tones from that thing. Was the difference between the two clips just knob positions, or was there a switch for the two different types?
Yeah, just a difference in the level & gain knobs, Eric.
The controls (level, gain, tone) are very responsive, giving you a nice sweep through the dials.
And there is a ton of gain available, if that's your thing.
For example, I think the gain was set around 8-9 o'clock on clip 1...probably around 11 o'clock for clip 2.
And the amph was pretty clean (a little grit when you dig in).
I never really liked my TS-9 because it gets too thin and loses the low end.
Brownie is NOT a tube screamer. Similar to Wampler's Pinnacle and JHS Charlie Brown.

Ian B.
October 10th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Nice tone :thumbsup Kinda reminds me of my Purple Plexi pedal.