PDA

View Full Version : Strat pos 2 vol very low with new pickups

progrmr
October 3rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
I put 2 new GFS single coils and a GFS lil killer rail in the bridge position on my affinity strat.

The volume in position 2 (bridge and middle pickups) is VERY low. It not the humbucker either because I bought and installed the two single coils before the humbucker and the pos 2 volume was very low then and didn't get any louder after the rail pickup was installed.

All the other positions sound normal. Switch or pot problem you think? Any idea where I should start looking or what the problem might be?

Bookkeeper's Son
October 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Is the volume low only with the bridge and middle together, as opposed to either pickup by its lonesome?

progrmr
October 4th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Yes - they sound fine using either just the bridge or just the middle pickup,

t_ross33
October 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hey progrmr, i dropped a lil killer in the bridge position in my MIM strat and wired it up according to Fender's Fat Strat wiring diagram, as well as moving the middle tone pot to the bridge position. Neck and middle p'ups remained stock. I too noticed a drop in volume in the bridge/middle position. I do know that the Fat Strat wiring takes one of the humbucker coils out of the equation. I think the lil killer measures 6.7... not sure what the output would be with the coil split. I'm guessing that is the reason for the drop in volume ?? Still sounds good, just quieter than the other switch positions.

markb
October 11th, 2011, 01:13 PM
It sounds like the pickups are out of phase. You'll need to swap two of the wires on the humbucker but don't ask me which ones. GFS' wiring instructions should tell you.

progrmr
October 11th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Well, I had this problem before I had the humbucker installed - I had GFS single coils in the neck and middle, and the stock single coil in the bridge. Same issue so it can't be related to the humbucker.