PDA

View Full Version : Which Humbucker Set?

WelcomeBack
November 28th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I'm still looking at putting new PUPs in my Epi Les Paul Std. Currently have the stock pups and want to upgrade.

Here are some sets I'm considering: Bridge/Neck

Dimarzio Super Distortion/PAF Pro
Pearly Gates/'59
Duncan Cusom 5/'59

Duhvoodooman and Nelskie have already written poetry about the PG/'59 combo....so any more input?

Mostly play Rhythm, very little lead, and like everything from Classic, Blues, and Modern (say Velvet Revolver, Fuel, etc). If amps matter, I currently have a Fender Blues Jr. and a Vox AD30VT I can't seem to part with.

Thanks for the help
Paul (WelcomeBack)

kerc
November 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Welcomeback, Reverend Guitars sells the PAF-style humbuckers they use on their guitars for $65 per matched set.

Spudman
November 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM
You might want to look around the Epiphone forums and see if anyone can steer you right.

Tone2TheBone
November 29th, 2006, 08:42 AM
The SD Pearly Gates is a wonderful pickup as is the '59. Dimarzio makes nice PAFs too. I've heard Duncan Antiquities are smokin'. Today you have lots of great choices. You could also get a set of Gibson Burst Bucker Pros.

duhvoodooman
November 29th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Seymour Duncan's "favorite" combo of an SH-2 Jazz at the neck and an SH-4 JB at the bridge is extremely popular. I have that combo in my Epi Dot and am very happy with it. Have read great things about the Custom 5 for the bridge position, as well.

If you don't play much lead, a super hot p'up like most of the ceramics probably wouldn't suit you well. For your "mostly rhythm" style, maybe you want to consider "vintage" style 'buckers at both positions, like a pair of '59's or Seth Lover's. I'm not personally familiar with the DiMarzio models, but I'm sure they have a lot of excellent options, as well.

SuperSwede
November 29th, 2006, 11:26 AM
My advice would be either a set of Gibson 57 classic or the Jazz/JB set. Stay far away from the Dimarzio Super Distorsion.. the are very hot, and a bit harsh sounding.

F_BSurfer
November 29th, 2006, 05:23 PM
In the same boat here wanting to replace pickups in my Agile way to many choices when I think I have my mind made up I go and rethink it at first was going to go with the PG/59 but now think I'm leaning twords the jazz/jb or GFS fat paf

Spudman
November 29th, 2006, 05:52 PM
There are some other great combinations in the Dimarzio line too. The Air Norton and Tonezone. Steve's special and PAF or PAF Pro. Super Distortion too. All kinds of stuff. Do you want muscle or not? Do you play through digital effects or not? Some pups are better suited for that.
Or just do what Slash does. Use his combo. I'm not sure what that is but it usually sounds good for an LP.
Steve Hacket also plays a LP and gets awesome tones. See what he's using.

stingx
November 29th, 2006, 07:01 PM
My http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8338/2cents3fo.gif...

I have a Brian Moore equipped with Duncans (Alnico II+Alnico Single+JB) and the GFS PAF Boutiques I bought to replace the Duncan Designed ones in my Schecter sound just as good. Terrific pickups at any price point. I paid for both less than what just one Duncan would cost. I thought it was all hype before I bought, I was all set to buy the same Duncans I was familiar with as replacements in the Schecter but I figured I couldn't go wrong trying the GFS pups for the price. I have turned several friends on to them since. By the way, they ship incredibly fast. I got them in my mailbox TWO DAYS after ordering them.

Spudman
November 29th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks Stingx. I've had my eye on those too. Now I know.
I ordered some pups from GFS a while ago and they are great to deal with and do ship quickly. Good company all the way.

Tell us about the sound of those.

Plank_Spanker
November 30th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Alot of good suggestions here. My favorites would be the PG / '59, JB / Jazz, JB / '59.

sunvalleylaw
November 30th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Alot of good suggestions here. My favorites would be the PG / '59, JB / Jazz, JB / '59.

A related question would be what humbucker mod could turn a Squier '51 into a hot little rocker with a twang? Maybe this should be in a separate place but since we are talking humbuckers. Maybe Robbert's new PUs he ordered will answer the question.

WelcomeBack
December 4th, 2006, 07:25 AM
F_BSurfer....my boat has been floating awhile.

I've also been checking out the Duncan APH-1 alnico II pro™ ....at least for the neck....maybe both. Supposed to be similar to the Seth Lover, Hmmm!

These GFS PAF Boutiques I may check out. Ahhhh! Why do I do this to myself.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep this thread going.

Paul