PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs has died

progrmr
October 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM
It being reported that Steve Jobs lost his battle with pancreatic cancer, only 56.

RIP

sunvalleylaw
October 5th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I just saw this as I logged on, with Apple being my home page. It saddens me very much. Rest in peace.

Robert
October 5th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Very sad news. He did amazing things.

Tig
October 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Sad.
It makes since after seeing his weakened physical body lately. Pancreatic cancer is usually detected late and is very hard to survive.

Eric
October 5th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I heard that news too. It's always sad when someone dies 'before their time,' whatever that means.

sunvalleylaw
October 5th, 2011, 10:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G0FtgZNOD44

djmcconnell
October 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM
It's a sad day to be sure. I've had a Mac on my desk for all but two of the past 25 years, and that made my job easier and more enjoyable.

Katastrophe
October 5th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Sad to read of the loss of a titan in the computer world. RIP

guitartango
October 6th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Hate to say this but i wonder if Steve designed his own "Death Page" on the apple website? Typical Apple---- black and white picture with the words Steve Jobs 1955-2011

poodlesrule
October 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Stanford commencement, 2005 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc)

I do like the bit about adoption, as spouse is in that branch of social services (public, not the private sector cottage industry greedy bastards).

R_of_G
October 6th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Very sad to learn of Jobs' passing. Fifty-six is far too young for anyone to leave this life.

I've been a loyal Apple consumer since my first Apple IIC when I was a teenager.

The world is a better place for having had Steve Jobs in it.

stingx
October 6th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I'm not exactly a huge fan of Apple, although I cut my teeth in the industry on an Apple II and I currently rock an iPhone. That said, I have to hand it to Jobs - he took a mystical, geeky hobby and turned it into an appliance/necessity for the masses. He made computers COOL. The man was ousted from a company he co-founded and came back when it was down for the count and turned it around to become the second most successful/profitable company in the world today. The guy wasn't just a visionary, he was a goddamn genius. The most successful and relevant CEO of the last 50 years. You'll never see his likeness again. The saddest thing to me is that he died so young and could have accomplished so much more - if that is even possible considering what he already achieved.

How fitting that I learned of his passing on a device that he created.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs.

Glacies
October 6th, 2011, 08:03 AM
RIP Steve Jobs

My only apple product is an iPod, but I recognize that the world has lost a true genius, a technological innovator and one of the greatest world influences of our time.

R_of_G
October 6th, 2011, 08:38 AM
How fitting that I learned of his passing on a device that he created.

+1

Same here.

My only apple product is an iPod...

I'm not sure any device has been as important to me personally than the iPod.

I've always been a person who has tried to utilize any personal portable music device pretty much since they existed. Whether Walkman or portable CD player I always came up against the same issue, there was only so much of the library I could reasonably take with me. The only other option was to listen to radio over which I had no control of the playlist.

The iPod was the thing I'd always dreamt existed, a way to take a reasonably large portion of my library with me wherever I went. I've had one since the beginning and have upgraded several times. I currently have two that I use regularly that are loaded for different purposes and changed often. I refer to them as my life support system.

The way the iPod has allowed me to listen to music in many different situations has had a tremendous influence on the way I play music and for that I can never be grateful enough to Steve Jobs.

marnold
October 6th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I've never been a user of Apple products, but Jobs impact on computing is undeniable. He's one of the true visionaries. As a matter of fact, if I owned Apple stock, I'd consider dumping it now. Apple was almost dead before Jobs came back. I don't know that they have anyone with the "vision thing."

bcdon
October 6th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Steve Wozniak talks about his old friend here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/wozniak-remembers-steve-jobs/2011/10/06/gIQAAINvPL_video.html

stingx
October 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I saw that earlier. He looks very broken up. Feel badly for his loss.

Eric
October 6th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I don't know that they have anyone with the "vision thing."
It's going to be interesting to sit back and watch what happens with Apple. I'll never buy anything from them unless they drastically change their policies, so I don't really care if they sink back to the pack or not, but it should be reasonably entertaining.

I kind of liken that transcending-the-industry thing to Sony back in the 90s (or whenever it was), when the brand was its own status symbol. Now they're just another company, which seems to be the fate for a lot of those zeitgeist sort of companies.

Perfect Stranger
October 7th, 2011, 05:58 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2j26lgy.jpg

Tig
October 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2j26lgy.jpg

Very cool! :socool

Tig
October 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Very sad to learn of Jobs' passing. Fifty-six is far too young for anyone to leave this life.

I've been a loyal Apple consumer since my first Apple IIC when I was a teenager.

The world is a better place for having had Steve Jobs in it.I had a IIc as well. My brother had a IIe.

I love my simple yet useful iPods. I use them for audio books for my commute, backing tracks, and of course, portable music.